Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rocket Oldsmobile V8 Information Compiled

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Zaloryan, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Do you know the size of the valve. Did you have any issues with the length and did they also use the matching guides.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. I did know at one time but it has been a couple of years so I would not trust the "old" memory as to the specs. You could give Dave a pm or I can contact him if you don't get a response.

3. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I'm also looking for info on a cam. What's a good grind. Who carries new blanks.

4. Tony has new cams and can offer ideas on grinds for your particular application. Paul may chime in here as he has had Delta regrind some cams for him on a few of his builds.

loudbang likes this.
  5. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

6. gonzo

gonzo

I have a set of adjustable rockers that I pulled off an Olds 303, is there a way to check what ratio they are by measuring?

7. Paul

Paul
    Editor

8. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Pete1 ground an E-3 clone for me, if someone wants to go period on a cam.

9. gonzo

gonzo

Is this the the measurement you're referring to or are you just playing hard to get?

10. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

On my 1.8s the shaft has a clearance notch for the large bolt.

loudbang and gonzo like this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

yes of course a rocker ratio can be measured.

divide the distance from the center of shaft bore to valve tip contact patch by the distance from center of shaft bore to center of push rod cup.

Freaky1, loudbang, vtwhead and 2 others like this.
  12. gonzo

gonzo

Oh ok, sure, say it like that and it sounds obvious.

mario711 and Paul like this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

One thing to consider. There's lots of reports about guys breaking old school 1.8 adjustable rockers, my hunch is this is down to running them on modern cam lobes with aggressive hydraulic intensity numbers. I haven't cam doctored my E-3, but I have cam doctored an E-2, it had a hydraulic intensity number of 48. That's pretty gentle by modern standards, For comparison, the modern Comp Cam lobe in my truck has a hydraulic intensity number of 32, and the most aggressive flat tappet lobes can be down in the high 20's.

gonzo likes this.
  14. gonzo

gonzo

I'm not sure I would even bother running them, I was mostly just curious. If needed I'll buy a set of adjustable pushrods and use my stock rocker arms. I still need to strip the motor and send the block out to the machine shop to see if it's salvageable. I turns halfway then gets stuck. I've had the heads and pan off and cleaned out some of the rust that was in the cylinders but it still needs a little persuading. Thing might be a boat anchor.

Freaky1, sproadster30 and loudbang like this.
  15. gonzo

gonzo

Here's a couple pictures. Pretty grimy still but you get the idea.
    IMG_1482344863.918853.jpg

16. gonzo

gonzo

17. gonzo

gonzo

18. those headers look like Belond from CA. Looks like they may have been modified a bit. Still a nice find. Just sold my NOS ones to Jim (fedcospeed) for his Olds build.

loudbang likes this.
  19. gonzo

gonzo

I believe you are correct, although I think only the left side has been modified. These belong to a friend of mine, he bought them at a swap meet years ago and isn't willing to part with them.

loudbang likes this.
  20. yes, the ds has had the 3 bolt flange removed. PS looks stock. Sandy Belond and his Equalflow product was bought out by some guy named Hedman!

loudbang likes this.
  21. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

A few months back I paid 400 for a 55, 324, primarily for the heads and rocker assy. I know the #10 heads are the most sought after ,but with putting new hardend seats in I figured I'd also put in the bigger exhaust valves. With this motor I was also given a offy 3-2 manifold, a stock 4 barrel, and stock 2 barrel intake. I'm letting you know that I'm looking to get rid of all the leftover parts. That includes the intakes, crank, rods, timing chain cover, block, ect, ect. This stuff takes up too much space and is too heavy to keep moving around. So if your needing any missing part pm me and I know we can work something out. I'm not posting this to make a quick buck but to let you know that I have parts available.

22. 49 olds

49 olds

23. martyk98

martyk98
    from washington

Glad I found this, I have a Hilborn FI unit that has 303 stamped on it. Anyone ever seen a Hilborn unit for this engine?

49 olds likes this.
  24. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I could use some suggestions on hyd throw out brg for a 303 with a gm t5.

25. christmas tree

christmas tree

If you are interested in back in the day Engle Cams were the prefered cam in the Olds engine. number 95 was a good one

loudbang and Crusty Chevy like this.
  26. What set up did you go with to adapt the 303 to the T-5?

27. van Dyck

van Dyck

My Gotha adjustables are still operating the valves quite nicely. #10 heads. Valve springs are 440Dodge. Crane hydraulic lifters. TRW 3/4 Full race camshaft.
    By The Way: if any of you know the catalog specs of this camshaft, I would appreciate hearing from you.

loudbang likes this.
  28. 7&7

7&7
    from Colorado

I am flattered to be a part of this thread. I have recently acquired a 32 olds 5 window. I plan to keep it as olds as possible. 55-324-olds-isky roller-blower- 50 olds trans-isky 2" drive-57 olds rear tons of stuff I have been hoarding for years. thank you all for posting on this thread.

36 ROKIT and loudbang like this.
  29. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

Ross racing bellhousing

loudbang likes this.
  30. 1BFL

1BFL

Sorry for bringing an old thread back from the deal. But I have a 1956 Rocket 88 motor in my Ford Tudor, and am in dire need of an oil pan. I can't seem to find one anywhere. Does anybody know what year Olds oil pans will work with my 1956 324ci? Thank you!