Register now to get rid of these ads!

rear engine hot rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hilljack, Oct 4, 2006.

1. skwurl

skwurl

I like it much better with ther bed on it. Just my.02

2. I appreciate the way you keep making it better. Yup, an artistic engine frame with holes sounds like a great next step.

3. repoguy

repoguy

Cadillac Northstar set-up would be interesting.

4. Misfit

Misfit
    from Upstate NY

I bought an '83 Toronado donor for my rear engined project. It has the 4 spd overdrive so I believe it's the TH325. I plan on turning the engine around and flipping the pumkin as well - if it can be done.

5. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

this pic is a gen idea of what I'm thinkin,my little 2.8 has plenty of get up and go and gets 23+MPG with the tall tires , its also gonna be a part time rpu this summer LFE

Attached Files:

6. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

look up chevoda 55?chev s/w nomad complete photo build on his web site....wheel standing street car all the imfo you need

7. Steve Grimes

Steve Grimes

Hey James 427. that was me you visited in Columbus Ohio; I've still got the "chain car" and it runs great.

Steve Grimes

Attached Files:

8. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

Wow that is awesome,any build pics anywhere ?

9. ken1939

ken1939

Yes my suggestion may have been mentioned, but I know you can put a northstar in a fiero, soo.....

10. luckyfasteddie

luckyfasteddie

Been working on the next step,not done yet but it is starting to take shape,spent about 20 hours in the garage this week with my youngest son,dont get any better than that LFE

Attached Files:

11. brian33

brian33
    from ruskin fl

eldorado set will be best or a porsche transaxle but it will have to be flipped internally check out renegade hybrids they put small blocks in porsches

12. Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but an Olds Toronado would have the BOP type bellhousing bolt pattern, so you'd need an adapter to bolt a Chevy on it. Why not just use an Olds engine with matching transmission? More interesting than a small block Chevy.

Or use an older front wheel drive Cadillac Eldorado driveline. The older ones have tons of power. The transverse mounted newer ones are kind of ugly though, and they do stupid things like run the starter motor inside the engine block, which means you have to remove the whole intake just to change the cable to the starter.

There's an old book called "Engine Swapping" that has some odd combinations like I think a Porsche with an Olds 425 and Olds transmission in the back seat area.

The further back you mount the engine, the more likely you'll be able to pull some cool wheelies!

13. Crap!! ain't there nothin' original in the world?? I plan to use a toro driveline in my 33 hump-back Olds............

Attached Files:

14. mtpockits

mtpockits

that was mine. what yall need to no.

15. Deuces

Deuces

That's rad!!!!!....:cool:

16. Devin

Devin
    from Napa, CA

There was an article in a recent issue of Grassroots Motorsports that outlined the conversion from Porsche motor to an LA motor in a 993 series 911. I think for a mid mounted engine you need to flip the ring gear like the do for sand rails etc. so that you still have forward gears. Good suggestion

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

17. ersatzS2

ersatzS2

Bumping this old thread as I begin to research options for a mid engine '41 ford pickup project. Not an area with a lot of prior art! As an addition to this thread just wanted to link to these guys at Dobbertin Performance who have a highly developed transaxle setup using Corvette suspension. They utilize a Mendeola transaxle, although Porsche or Corvair will work too. This is a lifelong vision I hope to bring to reality over the next few years: a pickup with a V8 in the bed. To those who decry the loss of storage in the bed, think about the volume you could stash under the hood area!

OahuEli likes this.
  18. Call Mike Casey. He's already done it with a Toranado/small block combo