Register now to get rid of these ads!

remote fill master cylinder any tips

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, Sep 12, 2006.

1. sawzall

sawzall

the BNL chevy has a underfloor mastercylinder..

filling it is a pain.. so I want to go remote fill..

the master is one of those Gay corvette STYLE jobs.. with extra ports and the whole deal..

does anyone have any tech tips as to how I can modify the top cover of said mastercylinder to mate it to the res that I plan to PLUNK on the firewall?

or is a kit available that I dont know about yet?

thanks

sawzall

2. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

I think Wilwood makes a kit for that, for their master cylinder kits.
    I would just braze a fitting (brass or bronze flare fitting) onto the top, and run a piece of tubing (steel) up to the reservoir. If the reservoir (or master cyl.) has a barb, just use a short jumper of hose, but be sure it's compatible with brake fluid.
    The stock master on my 55 Olds is under the firewall, but just uses a fill tube (kinda like a transmission fill tube, with dipstick) to make it accessible. No remote reservoir. It's about 1/2" diameter, though, to make it easier to use the dipstick.

3. mustangsix

mustangsix

Later model aluminum Mustang MC's have a removeable reservoir. The bolt pattern should be the same as the MC you have now. The fittings may vary but adapters will take care of that. A couple of simple nipples to plug into the Mustang cylinder will allow you to put a remote reservoir anywhere above the MC.

I'm using a Ranger aluminum MC. Same thing, essentially, but with the ports on the other side.

Maybe some of the GM aluminum stuff works the same way.

4. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

I am using a Corvette MC on my '33 I just drilled a hole on the upper side and tapped a 1/8 pipe thread and drilled a hole on the center divider so that the fluid can fill both chambers.I used a fuel nipple and used a Ford Ranger clutch slave reservoir and hooked up a rubber line.This has been working fine for the past 3 years.Let me know if you need pictures of the set up.

5. Let's see it!

6. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

I will take the pictures when I get home from work and post them tomorrow morning.

7. Thanks, I need to plan ahead for my project.

8. 46mopar

46mopar

Is the gay corvette master cylinder one that the reservoir doesn't come off? I put a kit on my father inlaws 34,but the M/C was late model Gm . It's been awhile but i know it was a kit he got from some mag. I think it had two hose barb style fittings that screwed it to or push on the top of the master cylinder. I know the fittings where 90s and I used power streeing return hose to go to the new fill mounted on the firewall ( the kit came with hose it was gas line hose ). Try ECI brakes they have all the fancy stuff.

9. Bugman

Bugman

That's what I would do. The old VWs used a remote resevoir with dual feeds. if you were so inclined, you could use that with 2 barbed fittings so you could moniter your circuit fluid draws seperatly(although I'm sure a crafty individual such as yourself could whip up something much cooler than a plastic VW resivoir)

10. sawzall

sawzall

actually I found out that Kugel makes the adapter thing I am looking for..

it was 40.00 but it will save me the hour of time I would have spent modifying mine..

I am headed to the yard tomorrow to look for a suitable resivoir(S) and I have all the hose I need to make the connection (however I was thinking that steel hard line might look good..

if this works out well the 40 will get the same setup.. I am sick of lifting the seat to fill the master through the access hole in the floor.

I was kinda thinking I would just hide the real res's inside something else..

I'd still like to see some other folks crafty solutions to this problem

11. Bugman

Bugman

Make the real res tall and thin, then cut the bottom off the coke can so you can slip the can over the res, kinda like the beer can coil covers you see.
    [​IMG]

P.S. as an homage to the great Rocky, you could use a diet Dr. Pepper can instead of coke :D

12. Brown Devil

Brown Devil
    from Mission Tx

Please excuse the pictures they did not come out as good as I wanted.The first picture is of the reservoir and on the second picture you can see the gold edge of the cap right below is the fitting the red part is the clamp holding the hose to the fitting. MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-014S.JPG

13. I'm running a Master Power Brakes remote manual master cylinder on my cad with no problems. They come with a vw whitish plastic res, hey it works for now.

