Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing original underbody coat

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Merc0Matic, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Merc0Matic

Merc0Matic
    from california

I have a 1952 mercury and it came from the factory with a 1 inch hard almost rubber coat sprayed on the underside of the entire car and I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this stuff and if anyone knows a good way to get it off preferably down to bare metal because I have rust repair I need to do. Thanks

2. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

start with an electric heat gun and a putty knife for the heavy stuff

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Merc0Matic

Merc0Matic
    from california

4. Slopok

Slopok

Wash with mineral spirits when the majority of it is off.

5. buick47

buick47
    from bc

try one of those vibrating saw/chisel, I got one from home detpo and it rocks on any flat metal but it super noisy

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  6. txturbo

txturbo

someone makes undercoating remover.....I saw it after I spent a lot of time removing some on an old panel truck. That stuff was rock hard. I used heat and a scraper. Worked best to have someone on the inside heating while I was on the undercoating side scraping.

7. I did a lot of floor patch panels and I just sandblasted the floor areas that were going to be cut out until I got to solid metal.

After the floors were solid again I scraped off anything that was loose then I bought a case of spray undercoat and sprayed the bare area and went back over everything underneath. HRP

8. Ralphies54

Ralphies54

Faster yet with a Bernz-a-matic type torch with a small flame. Just warm up the area and a stiff puttyknife will peel the area clean in a jiffy. Wipe down with turpentine and your done.

9. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

One vote for the heatgun and puttyknife too!

10. Elbow grease, hate that job. What ever works, Some of mine chipped off cold with a putty knife.

11. 19Fordy

19Fordy

I found it easier to use a 1/2 inch wide blade straight screwdriver and a ball peen hammer..
    First grind the blade of the screw driver to a chisel shape. so it cuts easier.
    It's a tedious, slow process.

12. john walker

john walker

i have a pneumatic scaler tool that gets the rock hard stuff off nicely.

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  13. rotorwrench

rotorwrench

The under coat is the likey reason you have corrosion. I have one 51 Merc with undercoat and one without that lived their life in the same part of the world. The one without has mostly surface rust. The one with has major cancer. I would prime the area well and put the sound deadener inside the car instead of outside.

14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I took a wood chisel and ground a radius on the edge and it works real well with the radius the corners will not dig in and works on most any contours. P1010031.JPG

15. slammed

slammed

Some form's of undercoat will lift off w/an quality paint stripper, followed w/fresh Scotch Brite pads dipped in lacquer thinner.

16. junk

junk

Heat gun putty knife.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. oldolds

oldolds

I have used all the above methods. Each one works. Some work better on one job than another. I know some people will not like this idea, but get a pump up garden sprayer and try spraying a bit of kerosene or diesel fuel on it. Sometimes it will soften it enough to scrape off easy. There is no magic solution. Elbow grease works best.