Register now to get rid of these ads!

Red Wheels. No Drama.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Section 8, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

So what's up with the red wheel bashing?

Is that because they are overdone? Are they just cliche'?

I know they are indeed traditional- My father said in the mid 50's everyone would paint their steel wheels red and he did it on his shaved, declked 49 Ford and 50 Mercury. They'd run them in red until they could find /steal some nice Cadillac caps. and even if they got decent caps, they'd leave the 1/2 inch red wheel lip showing.

Why do I ask? I'm thinking wide whites, red wheels and spider caps/ bullets on my Edsel.

Keep the popcorn and let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

my car has red wheels,i don't really care what anybody else thinks :rolleyes:

3. BadLuck

BadLuck

Just overdone....still cool either way...got em on mine....hoping by the time I get my car on the road,they wont be cool anymore!! Thought about painting them black, but then again I see as many black as I do red! Who cares what people say....run em.

4. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

If we're not doing popcorn, I'll grab the Mike & Ike's.

5. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Ive got a Gin and Tonic im good to go.. Let r rip..
    Dave :)

6. MotorBike Mike

MotorBike Mike

Damn right you tell 'em!!! I've got red wheels on my truck and they look great... And I don't give a pump what the "trads" on the board think. So go for it man do what you like it's your ride, you payed for it

Mike

7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Red wheels are traditional... and they just flat look good. Don't let trends turn ya one way OR another.

8. Go with red...

If you try to coordinate with the aqua paint, you'l end up looking like an Easter egg...I think the red will look sharp.

My truck has red&white (factory) interior so I don't catch much sh*t.

9. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

I once had a girl friend that painted her finger and toe nails red, just to match my wheels. Got rid of the girl friend, but kept the wheels.:p

HellRaiser

10. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

The REDur the Better ...

11. The red wheels may have been how they did it back then, but ask him if they drove around with surface rust. All the old guys I ask say "Hell no!" Even twenty years ago we didn't do it.

12. Section 8

Section 8
    from AZ

Surface rust? Hey, I resemble that remark!

13. chopped

chopped

Just not on everything. Saw a 66 Chevy car on Craigslist today, flat black with red wheels. Looked like shit.

14. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

Do what ya want, But Red wheels WITHOUT a full wheel cover just looks like you are try'in to hard.

My opinion is... The color of yer Wagon & red wheels would make it look like a Circus wagon.

If ya painted the wheels White, Fogged in the centers with a Translucent Candy green, Ran the said Spiders & the Cal Custom Mini~Rings, with BIAS~PLY thin Whites it would make the whole color scheme of the car POP out.

I did a '61 Mercury Meteor Big car, Same Green body with White wheels, skinny White Walls, Chrome lugs & dust covers for a quick & easy fix to ugly wheels.... LOOK REAL NICE !

15. gavin

gavin
    from Sonoma

I've always thought it was funny that people pick on red wheels, because they have been overdone. Shaving door handles or any of the other custom tricks have all been overdone, but they still look good. Why are some things timeless and some overdone? Doesn't the word traditional pretty much mean that it has been done for a long time?? Do what you want, fuck public opinion.

16. old beet

old beet

I've always had at least one car with red wheels, since 1957!!.........OLDBEET

17. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

I have a black car, with bright red interior, so any OTHER color wheel just wouldn't seem right. I considered doing up a set of black wheels with blackwalls (bias ply of course) but to be honest, I don't think it would look any better than red wheels and whitewalls and will just cost me a bunch of money to try it. Screw what the know it alls say, most of em' don't have ANY wheels...red or otherwise.

18. Fogged centers=NICE!

19. HellRaiser

HellRaiser
    from Podunk, NE

Speaking of rust, anyone remember buying those little rubber things they called "Rust Erasers" back in the 50's? A person used them when you washed the car, and used that little rubber mouse thing on the rust, especially on bumpers to get rid of the rust spots before they became big rust spots.

Back to red wheels, mine are red wires on the roadster.

HellRaiser

20. red looks cool to me , kinda timeless why fuck with perfection ..

21. LuckyBastardMiguel

LuckyBastardMiguel

Damn right you tell 'em!!! I've got red wheels on my truck and they look great... And I don't give a pump what the "trads" on the board think. So go for it man do what you like it's your ride, you payed for it

Mike

I agree with Mike it's your ride Fuck what other people think.

22. Red wheels are a timeless look,they will always look good.;)

Old School 40 likes this.
  23. DE SOTO

DE SOTO

(QUOTE) Screw what the know it alls say, most of em' don't have ANY wheels...red or otherwise.[/quote]

How does the RODDER ROOKIE even know what ANYONE owns ... Red or otherwise ?

Personally, I think the BASHING of red wheels come from the Wannabe Rebel scene that goes and buys the biggest pile of ass 4dr, Whacks the roof off, Black primers it & paints the wheels red.

No caps, No White Walls, Not even tapeing off the worn out Radials it has on it... just blast up the wheels RED !

It was so bad here in So Cal for a while i changed the red wheels on my Black F~100 after many years of Red wheels & Studebaker full wheel covers....

24. Darby

Darby

My two cents: If you want to paint the wheels, paint them white. Then you aren't trendy AND they don't look terrible beside the aqua/iron oxide two tone paint job.

25. cheddar

cheddar
    from missouri

if you built your rod to accept everyone elses ideas you wouldn't be happy, most people build to impress not satisfy themselves. run red!

26. Retrorod

Retrorod

Mine are red steel because I've looked in every catalog and I can't find a nice nostalgic, traditional good looking 23 inch billet wheel for my old sedan.

27. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

your damn skippy...

28. joeybsyc

joeybsyc
    from PA

First off DESOTO, I wasn't directing anything at you... but since you directed your post at me, I'll respond. Yes I am a rodder rookie, I don't pretend to be otherwise. I've been into musclecars mostly, mainly Chevy stuff from the 60's, and my current '32 is my first "hotrod". Shoot me for that. It also has red wheels.... so take another shot. Although I may be a rookie, I have been around, and have seen plenty of cars, and have read plenty of posts that bash red wheels without just cause...calling them everything from cliche' to overused, boring, and everything in between. I made the point that people should do what they want, and often times the bashing comes from people who don't even have a dog in the fight, or a car in the garage, so they sit and rip on other people's stuff to make themselves feel better. Sorry, I don't partake in that stuff...but I DO agree with you that painting a set of cruddy wheels red on a cruddy car in the manner you mentioned is indeed silly... but i just can't see NOT using red for a wheel color because someone ELSE says its not cool enough for them.

29. DirtyThirty

DirtyThirty
    from nowhere...

Well...it depends on what ya' built it for, I guess...My old man, he didn't build customs, NOR did he have a lot off $$$...so, they were apt to have a bit O' rust...'cuz the money FIRST went into the motor/drivetrain.

30. I dont know what to think. My 36 is black with red wheels and a red grille. i must be a real wanna be . mike (every car i have ever owned in my entire life has had steel wheels and little caps and they were painted either red or black , either color looks good in my opinion.)