Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

Love watching your ride come together! I am really diggin those engine mounts too! Keep us posted on the progress.

2. Noland

Noland

Sorry guys, Its been a while sense Ive posted any updated on my car. Im still working on it. Just having computer and camera problems. I have a few pictures but most are on another memory card and I cant seem to get them on to the computer. Oh well, I ll post what I have then Im going to get some more pictures later of some of the other stuff Ive been working on.

I built the passenger side header, Im waiting on the drivers side because I still have some steering issues to resolve before I build the header. I started out with some ugly speedway headers that were for a SBF. I actually used the drivers side header to build the passenger side.

[​IMG]

And with Alot of cutting, fitting, and blending this is what I came up with. I made the flanges myself out of some 1/4" plate/band and a hole saw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also manage to get my transmission tunnel built. It will be removable for easy transmission access. I started with a bread holder thing from subway. Its the thing that has all the shelfs with a glass door that they store the cooked bread in. It was made of 16 ga aluminum.

[​IMG]

with some some cutting,bending,polishing, and welding I managed to make this.

[​IMG]

Ill try to get some more updates up soon.

Tim likes this.
  3. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Very cool...Great Ideas man..

4. Tommy R

Tommy R

This is fantastic! I really like your vision and can't wait to see more... What I'd give for your motivation. Makes me feel like a damned slacker!!

5. I really like what all you have done on this build......Lot's of thinking things through with great workmanship. Keep it going as I can't wait to see the finished hot rod...

6. Rem

Rem

Really nice work - love the use of other things for the raw materials. Those headers look great, especially considering how they started out!

7. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

I think the fresh bread smell when it got warm would drive me crazy!:D

Nice job on the tunnel and firewall bracing. Makes you want to use lexan to cover it so you can still see it all...

8. Noland

Noland

Thanks Everyone for the support.

Thats sort of the plan, the floor is going to be colored lexan. Just in the drivers compartment the trunk will have a sheetmetal floor. And all the bread will be stale by the time I get this car on the road.:D

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'd get hungry every time.. Speaking of 'wich (pun intended), dinner-time.

Looking great, Noland!

10. retroridesbyrich

retroridesbyrich
    from Central NC

11. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Noland, how much room do you have in the pedal area? Does the extended bell take up more area vs a non-extended bell - like where the gas pedal goes?

Thanks

[​IMG]

12. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man thats bad ass. As far as the weight saved from the small holes that were drilled with a regular bit, I believe you said 1/2".. What if you cut a piece the same size as the hole from the same gauge metal and figure out what it weights (not much, so kinda hard to weight I suppose), then multiply it by the number of holes? I mean, its a lot of trouble but if its a significant number of holes, it could be fun to find out!

13. Noland

Noland

yea it definetly takes up more room because it doesnt taper like a trans bell would on a non-extended engine would. I have a gas pedal made up. I ll have to take a picture of it. I used a spoon pedal from a 33 ford truck and some mail sorting machine parts and came up with something that I think should work.

Yea I wonder too but I dont know if Im that concerned to try and figure out. theres not actually a whole lot of 1x1 square used. there is alot more 2x1.I actually eliminated the 2 diagional braces from the floor that are in the picture above. I felt they were unneeded and if Im going to have a see threw floor I kinda want to be able to see the road. I use a unibit for those holes.its easier and they make a nice round hole.

Thanks everyone for the kind words

14. ChoppedRodBrad

ChoppedRodBrad

Wow this build is blowing me away! When I started looking at this build I did not expect this much quality and creativity. Thumbs up man! Can't wait for the rest.

15. The '32 header just looks right on a model A, you nailed it my friend. Keep up the great work!

16. Noland

Noland

yea and Im hoping its only going to get better or better.

thanks, yea it totally changes the look of the car

17. n847

n847

Thanks for burning up the last hour or so of my Saturday morning! This build is very impressive and inspirational I don't know how I've missed it this far but I'm subscribed now. I have seen several ideas I will be stealing.
    Man I really love the Idea of the Lexan floor and the trans tunnel looks great. That will be wild.

