Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rusty Crusty 283 Build?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Feb 26, 2016.

1. slack

slack

"Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations." :cool: (even when presented with photographic evidence.) I get called a kid too, wolf but my wife's, go to derogatory term is "redneck" and it makes me swell with pride (of course, I don't let her in on that.):rolleyes:
    I'll be taking the ridge reamer back to the parts store today and the piston boiling will commence at approximately 1330 hrs.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. My wife is proud of the fact she is a redneck. She carries a handgun with her every place she goes and has a rebel flag decal in the back glass of her vehicle.

Rex_A_Lott, slack and leadfootloon like this.
  3. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

I'm enjoying the 283 build. I've got a plan now. I'm going to print this thread and show it to my wife so she sees how lucky she is that I don't cook parts in the kitchen and take baths with transmissions. While she's sitting back contemplating how great I am, I'm going to order that new diff I need for my 9" and hide it in the basement. I'll also delete my browser history....

slack and falcongeorge like this.
  4. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's the greatest invention since indoor plumbing!

5. I was over in the shop cleaning up the pistons. I found one that had a bent rod. and four more that where too corroded or had cracked skirts. So I will just use the set of pistons & rods that have been knurled. Ive been cleaning them up. Wire wheel removing the carbon from the piston tops and .cutting the carbon from the ring grooves. My social security Ponzi check arrives wednesday. So I will go get some powdered molassis, acetone, auto trans fluid, sand paper, oven cleaner , detergent and a box of those blue industrial paper towels. Im making a list and will add to it as i think of stuff I will need.

6. slack

slack

Operation "piston boil" came off without a hitch. I put two teaspoons of vanilla extract on a cookie sheet in the oven on 350 and the whole house smells like an angel fart. Of course, it wouldn't matter anyway. I ain't scared of her and I run this damn show!:mad: (and if I want her to know that, I'll tell her.);)

falcongeorge likes this.
  7. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's a new one to me, just like when I heard; slick as a cum covered eel, or easy as pulling a greasy string out of a cat's ass, I'm not sure I want you to tell me how you know what an angel's fart smells like. Better not do that to St. Michael, he carries a knife.

8. slack

slack

You actually witnessed the birth of that one, coined on the spot. It was the most descriptive terminology I could think of. Try it (the vanilla thing) and tell me I'm wrong.

9. slack

slack

If you don't mind Wolf, What about sharing that list? I've got a couple quarts trans fluid, that be enough? also are you talking about aerosol oven cleaner?

10. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

To avoid a lot of problems on the home front, I usually just fire up the pit and boil everything outside. It keeps me from getting yelled at and I get to play with fire. How can you go wrong with that?

11. slack

slack

I like the way you think but our government, in their infinite wisdom, has decided that us peons don't have enough sense to tend a fire (and I don't doubt there are many these days who can't) so they tell us when we can burn and when we can't. I almost got a fine over this stupid crap so I gave up on it.

falcongeorge likes this.
  12. Inked Monkey

Inked Monkey

That's one of the reasons I have a privacy fence. Works fine until the brush pile is too big and the flames are over 6 feet tall.....

13. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

Do you have a BBQ grill? You can probably fit 5 or 6 cans on a 22" Weber at once. I usually tend the fire with an old machete and have a chainsaw near by. That way if the machete doesn't scare them off, I fire up the chainsaw and tell them I can't hear them over the noise. Problem solved.

14. slack

slack

Now you're talkin but the deed is done ( slicker'n a minner's [minnow's] dick, I might add.) Next time though, next time.:cool:

15. Ok ive got my puter fixed where i can post pictures again. I pressed off the bent rod and placed it next to a good one. I also bought 50 pounds of powdered molassis. It cost $14.50 at the feed store. I will start the electrolisis on the block in the next few days. rusty 283 405.JPG rusty 283 408.JPG rusty 283 410.JPG rusty 283 417.JPG

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  16. How long will you keep the block in the molasses?

17. bchctybob

bchctybob

Our feed store sells liquid molasses (about 90 wt) in 5 gallon buckets - same price. I put ten gallons in the Rubbermaid 100 gallon tub and added 15 gallons of water. The older it gets the faster it works. It de-rusts an old oil pan in about a week when fresh, about 3 days when aged. Doesn't do all that great on cast iron IIRC....?
    I cap the holes in the block (don't use aluminum) and pour muriatic acid into the water jackets. Comes out looking like new cast iron. Don't breathe the stuff though - REALLY nasty. It works on the outside too if there's no paint but I don't like to get that up close and personal with that stuff.

18. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I had recently bought a 57 Chevrolet, 265 block, and it came with the crank, but it had been out of the block for some years. The crank was pretty rusty, though nothing "rust scale". I went at the crank first with a wire brush by hand, and then dropped it into a molasses bath for 2 days. Rinsed it off, rebrushed a few spots, then put it back in the molasses bath for 2 more days. Rinsed it off, rerinsed with clean kerosene/oil mix, then dried it off, and reoiled it. It's ready to go to the machine shop; you'd never know it was rusty at all. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

20. there are a couple of things that might bend a rod like that. water or oil on top of a piston. Or In this instance Im gonna say mud wasp. The engine was in a 59 bob truck with rams horn exhaust and no pipes. We pulled it out and put it in a 61 pk. and Im pretty certan a mud wasp had built on top of a piston. And when the dirt clod packed up into the quench area. it bent the rod. It never did run quite right and really burned oil.

21. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Mud wasp?!! Man, Thats a first for me! Of course being from the PNW, I just assumed the cylinder was full of water, like everything else around these parts...:rolleyes::p

23. Yes we have thes dirt baubers wasp. they carry mud and build nest that the pack fill of paralized spiders.lay a egg and the larvie feed on the spiders. one type a 3/8 bolt hole is a favorite place to nest. another type makes fist size nest anyplace they can. The engine has never been Rained in so In pretty certan it was the wasp. I bought a M farmall tractor setting in a barn. The spark plugs where missing and you could see the cyls where packed full of mud wasp nest. So I began jabbing the now set up like adobe mud with a screwdriver. break it up and blow it out with compressed air. added a long piece of 3/8 brake line to my air blower. eventually got it mostly cleaned out. soaked the cyls in a mixture of diesel and auto trans fluid. And the engine wasnt stuck. Pulled it with another tractor turning it over without any spark plugs. blew the dirty mixture from the cyls. Then It started after putting in spark plugs and a battery. I was a LP tractor and Im still using it. I fixed a D7 17A caterpillar that had a bent rod. The exhaust was left open and it rainde inthe engine. The operator fired up the two cyl pony engine. and put the pony trans in low range and turned it over. If he would of used the compression release it likely would not have been damaged. Any way he got it started and it went to missing. We did the injector swap and decided the head needed to come off. Pulled the head and had it on the tailgate looking at it. valves all good. WTF! Something not right. My son Chris was 12 and was there helping. He stated I know what is wrong with it. The rod is bent. You can see it lacks two inches comint up to the top of the block. Sure enough therod was bent. It was bentso bad the rod had broken the bottom of the cyl liner where it protrudes below the block at the bottom. We changed the sleeve & rod , piston pin bushing and rings on that cyl. and it ran perfect. I think the diesels high compression made the rod keep bending after the water had started the process.

slack and falcongeorge like this.
  24. slack

slack

We have John Deere dozer with a four cylinder Ford that was blowing copious amounts of oil out the valve cover gasket . I knew what it was immediately. The dirt daubers had built in the draft tube. It took an hour to dig it out. The longer they sit, the harder the mud sets up. They will build in any open orifice. If i have to leave a part open for more than a day or so, I have to put tape over it. You're lucky you don't have them. I thought they were everywhere on the planet (the pains in the ass.) There is even a case where they brought down an airliner full of people. The daubers had built in an uncovered pitot tube.o_O

falcongeorge likes this.
  25. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Sounds like you guys from down south have all the fun! This is the first time I have ever felt sorry for spiders, man, thats GRIM!!

26. Most spiders eat other insects. many like flies. we have some trap door spiders out back. at nite their eyes glow and they are easy to locate. The little jumping spiders are fun to watch. The brown recluse are a real problem in the south.

27. spiders don't bother me, the cob webs are annoying.

enloe and slack like this.
  28. horizontal coil 006.JPG Pictures of mud wasp nest. the secnd picture is of the one who fills up 3/8 holes with a white colored dirt. horizontal coil 007.JPG horizontal coil 008.JPG

29. Them mud daubers are a pain.

30. sharpmark

sharpmark

we have those wasps that fill up holes in New Zealand and call them paperwasps. real pain in the butt with anything you are storing that they have access too. enjoying reading your thread , thanks. Keep up the good work!