Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Rarity of a 1955 2 door wagon?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by summersshow, Jul 22, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

So about my wagon... Which I still havent had time to tow home and sitting at my buddys tire store... and people are bugging me to death about it wanting to buy it... I guy came up today from Raleigh with a tralier (about 3.5 hours away) because his friend had told him he saw one...
    After about hour and a half listening to him tell me about how much work its going to be to fix it and how horrible shape its in (note: we were standing in my restoration shop with 4 project cars in it) and that I need to just sell it to him, I told him to go away... He got very upset with me and left...

So theres the story now heres the question... Is this thing really that rare or do people just want it cause I have it. haha... The wife would kill me if I sold another project I told her I was going to fix...

2. squirrel

squirrel

Chevy made about 37,000 two door non-Nomad wagons in 55, about half were 150s, the rest 210s. They're kind of rare, but they're really desirable, they look so much better than a 4 door wagon.

dana barlow likes this.
  3. 55What ????????????

Ford ,Chevy, Henweigh.

Need a bit more info please

Oldmics

4. belair

belair

All 55s, 56s, and 57s are Chevys, all 32s, 33s, and 34, are Fords, unless noted as otherwise. At least in my world.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

5. If you sell it she needs to knock a knot on your head!

It's not that rare,it's just a two door station wagon and from what you said the other day this one is going to be a keeper. HRP

Bubba1955 and volvobrynk like this.
  6. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

Okay, I play with it; whats a henweigh?

See now I did something foolish, so you don't need too!
    Don't sell it, dont swap it, Do not make a big mistake, that you will regret for a long time!

7. About 2 pounds.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  8. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Look... a hennway... lol

Attached Files:

pat59 likes this.
  9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

You haven't had time to bring it home from your friends tire shop, but you had an hour and a half to blow listening to some poor Bastard beg you to sell it to him?

With all these folks inquiring, you should bring it home before someone gets really pissed and steals it or vandalizes it. If you leave it there too long, you'll be classified as one of those guys that parks an old car in plain sight just so he can get the attention of turning down prospective buyers.

Bubba1955 likes this.
  10. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

I think I have a selling cars problem... haha... But im not going to sell this wagon... at least not anytime soon that is...

11. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

My shop is visible from the road... So it wont change very much after I move it... I have "NOT FOR SALE" written front, back, and both sides...

12. What make of 2 dr wagon? GM, Ford, or Mopar?

13. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

its a chevy 210

6-bangertim likes this.
  14. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Also, it probably won't be too long before someone insists it's a Nomad. There is a nice, solid 210 about 10 miles from me, that the owner thinks of selling every 2 years or so. He has visions of lakes pipes and surfboards on the roof, and wasn't too keen on my tube axle/tilt front/radiused wheel well plans, so he will no longer sell it to me.

15. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

The standard 2 door Chevy are cool and they are just not as common as the 4 door models. As a matter of fact, one styling factor that hurt the Nomads sales was that there were only 2 doors and families that bought wagons wanted 4 doors.

16. As with most cars, there is the 2dr vs 4dr bias, 2dr's are more desirable (sportier) to most people's eyes than 4dr's. Some people dig sedans/HT's over wagons, and vice-versa. There is definitely a group of longroof lovers out there and if it's a 2dr wagon, that will get their juices flowing. My 2cents

Do you have a rare car? The word rare, to me, also implies valuable & desirable. You have a lower build count car that has a following. As your backstory proves, you met one of the followers. You will meet more. As a generalization any 2dr tri-five is going to get more attention than it's 4dr equivalent, all things being equal. <put me down for another 2cents.

If asked to provide an impartial ranking of the desirability & value of the tri-fives, my humble ranking summary of perceived public interest would be:

tie:1 & 2: Convertibles & Nomads
    3: 2dr Hardtops/Sport Coupes
    4: 2dr sedans
    5: 2dr Handyman wagons
    6: 4dr Hardtops/Sport Sedans
    7: 4dr sedans
    8: 4dr wagons
    wildcard: sedan delivery - hard to weigh it's desirability because of the limited visiblity it has, which can be a deterrent to some.

Enjoy the car and attention!

Scott/Gotta56forme

17. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

You want rare, try a '60 two door wagon...only 14, 657 built...mine is a Brookwood, the cheapest one made and yes, someone will eventually compliment you on your "Nomad"...happened to me yesterday as I was out cruising early evening in ColoRODo's cool weather...!!!

Enjoy your wagon, long roofs are hot...!!!

R- IMG_44403.JPG

18. luckystiff

luckystiff

i say this in the nicest way i know how..........

get off your ass and get it in the shop and start working on it and they will leave you alone........maybe.......hahahaha

oh and you wouldn't expect someone that randomly hooked up a trailer and drove 4+hrs on a tip to be an irrational type. it was sitting at a business. a rational person would get the business info and try to get your contact info before all that. he probably jumped in the truck thinking he was heading up to deal with some hick from the hills that don't know squat and he wasbout to score. again a rational person would be able to think ou the fact th the Boone area gets MILLIONS of vacationers a year and theres no way it would be a chance sighting.

theres just crazys everywhere. when i was managing a store taylorsville my daily drivers floated between a slammed 66 bug and my 67 vw squareback. the bug got lots of attention. the square was out of hand. i drove the bug most times because of the crazy people. anyhow it actually came to a head when a guy came in for the third time and this time started counting out hundreds on the counter while i was with a customer and told me to stop him when he reached my price. i told him his stack wasn't big enough. did i mention he was in a roll back and had already backed up to my car... crazy folks............

19. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I can't believe with all of the buying, selling, and bartering skills here on the HAMB no one has suggested the most obvious solution to keeping pesky buyers at bay. Over the years I've owned some desirable cars that people would try and talk me out of. Here is my solution:

Prospective buyer: "Is your '67 435hp/427 Vette for sale?"
    Me: "Sure is, are you looking for one?"
    Buyer: (trying to act casual) Ya, I've been thinking about getting one. Yours looks good, but I like blue better than red. I guess I could always paint it, but that would cost a bunch. How much are you asking?"
    Me: "I'll take $85,000 cash today (this was when a fully restored one could be bought for around $40-45,000). I really like the car so if you want it decide now before I change my mind."
    Buyer: "You're nuts, I can buy one cheeper than that."
    Me: "You asked, take it or leave it."

conversation over!!!

Frank

20. Fiend42

Fiend42

I was told that the rarest 55 Chevy is the handyman two door wagon. It came with one bucket seat and no rear seat. Also one sunvisor for the driver. They had 16 inch wheels and heavy springs. My 55 Nomad is down the list of rare Chevy wagons

21. squirrel

squirrel

I don't think so, but who knows...urban legends are usually based a little bit on factoids?

1955 Chevrolet Production Model Numbers

Built Percentage of Total

150 Series, 6cyl & 8 Cyl
    1502 2dr sedan 66,833 3.76
    1503 4dr sedan 34,906 1.96
    1508 2dr sedan delivery 10,639 0.60
    1512 2dr utility sedan 12,139 0.68
    1529 2dr Handyman station wagon 18,496 1.04
    150 Series Total 143,013 8.04

210 Series, 6cyl & 8 Cyl
    2102 2dr sedan 250,000 14.07
    2103 4dr sedan 340,222 19.15
    2109 4dr Townsman station wagon 84,239 4.74
    2124 2dr Delray club coupe 116,406 6.55
    2129 2dr Handyman station wagon 29,419 1.66
    2154 2dr hardtop sport coupe 11,685 0.66
    210 Series Total 831,971 46.83

BelAir Series, 6cyl & 8cyl
    2402 2dr sedan 168,826 9.50
    2403 4dr sedan 366,293 20.63
    2409 4dr Beauville station wagon 25,772 1.45
    2429 2dr Nomad station wagon 25,772 1.45
    2434 2dr Convertible 42,278 2.38
    2454 2dr hardtop sport coupe 189,269 10.65
    BelAir Series Total 800,968 45.09

Bowtie Coupe likes this.
  22. BurnoutNova

BurnoutNova
    from USA

I think you mean sedan delivery. They made just over 10,600 of them from what I've seen on other forums before. My 55 delivery had 2 factory front seats... high option!

I think a handyman wagon was also rare, but they made 20-30,000 of them. Not many at all when you think they made over 1.7 million 55 chevys.

23. Bubba1955

Bubba1955

I was thinking the same thing. Shame to lose it to a thief when you could have gotten it to a safer place away from where it's apparently attracting too much attention.

junk yard kid likes this.
  24. Everything I own is for sale except for my 55 Chevy.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

belair likes this.
  25. Fiend42

Fiend42

Maybe the 57 Handyman and/or Sedan Delivery are in the rarest catagory. Any production numbers on 57 wagons, we have gots to know.

26. Hot Rod Cowboy

Hot Rod Cowboy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've seen the production numbers but here's my experience:

I've been looking for a '55 four door wagon project for a family cruiser for about 2 years (with varying degrees of intensity). I found very few. I know guys dis more-doors a lot, but I've found 10 two door 55 wagons for every 1 four door wagon. And when you do find them, they are all really priced about the same (only talking about wagons, nomads being the exception). I wonder if many of the four doors got crushed because of two door biase over the years? Or maybe guys just don't think they are marketable and therefore don't advertise them for sale?

Just my experience over the last few years.

27. SuRfAcE_RuSt

SuRfAcE_RuSt

Any 55 Chevy 2door is rare these days.

28. I'd say a lot of the 4 door wagons of any kind got scrapped. Who would've ever thought that a 4 door wagon would be cool? I think they're cool but people 25-30 years ago or, even more recent probably never looked at a 4 door wagon bein CQQL!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

hey Hot Rod Cowboy, I know where one is, But im not sure where your located at. haha... The cars come home tomorrow... Hopefully... I have a 63 bel air, a 67 impala, a 69 triumph and a 1990 chevy truck in the shop right now... the 63 is just getting finished ( its a 4 door along with the 67) both hitching a ride to NY when theyre done... and the triumph is an original hill climb car that im putting back to how it was raced, and the truck.... Well my father in law owns a car lot and sneaks stuff in my shop for me to work on for him... (only person I will touch a post '72 car for)... Truck gets painted tomorrow, and out the door friday... So one of the 2 55s will take its place, with the 2 4 doors leaving in about 2-3 weeks, depending on when ever the dang 67s interior gets in... And I have a 49 ford truck rolling in...

30. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

DSCN0368.jpg
    At one time I looked for a 4 door 55 wagon as well and I finally came up with this one but it was pretty rough and it wound up going on down the road like they usually do with me but I also think the 4 door (55s) are more scarce around here as well because they were destroyed in one way or another in years past because of the long time, 4 doors arent cool mentality so only the 2 doors were kept.
    Dont get me wrong two doors are cool but the way I see it if your gonna go looking for a wagon, ya may as well go all the way and make it a 4 door wagon, while you are at it.

Thats just my own personal preference, If I had a 2 door,I would be proud to own it but like I said if "I" were "looking" for one it would be a 4 door.