Stupid questions here but when you use those unibits and hole saws what kind of life are you getting out of them? I love unibits but they get expensive if you can't make them last. Fortunatly for me my brother has a stash of dozens of them he bought from a tool guy going out of buisness for pennies on the dollar in various sizes and I get them for free! As for the hole saws I've only used HF brand hole saws and they don't hold up to much metal use. Are you using a cutting fluid?

Any way keep up the god work!

18. Noland

Noland

Im honestly used the same irwin unibit for the whole car so far,it was used when I started but its about due for replacement. I only use it for the 1x1 square and some other odd jobs. I still use regular drill bits quite a bit.As far as hole saws I use a set of Milwakee Bi metal.Then I have some lenox bi metal also. They last me a long while Ive only had to replace one because I broke it using a hand drill. They can be bought at lowes or home depot. I do use alot of cutting oil of some type also go slow.

19. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Ken, your build is cool. I really like the heavy-duty construction, & your use of big truck parts - like F-600 tie rods. That car will be solid!

Thanks for the hemi measurements.

20. Noland

Noland

Thanks, yea Im trying to use parts you dont always see used and make it strong but also prevent it from looking too big and bulky for the little car at the same time. No problem on the measurements hope they helped out.

As far as the car goes I have been working on it and making progess slowly,but my camera junked out so I need to buy another one so I can post some pictures of what Ive been up too.

21. Tnomoldw

Tnomoldw

<TABLE id=post8274722 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 0px solid" class=thead><!-- status icon and date -->[​IMG] 10-20-2012, 10:52 AM <!-- / status icon and date --></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=thead align=right>#167 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #e5e5e5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #e5e5e5 0px solid; BORDER-RIGHT: #e5e5e5 1px solid" class=alt2 width=175>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>n847 said,''Man I really love the Idea of the Lexan floor and the trans tunnel looks great. That will be wild.'' Tnomoldw
    ''I wanna go where the lights are low where I can go'n spend my dough an dance with the dolly with the wooden leg''

Attached Files:

22. Any progress Noland?? This thing was one of my favorite builds

23. Noland

Noland

yes progess is being made, slow and steady wins the race.always try to put atleast a few hours a week in on it. thats only way a project like this gets done. The problem is I cant get the pictures from my camera to upload onto my computer. Makes me mad. Ive tried a few times with no luck.
    But yea Ive been building all kinds of stuff for the car. I made front hairpins, zed the front of the frame 2 inchs to get alittle more radical rake. got alot of the passenger side patched. got a bunch of welding done. Just ordered a bunch of parts from macs. Hope to be able to post an update with pictures soon. Thanks for looking and asking.

24. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

WOW!!! It's so awesome. I'm all about home, custom fab. Work and I love all the work you put in to it. I'm building my car like you. Made my oun custom frame, suspension, firewall and floor. Except I think I'm going to redo the floor. I'm going to keep flowing your build. I'll be that good some day

25. johnod

johnod

This is a very cool car, subscribed.

26. I'm glad to hear you're still working on it. I can't wait for pictures man, it sounds like you've been busy as hell! I'll be patiently waiting!

27. 39WILLZ

39WILLZ

Hey just found this build and got to say it looks great love the 32 header panel idea keep up the great work regards wayne

28. Noland

Noland

Thanks very much. Yea I like building cars like this. I dont want something that looks like you bought the car out of a summit or speedway catalog or like everyone else got. I want it to be my own. As far as having to redo stuff. I just tackweld alot of stuff because it makes it alot easier to fix or change. Im always changing stuff it seems.

Thanks. Be alot cooler when its done and Im driving it.

Thanks, yea I like being busy. Try to get pictures up soon.

Thanks, awesome looking willys. Hope to own one of those someday

29. Just spent two hours reading this. Great work.

Walt

30. bobbyjack

bobbyjack

Oh yeah I'm the same. Make something one way and decide I can do it better. I'll post my car some day.