14. mark-h-a

mark-h-a
    from Corona, CA

So this may be a dumb question... but does a remote reservoir need to have a way of breathing. I would assume it does. As fluid gets drawn from the reservoir it needs to be replaced by air somehow.

The reason I am asking is that I was considering making some aluminum remote reservoirs but was trying to figure out how to make them breath. I guess just a very small hole in the cap would work?

Thoughts?

15. butch27

butch27

Go with Kugel ( the nicest people you'll ever deal with).

16. Grandpas54

Grandpas54

To: Brown Devi,l Im intrested in those pics of your setup Im working on my 54 Belair and your set up sounds like something I can do

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ebay item made out of that B stuff and a bit spendy but it should get your brain to working in high gear on figuring out how to come up with something on your own.
    Cutting the center out of the stock lid gasket and putting a fitting in the middle of the stock lid should take care of that end then you need some sort of reservoir such as one that has been mentioned or an aftermarket one.

18. AZbent

AZbent

Just a thought for the gentleman who asked about the reserviour needing to breath, if it is open the atmosphere or breathing, the brake fluid will draw moisture out of the atmosphere. We all know that is bad for the system. You need a diaphram to allow the movement of fluid without the absorbtion of the moisture in the air.
    Mark

19. radconjon

radconjon

I have a aluminum cover with two fittings that I would be willing to part with for a reasonable amount of dinero. I never could get the under floor brakes to behave so I moved it all to the firewall. If you are interested let me know and I will dig it out and send some pics.

20. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I am trying to resolve the breathing problem right now. I thought the cylinder would need a diaphragm and air vent but I have two Willwood caps and they just vent to the atmosphere. I am waiting for Wilwood to open so I can call them for an explanation.

21. You guys are aware this problem was posted in 2006, right?

22. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Just got an update from Willwood Engr. They vent to the atmosphere without a diapragm and it is not a problem Just keep an eye on fluid level. Moisture is inherent with brake fluid regardless.

23. Rfh40Ford

Rfh40Ford

What problems did you have with the master cylinder under the floor that you made the decision to mound it on the firewall. I not happy with my '40 Ford with a 1" corvette style master cylinder with a 7" single booster. I have just replaced the front disk , calipers, rear wheel cylinders and new shoes. I had a '36 Dodge with a fire wall mounted same set up and it worked fine.
    Thanks for your info,
    Rick

24. Zeke

Zeke

Apparently not.:rolleyes:

25. banginona40

banginona40

Well, since this thread is getting a bit of attention a question I have is this;
    When mounting the remote fill reservoirs If they are above the M/C but not high enough to avoid a dip in the fill line, is this acceptable? Not sure if the pocket created would be a problem or if as long as the M/C is full it would work fine?
    'ppreciate any thoughts, Thanks

26. aaggie

aaggie

The Dorman catalog has several remote reservoirs as replacement items. Made of the usual white plastic with mounting ears and diaphragm cap, under $10. Check with local NAPA parts house.

27. sawzall

sawzall

Ironically.. im about to head down this road again.. I need to find a remote reservoir that will look ok on the firewall of my 47 ford project.. im leaning toward a Kugel 90degree under the dash master cyl... with power... anyone have a cool under dash setup?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. sport fury

sport fury

my master cylinder is under the floor in my model A. it was difficult fill and view the fluid level. i glued a piece of polished stainless steel to the bottom of the floor just above the master cylinder. i can see the fluid level in the reflection. to fill the master cylinder i pour brake fluid into a squeeze type bottle with a bent tube on the top of the bottle. this has been working well for me for several years now. i still can see why someone would rather deal with a master cylinder in a more convenient place on a car.

29. Frank Compoccio

Frank Compoccio

I dont know how to start a new thread so Ill start here. Im building a 40 ford convertible that amounts to a shell on a rolling chassis. Ive seen in many pics of 40s where the Master is mounted on the firewall. Ive seen pedal kits but am looking for guys that have done it for references and how to do it. Im a retired very experienced Mechanic but I would like some info help. Please dont try to talk me out of it just help please.
    Thanks
    Frank

30. Frank Compoccio

Frank Compoccio

Can anyone tell me how to start a new thread? I find nothing on it.