Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

Ronco Magneto?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by brigrat, Aug 9, 2011.

1. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a mag on classifieds for sale, I get a PM asking this question

"Hello, does the mag you have for sale have a locked advance? If so, can it be unlocked or is it welded?"

How can I tell so I can answer his question?
    Are the advance plates under the tower at the base like a Flamethrower?
    Under the cap every nut and bolt has a Yellow dot of paint on them telling me that it has never been messes with, is that correct thinking or just whishfull?
    Thanks
  2. Homespun91

Homespun91 Member

3. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Homespun, thanks for the link but didn't find my answer about the advance set up.
    Where's Bubba when you need him?
  4. koth

koth Member

I have a few magnetos and I can tell you the difference. A find out if the timing is locked, you have to remove the base of the mag from the top.
    To do this you need a special tool to loosen the nuts that have a slot in them.
    Flip the mag upside down and you will see them on either side. There are two in a row on both sides.
    Once you have removed the lower assembly, if the unit has fixed timing there is a large plastic block in there.
    If you see a number of thin plates all held in with a pair of clips, then you have an adjustable style.
    Hope this helps!
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. brigrat

brigrat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Kloth that's the info I was afraid of!