Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip Revival: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. chriseakin

chriseakin

I'd guess problems with accumulated crud from the gas tank (take lots of spare fuel filters) and split heater hoses (extra water jugs and lots of duct tape). And maybe a leaky brake wheel cylinder.
    Chris

2. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

1. Ryan will run out of film from shooting the TRJ show.

2. The tall Texan will find he's jealous that Ryan got the '65.

3. Discovery Channel will try to convince Ryan to let them record the trip for a new "new drama-filled reality show featuring two Texan hard asses and a pair of Buicks as they take on the American highway. Will they make it home? Will they gnash at each other's throats? Will the Buicks retire prematurely?"

Yes.. I consider the third one a problem.

3. Canada Jeff

Canada Jeff

Aliens will abduct you both, decide to keep the cars and dump you nekkid in the ditch.

4. ryno

ryno

I'm thinking you guys will ave a kick ass time and be trouble free,too much good has come from you fellas in the hot rod world,the gods will be watching over y'all.

Now what Ryan didn't state is the winner that guesses what happens get banned for cursing them with bad luck.

Enjoy,I'm jelious.....

5. Your biggest issue will be the fact that either car hasn't been lowered yet.

6. flathead okie

flathead okie

Collapsed or busted lower radiator hose

7. Slick Willy

Slick Willy

I "teabagged" the green one and gave the blue one a "pressed ham" to the passenger window Saturday night...Gen Gow was supposed to take pictures but he didnt...

I will give my insight later when I have a bit more time to write...

8. the-rodster

the-rodster

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

[​IMG]

9. i see overheating issues, problems with hoses and such. and im thinking a radiator is gona puke....cant wait to hear how it goes; have fun.

10. Midget25

Midget25

I'm gussing tires,fuel filters,belts. Some of the best road trips are the ones you have to "improvise and utilize" to get home.

11. Dreddybear

Dreddybear

As you're taking it easy driving at or below the speed limit still nervous about driving this thing 2000 miles, Norm steadily pushes the pace. Next thing you know you're having to bail him out of jail because he told the trooper "Quit yer lecturin' and just give me the Goddamn ticket son".

12. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Possible issues ...

1 ) bad thermostat ... so overheating
    2 ) leaking water pump ... see #1 :rolleyes:
    3 ) trash or rust in the fuel tank ... resulting in junk in the carb.

BUT ... Nothing two resourceful RODDERS cannot over come. :D :D

Looking forward to seeing both of the Buicks in baltimore.

Randy

13. mgbtc

mgbtc

Ryan;
    I wish you both a trouble free trip, nothing goes wrong. But, brakes, cooling system, and tires in that order are the things I would check before leaving. You might want to throw in a fuel filter and maybe even a fuel pump for insurance. Good luck!

14. FFFFrank

FFFFrank

15. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

take an extra carrier bearing. should be the same for both.

16. PUMPKINHEAD

PUMPKINHEAD

Hope you guys have a safe journey as well, but I see the usual rubber items (belts, hoses, tires) and I hate to say this, but something is telling me a u-joint.

Look forward to seeing the Rivs back in Austin.

17. I would be nervous after reading about all the above potential problems, but I am a wuss! That trip will be the coolest ever! Once you get to Baltimore with no issues, you'll be fine. As for potential problems along the way....Did you say that attorney dude is tagging along?

I say there will be a nasty hangover along the way.

If not, something suspension or tire related.

Good luck fella's and safe travels!!!

18. Ranunculous

Ranunculous

Fuel issue.Fixed after an hour...
    Get lost at least twice?
    Receive benefit and kindness from strangers.
    Safe travels with laughter as your constant.

19. Ryan picks up a tansvestite hitchhiker.

20. Heart Of Texas

Heart Of Texas
    from TX

Hava GREAT RIDE HOME!

My guess is:
    - tire failure
    - brakes need adjustment
    - radiator leak... but you add stop leak and motor on
    - Fuel filter change (s)
    - fan belt failure
    - battery/charging system does not keep up with demands

Once again ... Hava GREAT RIDE HOME!

21. You're gonna blow a set of points somewhere near New Jersey, then lose a tire on the second leg heading towards Austin, but a good samaritan is going to give you a new one and get you back on the road for free.

22. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I hope you both have a safe and trouble free journey !

If I had to take a guess it would be a radiator hose , fan belt BUT I think one of the universal joints will go out !
    If something does goes wrong I am near the York and Harrisburg Pa. area .

You both have a fun and safe trip . Take plenty of pictures and enjoy the sites from your trip !

Retro Jim

23. blue57ford

blue57ford

Electrical glitches. Lights that don't work. Transmission issues like a pump o-ring or front seal leak. Also, I wanna say that one is gonna destroy a governor gear. Maybe modulator issues.

24. bigBADwolf

bigBADwolf
    from Batavia,IL

No breaklight, and bad gas..

25. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My guess would be too much crab cakes and beer in Baltimore............a bad night with a burro and some Natty Boh ................wait....................that has already happened.

Then my guess would be nothing at all. Looking forward to seeing the Rivs at the show

26. basicbob

basicbob

Either you or Norm will think ahead enough to have AAA best towing service contract.

Once you have that your covered for a smooooth ride from Mass to Texas!

Keep enough Doseki beer & lime, take lots of pics.

The H.A.M.B. members are counting on both of you!!!

If you see a patina pea green 62 Chrysler Imperial hardtop at Pemblico stop & say hi,Bob

27. junkman8888

junkman8888

Greetings! Not entering the competition, just giving some advice: The four things I would do before hitting the road are: (1) make absolutely sure the brakes, including parking brake, are in perfect shape, (2) same with all the rubber fuel lines, (3) change out the fuel pump or at least bring a spare, (4) always, always carry a fresh fire extinguisher and practice how to open the hood. Best of luck on your journey.

28. I hope nothing happens, but I think if it does one will overheat, and the other one will have brake problems from hydraulics that have been sitting around. I think it will happen on the second leg of the trip.

29. flamingokid

flamingokid

My guess is that the gentleman that's storing these cars for you is going out of his way to ready these Rivs for the road,so highly unlikely that anything happens there.My guess is somewhere in the south,you boys are going to open a can of stupid and Blake will have to pull some strings to get you out of the jam.....I think I'll take the book.

30. PatM

PatM
    from California

I agree with the prior comment that the nailheads will hold up just fine. Water pumps, on the hand . . . I'd plan on bringing a waterpump, as well as a generator and voltage regulator. You're almost certain to lose one waterpump, and when the battery isn't charging, it's just simpler to replace generator and regulator, then polarize. Also bring along a complement of fan belts. They're cheap, and you'll need at least one. Lastly, be certain BOTH spare tires are ready to go. Because one of the non-spares is likely to . . . .

Lastly, though, I know you're gonna have a great time, see some interesting country, and keep yourselves safe. Best of luck to you both.

PatM