Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Rebuilding Water Pump for first time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fender1325, May 6, 2016.

1. Fender1325

Fender1325

image.jpeg image.jpeg Guys Im rebuilding a water pump by myself for the first time and just wanted some suggestions or advice.

Its for a 56 cadillac.

I welded up a press and pressed out the bearing and impeller, soaked everything in vinegar and wire brushed it as clean as possible, then rinsed it and quenched it all with liquid wrench to prevent flash rusting.

Im assuming it should be pretty straight forward....the bearing hole has a lip so I dont believe I'll over press it back in.....the Impeller Im not sure..... I think by eye? I bought a rebuild kit that includes an impeller - newer style stamped steel fan that doesnt look like the original cast impeller......but I bought the kit that included the new one just incase it mates up with the new seal better for whatever reason.

Someone said to use white grease when assembling. I think I have an aerosol can of white lith if that works? I also have a tub of bearing grease if that would be better. Anyhow, what do you think?

2. Burkedore

Burkedore

I believe there is a special grease made just for water pumps.

A quick Google search turned up lubraplate 115. If you can't get that at a reasonable price why not try the wheel bearing grease meant for boat trailers.

Last edited: May 6, 2016