Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Road Trip Revival: Part 2

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. AHotRod

AHotRod

Enjoy the ride and be safe!

3. You'll be fine... See you in Baltimore.

Well maybe pack an extra water pump and some fuel filters!

4. mazboi

mazboi
    from Austin, Tx

Brakes! Seals, old rubber lines, and old brake shoes. Ill be traveling Arkansas to Austin Sunday if anything goes wrong.

5. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

ROADTRIP! Have a great time, pack some water, a rad cap and some top off oil. Sounds like a fun time.

6. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Ryan's iPhone 5 will crash & Norm's 'startech' flip phone will get your to the next stop.

7. pinkynoegg

pinkynoegg

alright here are my guesses
    run out of gas because of a faulty gas gauge,
    constantly blow fuses and not have headlights,
    get a clogged fuel filter and choke the motor out,
    overheating from bad flow,
    have a blow out,
    or have a brake drum lock up

okay i will give others a chance now. safe travels!

8. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Oh yea, if you need anything in the KC area........feel more than free to PM me.

Chris

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I'm predicting the Nailheads run like champs.

10. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Belts will come apart for sure. A water pump would be my second guess.

11. rjgideon

rjgideon

Voltage regulator goes out, found after your battery dies because it's not getting charged anymore.

12. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

Radiator hoses and heater lines generaters.Good luck with your excellent adventure!

13. JJK

JJK

I foresee a overheating issue and or freeze plug failure in one of the heads.

14. Right front wheel bearing on the '64.......

15. You will be cruising side by side acting cool and taking pictures of each other when a big chunk of tread comes flying off your front tire, takes a weird bounce right into his car and knocks his coffee cup over.

16. Take a few jugs of water cuz it's going to overheat.

May want to get your own temp gauge to hook up in case the one in the car doesn't work right.

Could have a battery fail or ground/hot cable corroded (or other random gremlins under the hood). Take a test light with some wire and connector kit.

....hell....take all your tools.

17. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

leaky radiator and possible flat tire from flat spotted tired due to sitting (in addition to gas issues).

the less you stop, the fewer issues you will have...

18. No problems.... but if I'm wrong and you guys need any help in the Baltimore area we are hear for ya.....enjoy

19. NoSurf

NoSurf

Fuel pump outside Nashville. But Corky comes and rescues.

20. seatex

seatex

now thats funny, I don't care who you are!:D:D:D

21. Jon1953B4

Jon1953B4
    from MD

You both will be cruising along looking like badasses on 695(loop around bmore), when suddenly you're distracted by two ladies from dundalk flashing you and you'll take the exit on to pulaski highway. Next thing you know your heading towards my house and you have no choice but to stop by and help me work on my 53' dodge pu. Good luck and see you in a few days with my prizes.

22. C. Montgomery

C. Montgomery

I drove my wagon back to Texas from minnesota. me and a buddy flew up on a friday, got the car and were home saturday night. we didn't have a single problem. I bet it'll be a fun and uneventful 2000 miles.

23. Donnj

Donnj
    from North NJ

x2 Zman, get in and drive, for safe measure a rebuild kit for the Carter with a accelerator pump and a set of points, very cheap insurance you can sneak in your bag. Other than that, gas and go and enjoy the ride. Im sure the grin has been on your face for a few weeks, but once you land and see them in person for the first time it will really sink in and then butterflies will start. After you slide into the buckets, turn the ignition and that nailhead fires INSTANTLY the grin is ear to ear. It will all come to fruition as you hit the on ramp to your first major hi-way with no traffic and and your right foot burys the pedal, the mechanical secondarys will kick in and then your fondest memories of the Riviera all come back to you as you watch the speedo needle begin to climb as the ride gets smoother and smoother. Enjoy the trip guys

24. As long as you have the trunk stocked correctly, you should be fine... Just load it up with two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers . . . and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls . . . Not that you will need all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worries me is the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I know you'll get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Oh, and I predicts pitches won't be switched, and transmission problems will stop one of them soon after hitting freeway speeds.

25. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Norm's fuel pump will go out, other Rivi will provide transportation to scouring all of the small town parts stores in the area until a replacement is located.

Second Rivi will lose a fan belt, small setback, easily fixed.

Driving through Tennessee you will encounter a buck naked adult male crossing all lanes of the busy interstate in front of you, running from a rest stop and headed for the woods on the other side while being chased by a fully clothed adult female and four armed state troopers.

At least that's the way it went on my road trip with Norm...

26. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

rear wheel bearing issue

No matter what car I'm driving always happens to me.:rolleyes:

Good luck and if you need assistance on the road call night or day and I'll get ya the closest HAMB help I can find.

27. hotrod-steve

hotrod-steve
    from canada

Its going to be fine. I drove a 56 cad from Texas to Toronto -best dam trip I ever had. Take a few tools and parts,check your fluid levels often,hook up a multimeter beside you to make sure its charging-HAVE FUN (Im jelous)

28. Well likle the other guys have allready said on this issue. Make sure and take along an extra water pump. As one will go out on ya somewhere on this trip. Plus take along extra fuel filter or 2.
    Most of all have a BLAST...Nothing like a good road trip.

29. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

I've bought three cars, sight-unseen, one-way plane tickets and driven them home:
    Unrestored '61 Suburban from Joplin to Atlanta, 90K mile unrestored '73 Duster from California to Atlanta, Restored (ish) '61 Corvair from Indiana to Atlanta. I've also driven a '70 Challenger from the TV version of Vanishing Point from Denver to California.
    I also daily-drove a 24,000 mile original '54 Buick that had sat for 10 years before I got it.

Here's what you will experience:
    The transmission seals will fail. Stop and get the thick red trans goo in the white bottle. This happened on both of the Automatic cars I dealt with.

At least one of the 8 (combined) wheel cylinders will blow. ('54 Buick)
    A water pump is a very good bet as well. ('54 Buick, Duster immediately after I got home)
    You'll also have trash in the gas tank and fuel lines, which will wreak havoc with your carb. (Buick) But you won't know this is the problem because there isn't a clear, visible fuel filter ahead of the carb.
    One of the heater cores will leak (Duster)

Screwy problem of the trip will be a corroded thermostat that causes the thing to run hot.

I bring a fairly comprehensive tool kit along when I go on a road trip, but that's a lot harder now that the airlines have weight limits. For the Suburban, I checked my tool box as baggage. For the Duster, I bought a big socket/wrench set, a set of screwdrivers and vise grips/pliers at Sears.

One thing you'll need to do is check the tires: if they're old, get new ones before heading out of town. (Suburban. Tire clearance issue with the Corvair)

If the cars have been sitting for that long, change all the fluids, too... they will have absorbed moisture through vent tubes. Flush the brakes.

Finally... 2,000 miles in three days? That's better than 650 miles a day. At 12 mpg, that's 55 gallons of gas a day... you'll need three fuel stops, which, on a road trip, almost ALWAYS takes 20 minutes from the time you hit the off-ramp to the time you hit the on-ramp. That's another hour. Add time for a meal stop and piss-breaks, and that's at least another hour.
    Three days will be humpin' it. Especially including the show. And that's not counting any road-side fixes.

I'd plan 4 days for 2,000 miles on a new-bought, un-tested vintage car.

-Brad

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  30. Tool Tall Texan = Transmission / Tire Trouble
    Cryin' Ryan = Electrical / Ignition Fryin'

Good Luck.