Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "RUSTY" Hemi Model A on 32 frame build: updated 10/25/15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Noland, Nov 26, 2011.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Busted!!!

Rear spring brackets are nice looking. Steady progress...keep it coming.

2. Noland

Noland

Thanks everyone for the kind words, thunderbirdesq thats one awesome thread you got going aswell.

3. Noland

Noland

thanks, yea steady progress is how you get these things done. alittle bit at a time, cant become overwelmed with the task at hand.

4. Frame works looking awesome dude!

5. Noland

Noland

Thanks Man, not too bad for a punk kid. I just put some thought into it, and alot of time too.

brEad likes this.
  6. Noland

Noland

I did change the ladder bar crossmember like I said I was going to. I thought it was just to plain and I couldnt figure out a way to make the drive shaft loop look good. I was thinking about an I beam look like I used on many other parts but I decided against it. I did flip the plate the ladder bars mount to so the tie rods could come in from the bottom. I decided to give the car a more radical rake so this actually worked to my benefit setting my pinion angle right were it needs to be at 4 degrees. Well heres what I came up with.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and installed
    [​IMG]

7. Noland

Noland

I managed to get some new subrails fabricated for the car, using 2x1 rectangle tubing and a bunch of cutting and welding. I didnt take a picture of them but theyre pretty simple. But I did manage to start getting the body mocked up. I still have to add all the bracing to keep it square while I attach it to the new subrails.
    [​IMG]
    I also received my rear wheels from summit, they are the pulsar series. the rears are 15x10 and the fronts are 15x4 which Im waiting for they were backordered. Im happy with the way they look really didnt like the 15x8 because the offset makes it look funny. now I just need tires.
    [​IMG]

8. Noland

Noland

managed today to start building/rebuilding the door posts of the car to attach them to the new subrails.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2012
    brEad likes this.
  9. Noland

Noland

I got the body secured and braced enough that I could start to chop the coupe. I didnt want a super big chop so I chopped it 2 1/2" in the rear and 3 1/4 in front to give it alittle more raked effect. I also moved the top of the roof ahead 7/8" to give the back of the roof a slanted forward look instead of being straight up and down. this makes for alot more work in the chop but I thing it will be worth it in the end.
    [​IMG]
    Then I started fitting a 32 header and windsheild post to the model A cowl and roof. I think its going to look pretty cool when its all back together.
    [​IMG]

10. Noland

Noland

Still working on the same car, I managed to get the 32 front header and windsheild post all tacked in where I like it. Im leaving all the final welding go till I get the chop near complete in case I have to tweak or do something different. I still have to make a million little pieces to make everything fit right.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I started on fitting the quarter window. I cut the top part of the window out and moved it back 1/2" and leaned the bottom foward to meet up with it. this gave it the same angle as the back of the roof. Then I cut the raingutter of to fix the rust underneath of it. I will eventually make a new rain gutter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I made the patch fairly simply. I just used my HF bead roller to put the step in it for the raingutter. It worked out nice. Then I tiged it in place.

[​IMG]

I also made the patch for the quarter window were it was rotted out. I use the beadroller to make the step in it as well. I didnt get a chance to fit and weld it in yet but Im pleased with the outcome of the patch.

[​IMG]

11. You've got some neat ideas. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

12. Noland

Noland

Thanks Riley, yea I wanted to do something different with this car because I already have a Model A and I didnt really want two of the same car.

13. I SMELL SMOKE

I SMELL SMOKE

this thing is going to look killer!!!!!

14. Noland

Noland

Thanks thats the plan. I hope anyways. Your car is looking awesome too.

15. jimbo121

jimbo121

Cool build. I like your ideas.

16. Noland

Noland

Thanks Jimbo

17. Noland

Noland

I got the door top sheetmetal made and tacked on. I still need to make/modify the inner so I have something to attach the tin to. I used the same process as I did with the quarter window. That bead roller is really paying for itself on this project. The reason I made a whole new top was because the old top was full of holes. I hope on the right side I will be able to use more of the top.
    [​IMG]

18. Daaggumm... get down with your bad-self.

I'm enjoying watching it come together and it does have a sweet profile too.

19. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

20. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

This is going to be cool. I like the way the top is shaping up.

21. nailhead terry

nailhead terry

Look's cool but I think it,s a 31 and a 1/2 they were real rare or a A/B man I realy like the 32 header on a 30 31 a was it the right width at the cowl .I will no longer complain about my 5 window keep up the good work !!

22. Noland

Noland

Thanks everyone, Yea Im happy with the profile and the way everything is coming together. I think its going to look pretty bad ass when its done.

23. Noland

Noland

Haha yea I call it the 32 model A. The header fits almost perfectly to the car. I think at the bottom of the windsheild post it was about 1/8'' to wide so I just pushed it together that little bit. Im also making it so the doors no longer overlap. I know this might be alittle too far or "streetroddish" but it was the only way I could think of making my plans for the rocker treatment work.

24. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

great progress! how much is it chopped? it's amazing how you are stitching that holey metal back together. in some places it doesn't look like there is enough to work with.

25. Noland

Noland

Its chopped 2 1/2" in the rear and 3 1/4 up front. Yea it alittle rough around the edges. I just dont have the heart to take a perfectly good running model A and cut it up. Cant afford it either.

26. Noland

Noland

I got most of the drivers side door jam built and welded in. Making it so the door doesnt overlap anymore was a really pain. I also moved the front part of the quarter window back 3/16'' so that the door and window post are still the same thickness so that the doors not fat and the window post skinny. I made the inner out of a piece of 2X1" rectangle tubing I laid flat and I put some holes in it to give it some character and save alittle weight. I used 1/8" steel pop rivets to tie the outer tin to the inner stucture. because I didnt want to weld on the seam or put plug welds. I then Tig welded the center hole up and ground it smooth so it looked like a nail head or rivet. Im also replacing all the old nails that attach the quarter panel to the post with pop rivets and doing the same thing so the theme continues threw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also managed to make a new drip rail made and welded on. I just bent it up in the brake and use my engine crane to tweak the ends into shape. It just looks like a model A rain gutter it not fancy like a 32. I cant stand to look at these old fords without rain gutters I think they make the car. Make it look like a steel car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Tank

Tank

Subscribed. I like it so far!

28. No_Respect

No_Respect
    from So-Cal

Wow your making something out of Nothing!!!!! This is awesome keep up the progress

29. Noland

Noland

Thanks

I dont know about completely from nothing. I had a complete Model A it was rusty but you have to start somewhere. You just have to rebuild what is gone.