Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Regarding buying a 32 Ford grill insert...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by corndog, Jul 18, 2014.

1. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

I have a real nice original 32 Ford grill shell and have been trying (with no luck) to buy an original grill insert to go with it. So I am starting to consider buying a repro but see that the prices vary from $169 to $495 on repro grill inserts. Any help that other HAMBers have had with which ones fit an original shell and which ones dont would be greatly appreciated. Or any other helpful info on those that are good and those that are not for whatever reason. Thanks in advance!

2. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I'm in about the same place, I have a nice grill shell and a rough insert and have been thinking about buying a new insert. My insert is broken at the bottom and bent to the point it doesn't fit in the shell without a lot of force, that isn't going to work after it is painted. Will be watching your posts for help.

3. Fenders

Fenders

You could make your own and be different... this is what I cut from a sheet of perforated (1/4" holes) stainless I picked up at a swapmeet. (In one photo the license plate is behind the grille; I have since removed it.)
    grille-0714a.JPG grille-0714b.JPG aug2013d.JPG
    Just one idea.

4. Dales Inserts are the best fit in a original shell. HRP

5. I second that.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Dales are not being made anymore.

7. deucetruck

deucetruck
    from Missouri

I've used a Dale's. Great quality and made in OKC, I believe. Didn't know they were not manufactured any more.

8. Deuce Daddy Don had a Dales insert for sale a couple of years ago,don't know if he sold it or not,he wanted 400 bucks,,shoot him a PM. HRP

9. ydopen

ydopen

Brookville Roadster did sell Dales inserts. They might have one in stock.
    John

10. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

NOPE!----SOLD!---Thanks anyway HRP

11. What happened to Dales? 'Agree they were pretty darn good. Did somebody else pick up their manufacturing or are they totally GONE?

12. Talked to them 2-3 months ago, wanted to buy 4 for stock.
    Told they weren't gonna make them any more and only had 2 left so I bought em both for future use. Drove up to the city the same day and got em. Wasn't takin the chance sum 1 else would.

13. Now that sucks Dales is not making this item any more. It was with no question the best of the repops ever made. I have one in an orignal shell hanging on the wall and almost sold it a few weeks back. Sure glad I didn't. Now it is NOT FOR SALE.

14. ratrod0

ratrod0

nice car you have there

15. Patina 32 5 winder 029.jpg
    Thanx, only the caretaker of it for now.
    A better shot, but you know what it really looks like.

16. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Well so far I have found out that the best one is not being made anymore! Any other suggestions?

17. Did you try calling Dales manufacturing? HRP

18. All ready did that 3 months ago Danny, it's done, over, kaput.
    Not makin em anymore

19. I remember Deuce Roadster was as annal as it gets when come to using original Henry body parts,his only concession was the Dales Inserts,I bout a couple of original inserts from him over the years. HRP

20. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Can't imagine the best fitting 32 Ford grille being discontinued! Tooling has worn out or manufacturer won' do small production runs anymore. A great loss for the hobby, can't believe Dale would have allowed it to happen.

21. I think Vintique grilles are the only game in town now, as far as reproing an original goes. And they were always second choice after Dales, for those who knew better. It's an unfortunate situation I must say.

22. I bought a Dales insert many years after figuring out that the Vintique version was crap. Fits very well into the Brookville shell.

23. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I guess the Dales that I purchased a couple years ago is now OEM status? Better hang it up with the originals, and use a vintique for long road trips. Maybe he is building up anxiety in the 32 guys, like when they killed the dog "Brian" on family guy.

24. U-235

U-235

Well Corndog, looks like you and I both got no useable information here, except that the one we want is not available....

25. You can get them on eGay starting at $440 including postage. Good luck !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. clem

clem

Over here not all grille surrounds are the same. Something about fords being built in multiple factory's. I would check fit with what you have first, before buying.

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Maybe someone could ask Dales if he'd do a run with 500 deposits. I'd surely be possible to find 500 people here and on Ford barn who'll be needing one within two years.
    Often it's the capital investment to do the minimum run which prevents these things being made.
    Ed

28. I haven't used one but Bob Drake offers a stainless steel repop Deuce shell for 400 bucks. HRP

29. thequietwon

thequietwon

I recently acquired 2 NOS original inserts, and was considering selling them since my Deuces will probably never be finished to a level that justifies their use. Maybe I should hold on to them..
    Sam

King ford and kidcampbell71 like this.