Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest RIP: Mike Alexander of the Alexander Brothers

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57JoeFoMoPar, Jul 18, 2014.

1. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Hey guys, word has it from a trusted source on Facebook that Mike Alexander has passed away. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

If it's true, and I sure hope it isn't, we've lost another one of the giants who's shoulders we stand upon, and who helped lay the groundwork for this wonderful hobby of ours. Really sad day. Godspeed.

2. hope it aint true, one of my all time fevorites

3. sad news indeed -another lost Hot Rod icon

4. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

I heard it earlier today. In my youth building model cars, the A Brothers were icons. I count myself fortunate to have known Larry pretty well in later years. Only talked to Mike a few times. Great guys.

5. silent rick

silent rick

i loved their work

6. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

644287_10151510186890419_1411624862_n.jpg

In 2010, Mike chose my '57 as the winner of the award bearing his name at the Detroit Autorama. He told us that it was how he would have built the car. I've always said that this car would never receive a higher compliment.

Sad to see these guys leave us. It makes carrying on the tradition all the more important.

7. Sad news. Not many of the kustom giants left. We are losing them all too fast.

Always dug the Alexander Brothers work. You could always tell one of their cars.

Rest in peace Mr. Alexander..........E

bob-o likes this.
  8. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

RIP Mr. Alexander. Stu

9. Mike Alexander (\'50s).jpg
    Michael Peter Alexander
    August 29, 1933 - July 18, 2014

Last edited: Jul 18, 2014
    bob-o likes this.
  10. Wow Sad news for the Kustom world.

11. Another great name in Custom Car builders gone,,sad indeed. HRP

upload_2014-7-18_17-54-25.jpeg

12. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Very sad news! Another great customizer has left us. R.I.P. Mike!

13. Sad to see them go but I guess it is inevitable. Met him once at the GNRS and he was the nicest guy.

14. Unfortunately, I believe it is true. The local funeral home has Mike Alexander of Grosse Ile listed and says information is pending. I'll post a link to the information once it's available

15. Well I hope as many of the local Kustom guys can make it to the ceremony

16. bob-o

bob-o

RIP Mike. Mike and Larry built what is imho the most beautiful custom ever, The Victorian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike and Larry were two of the Greats and will be missed.

17. tommyd

tommyd
    from South Indy

My father in law owned an A-Brothers custom back in the mid seventies. I had the privilege of working on that car as a teenager not really knowing or appreciating its history. If I only knew. R.I.P. Mr Alexander.

18. poss51kustom

poss51kustom
    from ohio

I met Mike a few years ago. Really nice guy.R I P we are losing the greats too soon.

19. Mike was a great guy in so many ways. He and Larry also built some amazing cars. I am honored to have had the opportunity to know them both while they were still here. Now Mike and Larry are together again. RIP Mike.

20. Sad to hear the news. I got to meet Mike in 2012 when my 41' Ford convertible received the Mike Alexander Award. A real nice guy. RIP.

21. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

22. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Mike did some work on my 3 window in 1966. He did the patch while I waiting on a Saturday. He was very easy to deal with and did excellent work. He was a master.

23. Rustygt

Rustygt
    from Emeryville

Met Both brothers in Oakland at the GNRS, they were the featured builders. really decent stand up guy's, put up with my 1000 questions and were really nice to my wife, signed a poster for her. Enjoy them while they are here, go to shows, events where the legends are and tell them what they mean to us all. RIP A Brothers

24. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Very sad news. My heartfelt condolences to Mike's family and friends.

25. funk 49

funk 49

So sad to hear this news. Condolences to family,friends,and the community.

26. davidvillajr

davidvillajr

Genius builders.

RIP.

27. I am looking at a Dave Bell poster on my computer room wall showing many of the cars that the brothers built. Being from Detroit in the early days they were the primo shop to go to. I was involved with the little deuce coupe in the beginning and sad to hear of Mike's passing.

Attached Files: