Register now to get rid of these ads!
  1. Hey fellas, just in case you missed it - The Rodder's Journal and The Jalopy Journal is celebrating 20 years of bringing you traditional hot rods and customs by offering you a one-year subscription to TRJ and a H.A.M.B. Alliance membership for only $75. Click here for details.

History Reverse flow blown Nailhead?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exwestracer, Jan 17, 2010.

1. exwestracer
    Latrobe, PA (Mister Rogers' neighborhood)

exwestracer Member

Found this picture in a Google search. There wasn't much more detail in the article that went along with it.
    [​IMG]
    I know Mickey Thompson tried this with Pontiac engines, but I've never heard of it done with a Nailhead. Anyone have any info?
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid Member

Thanks for posting that. Wonder what times it turned?
  3. mctim64

mctim64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks very interesting! I'd like to hear about it. :cool:
  4. Candy-Man

Candy-Man Member

Wow, must have used an 180 degree camshaft... It doesn't look as if the blower is in line with the crank for direct drive, must be just the angle of the picture.... What a piece of history...
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Candy-Man

Candy-Man Member

Is Russell Martin on the HAMB? He would know.... I believe Russ was one of Max Balchowsky's good friends...
  6. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc Member

Here's a couple of pics of a Stevens V-Drive that's got one.:cool:

Attached Files:

7. 296ardun

296ardun Member

I believe that John Bradley tried it with a flathead, tried to take advantage of larger exhaust ports...never worked on a Buick, were their exhaust ports/valves larger than the intakes?
  8. R Pope

R Pope Member

The far rotor is lined up with the crank, that's the one that has to turn that way.
  9. 69fury

69fury Member

I could be wrong (it's happened before, it'll happen again), but i think that mill is using an intercooler below the lung (aftercooler?) that uses lakewater to cool the incoming charge, then forwards that water to the marine exhaust manifolds for cooling.

It's hard to tell from the pick, but i dont think it's routing boost to the exhaust side then cramming the exhaust pipes in the valley for center dump purposes.

like i said, it's hard to tell, and i could be wrong.

I'm not sure how someone can tell from the pic that it's got a 180degree crank in it, but i've never ran one.
  10. Hi!

Hi! Member

The boat is reverse flow. I have talked to the owner about it when selling some nailhead stuff.
  11. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc Member

Yup, sorry to tell you, but it's happened again...you are wrong.:D
    I'll link in the thread when I can get the search to work on the new v-driveboat forum, but that is a reverse flow Nailhead.