Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Reliable HEI Ignition Module

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scrappybunch, Sep 24, 2016.

1. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

We have the GMPP HEI dizzy (Part Number: 809-93440806) in a mild 350. Has about 3000 miles on it. Last nite it would not start, and we swapped out the module with one kept in the trunk as a spare. Friggin Chinese junk! The spare was a GM from the 70's and now it bogs down above 4500 RPM's. Redline is 5500 and it was pulling fine before the no start.
    Whats reliable these days?

2. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All my HEI parts come from Performance Distributors in Memphis Tn. Never had a failure. Good Luck.

3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Have had good luck with BWD modules. Don't know the part # off hand.

4. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

P.S., this should get your blood pressure rising......

5. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

Most all modules are made off shore and have omitted circuits etc!!!!!! Even the Delco module is not really like the old ones. The only place i know to get a quality orginal module is off a orginal (junk yard) hei distributor!!

6. junior 1957

junior 1957

failures of most ignition control modules can be traced to a bad coil, the windings short out allowing to much current to pass through the transistor in the module to overheat and sometimes burnout, could be what you have going on more voltage is required at higher rpm

7. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not sure on that.. I run 18 volts on my race car and never lost a module or coil..

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

9. scrappybunch

scrappybunch
    from nj

Contacted Summit about warranty, they sent us to GMPP. Let the battle begin!

10. One thing that does contribute to the modules life, it needs the heat-dissipating grease under it. Many do not have this, or the grease is old and dried up where it does not help conduct the heat out. This is not dielectric grease, it is a special heat conducting grease. Sorry I don't know the exact name or source.

11. MSD used to sell a pretty good control mod to replace the smogger module. They also sell an external coil kit to help you avoid frying a coil. The last HEI that I had is now an oil pump primer.

If you want to spend the money and an HEI is a must have for you DUI sells a good unit or they did.

12. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LEFT T6HE KEY ON OVERNIGHT , WILL THAT DO IT

13. We have really good luck with our HEI Module's (PerTonix) and we even now offer one with built in Adjustable Rev Limiter and Multi Spark. No matter what one you go with, the importance of the Anti Heat paste can not be over stated.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d72000

14. cfmvw

cfmvw

I had a Pontiac 455 years back with an HEI, but I ran it with an MSD 6A box.