Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Revealing Original Paint

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by DLRIDES, Apr 1, 2016.

1. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Wanted an original paint car to build from for years, and now it's starting to come to fruition. Just have to show it off.

Seeing daylight after many years of being covered up:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

KKrod, AHotRod, ss34coupe and 3 others like this.
  2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

looking good. so, what process have you been using?

3. That's pretty cool. Not so easy with a car that doesn't have the original finish under there.

4. What's next? HRP

5. adam401

adam401

Awesome. As a guy who spent a long time into early vws where original paint is everything I love these projects. Labor intensive but cool. Now for the haters......

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  6. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

The car had been sprayed with a primer over the original paint probably decades ago. I bought it from a fellow HAMB'er, and it is thought to have been shed parked in the early sixties. My guess is that it was done to protect some areas that has no paint remaining from rusting further. ????????

I played around with the old fenders to see what worked best first. Using 600 on rusty areas only, very lightly and wet. Then 1000 wet over it all, and then 2000 wet over it all. I'm totally green when it comes to paint and body, but this method works perfectly for me.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    das858 likes this.
  7. Killer. I would love to do something like this some day.

dirtracer06 likes this.
  8. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Starting on the chassis now. After 4 months of replacing wood and fabricating the complete body structure, I'm ready move on ! I cussed myself for choosing a Chevy, but I guess it was worth the extra work. There's a reason you see very few early Chevy's !

kiwijeff likes this.
  9. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Paint reveal update:

After wet sanding it all, buffed with a paste cleaner wax, and couldn't be happier with results !

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

AHotRod, Chucky, 120mm and 20 others like this.
  10. indyjps

indyjps

That is outstanding, is the bits of primer left, above or below the original paint?

You can spot in the area on the door with black lacquer. You've got the touch for polishing, I think you can get any touch up to disappear right into the original finish.

Nice body cart, by the way.

11. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

That's the original primer under the black. These must have been painted with a brush, because you can see brush marks in the primer that the black settled in. Except for the blending where it was chopped, plan on leaving just the way it is. Blended the chopped area with plain Rustoleum from the hardware store.

Cart is just an old textile mill cart.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2016
    AHotRod likes this.
  12. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

13. indyjps

indyjps

Understand leaving the way it is, wasn't suggesting touch up any more than necessary to cover bare metal. It's cool that rustoleum blends in. I've been using 7 parts rustoleum, 2 parts acetone, 1/3 part valspar hardener as a mix ratio. Sets up quickly, cures and hardens well.

Can't wait to see more of your build, your attention to the little details tells me this will be a great one.

DLRIDES likes this.
  14. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

The doors have been chopped but are still wood inner structure, and not paint blended yet. Body is going back on frame today for the final time, then I will de-skin doors and fab a door frame to fit the body in it's final position. The whole car has been mock assembled, so after the doors are complete, just a matter of bolt together, wire, upholstery, etc....

clunker likes this.
  15. ,...very nice job, can't wait to see the finished car.

16. Jeff34

Jeff34

Looks AWESOME! Can you share details about the products used? What grit sandpaper for the wet sand...what buffing compound? Machine? ???

17. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Just plain wet sandpaper from the hardware store, 600 grit for the rough areas, then 1000, then 2000 grit. Buffed with Meguires paste cleaner wax via cheap Harbor Freight buffer @ 1000 rpm.

18. Gman0046

Gman0046

This car has original paint and 35,000 original miles. Showroom condition inside and out. It was stored for over 46 years.

Gary IMG_0812.JPG

19. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Personally I dig it....of course no car had worn paint or "patina" in the 50s and 60s....they all shined like jewels in a goats ass. I find posts like the above tiresome....I mean why bother? Guy is proud of his work....and I can tell it was a shit ton of work. If it aint your cup of tea...there are other threads with shiny cars and LT-1s....which incidentally came out in 1970 and in no way are traditional as defined on this site.

20. I gotta jump in here!
    I don't know a whole lot about anything but.....
    That thing is KILLER just the way it is!!
    Especially black with red oxide underneath.
    I was there in the 50's and 60's.
    Where I come from there were plenty of cool cars
    with paint rubbed through to the primer!
    It was always cool to have an original finish,
    even if the car was rodded. If you had an original finish
    car you weren't hiding shitty bondo body work with paint!
    Just my $.02!

21. DLRIDES

DLRIDES
    from Newton NC

Where is this junkyard with 84 year old rust free perfect paint bodies ?

kiwijeff, Texas57, slv63 and 3 others like this.
  22. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Its in his memories of the good old days back in the 50s....problem is...its 2016. The fact that this Chevy looks as GREAT as it does is amazing. Youd be hard pressed to find any car let alone a chopped hot rod with paint this old that looks this good.

DLRIDES and clunker like this.
  23. Hey Deuceman,
    The thing about rust is relative to
    where you are. Upstate NY, '50s and 60's,
    salt all winter, (yes we drove our cars in winter)
    everything had some rust! You couldn't escape it.
    The only cars that didn't have it after a few years
    were the little old lady cars that didn't go out
    when the roads were bad. Unfortunately most of
    those cars were more doors! If you are from some
    southwest state where you have 5 days a year of rain,
    naturally your cars ain't rusty... but I bet the interiors
    are all dried out and cracked!
    Just my $.02.

droppedstepside likes this.
  24. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Fantastic.

Thanks for posting.

25. cfmvw

cfmvw

There is something very satisfying about bringing an old finish back to life like that...all I can say is WOW! Great job!

droppedstepside likes this.
  26. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

OK, Black Panther- Tell me what your user name has to do with traditional or non-traditional?
    I am aware it is a lot of work but my question remains why is that traditional when you guys jump
    all over someone who would dare use radials or anything else that you can see from outside the car. A 5 speed is fine if you hide it (under the floorboards). How many boxed frames did you see back in the day yet you marvel at pretty welds done with mig and tig. Neither very traditional because the machines were not readily available to the hobbyist. All I am saying is the patina and clearcoated rust look is a relatively new fad.

27. slammed

slammed

LT1? "Deuceman' Yeah, you got this thread covered troll style as far as trad goes. Just could not let this thread be, eh? Post those better bodies in junkyards you claim. Pix, or it did not happen~

droppedstepside and Muttley like this.
  28. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

DLRIDES You really think I was referring to an 84 year old junkyard? The context of the conversation is what is or is not traditional and by definition "traditional" is 65 or older. Therefore, I was referring to junkyards back int that period. I have a feeling you knew that but you just wanted to be funny. I never said paint perfect.

29. DeucemanLt1

DeucemanLt1

Slammed What are you talking about?

30. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Deuceman.....Black Panther is the name of a 1950 Chevy custom that I owned. It was a custom car that competed at the Oakland Roadster show in the mid 50s...it was also in several magazines..most notably the 1957 Custom Cars Annual. Before that I owned a 1954 Olds custom done in the late 50s early 60s called Joannes Dream. Happy? I appreciate all cars...and the people that own/built them and have yet to post a single deragotary remark...and I just now went over 1000 posts here. Maybe you can look at my posts and then look at yours to see whats what. I see threads on a daily basis here about things that arent my style....you know what? I keep my opinion to myself...noone should give a shit about my opinion..