Register now to get rid of these ads!

RIP: Bill Collins

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 25, 2007.

1. stan292

stan292

Gang -

Another "hero" fallen, but the HAMB can be proud of its contibution to Bill's dream. As I recall Bill and his friend had not been having much luck finding tracks that would let them make full passes - certainly not the NHRA venues.

I recollect too, that they were getting advice from several others (including some "name" drag racers from the day) to give the idea up and be satisfied with doing 300-ft "squirts", or whatever - and that they were even chastised by some as being foolish for endangering themselves and the car by making actual runs.

I'm sure the HAMB drags were a very welcome opportunity for the guys to let the car "have its head". I know it was a thrill for me to see, and I gleefully reported the "full-pass" runs to the "naysayers" on the Standard 1320 group after watching the car at MoKan.

RIP Bill. May your spirit live on within the HAMB.

2. STAGE III

STAGE III

Ah man, that does a heart good doesn't it.

Lost my Dad a few years ago and I still remember him with that same type grin when he would talk about his truck.

He still went to work everyday and would be complimenting customers on their cars before they left our warehouse and then he'd ask them if they knew why he liked his truck . They would guess, "The color?" "Get's good gas mileage?" etc

He'd let them guess awhile finally getting a big grin, and then loudly say "Because it is FUN TO DRIVE !!!" (thing would really fly)

Thanks for posting these pictures of Bill, through him I can see my Dad still smiling, and that sparkle left in the eye of old school people who made it through lifes obstacle course and were still looking for more.Still can here him saying "We don't have TIME to be depressed!"

Very cool thread,thanks again

3. Appleseed

Appleseed

I don't go to funerals. I don't want my last memory of a friend to see them in a box or a bottle. I want my last memory of them to be a good one, were we're all having fun, etc... Thats how we should remember Bill, flogging a dragster with his buddies, smiling the whole time.

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

I checked out the Scorpion at the Round up and Ryan is right the car was prefect in every way. :(

Attached Files:

5. El Jefe

El Jefe
    Alliance Member

Class act is all I can say. All the guys involved w/ the Scorpion are such a great team. I know they will really miss Bill and my thoughts and prayers are w/ them and all of Bill's family. It was a real pleasure to get to hang w/ them at MoKan and then at the Day of the Drags 2006 where Team Scorpion again was tearing up the track and earning their patch. And it was less than a month ago when Bill, Don and the rest of the team came back down to Austin for the Round Up and brought the original racer of this piece of history, Bobby Langley w/ them. We all had such a great time and Bill really enjoyed himself and all the attention and smiles that race car brought to people. He was so proud and it showed. Bill will be missed, but everytime I see the Scorpion, I will think about Bill's smile and he will live forever in my mind. Thanks for inspiring us Bill !!!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  6. 28chevrat

28chevrat

R.I.P.......
    I'm sure he's building something upstairs.....

7. sololobo

sololobo

The H.A.M.B. drags last year was a high light to my return to rodding, I lived the hot rod life so strong as a kid, and re-kindled it thanks to friends Frankie Corritore, Schiemans, Gary Anderson, Bob Wieke, and many other Omaha home boys. Bill Collins and the wonderful Scorpian crew were so nice and friendly at the drags. I was able to shake Bills hand and tell him congradulations on a fine run, he just smiled that big grin and said thanks like he meant it. This class gentleman will be missed by all of us, we were so lucky to have this great exposure to this cool guy. R.I.P. brother Collins, gone but not forgotten-Sololobo