Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rodders Digest still in business ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by seldom scene, Jul 24, 2008.

1. seldom scene

seldom scene

I haven't seen a copy of Rodders Digest or American Rodder in my mailbox for a long time. Has Buckaroo gone out of business ? It seems like all if I have to do is renew a subscription to jinx a mag. They sent me a hat I didn't want, but no more magazines.
    Does anyone know whats up.

2. T-Roy

T-Roy

Be careful when posting a thread concerning rod mags as I recently found out... Search "Street Rodder" or it may still be on the first page... :rolleyes:

But to answer your question, it seems like it's been a while since I've seen them on the stands too...

3. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

They stopped running ads and therefore could no longer afford to keep there mags on the shelf:D:D

4. seldom scene

seldom scene

I guess I was hoping someone on here would tell me that I haven't been burned again.

5. BIG JOHN 37

BIG JOHN 37
    from central NJ

there hasn't been a rodders digest on the shelf since last fall, (nsra nats coverage) american rodder is supposed to be bi - monthly, but only shows up quarterly, guess they're counting on street rod builder and super rod to keep them afloat - have said it before on here, john diana this is no way to run a company, didn't you learn anything from bob petersen?

6. Paint

Paint

Buckaroo was at Goodguys Columbus, they said that there is a new issue of Rodders Digest coming but they couldn't say when.
    Didn't sound good..........

7. I saw a new issue of Super Rod the other day. All late model cars. Haven't seen any of the others in a while, but where I usually get magazines the people blow at putting them out timely or regularly.

8. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

I got the August issue of Street Rod Builder the other day..........it's my last. I didn't renew, because of the way they handle Rodder's Digest and American Rodder. I can't find a website for either magazine, I e-mailed them through one of the other mags and they didn't respond. They sent a renewal notice for SRB, and I sent a letter in the "enclosed envelope".......the only response was another renewal notice.......followed by a final notice. Great Customer Service, huh? They got my last check........the one that renewed Rodders Digest a year ago........

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

Buckaroo was one of the big players for a while there, or at least they seemed to be. In todays age of internet and changing tastes amongst readers, you either adapt and evolve or you go extinct. Sad, I always looked forward to reading the next Rodders Journal...

10. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

Rodders Digest was one of my favorite magazines until they sold it. then it was down hill from there. Buckaroo brought the name back, but it just didn't have the same feel as it did when Burger ran the show.

on 2 occasions a letter to the editor of mine was published in that magazine. does that make me a published author? just trying to fluff up my resume.

11. Arizona Geezer

Arizona Geezer

LOL.........I had one also! I always liked 15 Things...........now that would be the missing magazines.

12. I gave up on American Rodder once they bowed down to the soccer moms and lost the bikinis.

13. I think they are talking about Roddrs Digest not Rodders Journal.Two different mags..

14. T-Roy

T-Roy

Thank you for explaining that. That's classic... :D

15. FritzTownFord

FritzTownFord

Well, huh... oh shit, nevermind.

16. Weasel

Weasel

Well they would say that, wouldn't they?:(

17. 5window

5window

AR and Rd are still listed on their website-but guess what? Highlight subscription pricing and nothing comes up! I stopped getting SRB when they reduced their articles to how to chop a top, how to install an air suspension and how to paint your cookie cutter car orange. RIP. I get more tech tips from Krass and Bernie than the last year of SRB. Sad.

18. The last year or so it felt kinda tossed together for me so I didn't renew and for once didn't get burned!

19. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

Buckaroo sucks dead donkeys.

20. 5window

5window

So,unlike some of the other publications being discussed, this is a situation where content doesn't hold up, the price exceeds the value and the subscribers are leaving,driving the spiral downwards. So the system does work.

21. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

>>>...guess they're counting on street rod builder and super rod to keep them afloat...>>>

I haven't seen even street rod builder lately (never mind Rodder's Digest, can't remember last time I saw that) at the local Barns & Noble, just Super Rod and that publication seems to have morphed into something else entirely compared to a year or two ago so I stopped reading it.

As long as Professor Hammer is in Street Rodder I'll have something to read :)

Al in CT

22. spiffy1937

spiffy1937
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Me too, besides Rodders Digest I'm still waiting for my next issue of Street Rod Magazine--------, how many guys remember that?

23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the Rodders Journal, Traditional Rod and Kustom, and Rod and Custom are the only one's worth reading now... though what's the other one? Hot Rod Deluxe? that seems pretty good.

24. dmc3113

dmc3113

Street Rod was a pretty good magazine. It was actually published before Street Rodder if I remember correctly. It was published in Washington state. Still have about all the issues if anyone is interested.

25. Paint

Paint

Today I got a Rodders Digest hat in the mail, no explanation just a hat stuffed in an envelope.
    What could it mean? I don't even like to wear hats...........

26. Black Primer

Black Primer

I'd consider myself lucky to get the hat, all they give me is bullshit excuses about how it's the printers fault. Apparantly there is only one printer in Tennessee.

27. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

As long as I have Hop Up and The Rodders Journal, that is all I need.

28. I still get my Rodder's Digest in the mail.....yeah, it's not as good as it was but it's still better than some of the other mags who claim to be "authorities".
    Last time I got a rodder's Digest hat, Steve Hendrickson [R.I.P.] sent me his personal hat [had to do with a set of deuce pedals I had, he wanted] which I stil have but it's almost worn out..I covet it as my favorite hat. I'd love to get a new one.

29. Ebert

Ebert

10-4..plus Hop Up which is bitchin'. In my opinion, ALL of Buckaroo's shit sucks and has sucked forever. Like the previous post, the "system" does work afterall.

30. Yeah, justSteve is missed. :(

I think the downfall of Buckaroo is John Dianas arrogance. Anyone remember the editorial that called Brian Brennan of Street Rodder out? Not cool, lack of class. Dianna, your red/white/blue striped 56 Sedan delivery was cool in 69, as was your writing, you took a turn somewhere. And not a good one.