Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Rare Wheels - show us what you've got!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hemisteve, Feb 15, 2008.

1. JimSibley

JimSibley

I have a set of 6 window slot mags in 5 on 5 bolt pattern. Rare?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. So glad I saw this post. I have a 34 ford chopped n channeled pickup project Ive had for years. About 8 years ago I saw a craigslist ad for a pair of "American racing wheels and slicks for $35". Bought them, always thought they were odd torque thrusts because they had that flange on the spokes and didnt have the typical 5 screw cap. I just looked at the pic here and went out back to look at mine. Sure as heck, thats them. Thanks for the info.

3. Prewar - All questions in life are answered on the HAMB! Haha
    If your wheels are 15X6 and you wanna part with 'em, pm me

4. I don't and they are wider anyway :)

5. BBBad2dabone

BBBad2dabone

16x18 Halibrannd mags

16x18.JPG

6. WillysRule

WillysRule
    from Central FL

Just when you think you've seen it all, someone shows up with a 16x18 Halibrand. Those are crazy.

7. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

Hurst 'Dazzler' Wheels.

George Hurst wanted to offer a safe and strong aftermarket wheel, after seeing many failures from poorly constructed custom 'mag-type' wheels of that era. Hurst wheels were the first to use an aircraft-quality aluminum forging for the center spider which were then riveted to a heavy steel rim.

These wheels were only offered in the 14X6" size.

Manufactured from 1965 through 1969, they were discontinued because of low sales volume. They were very expensive wheels for their time at $75 each retail, they competed against the Cragar SS ($35 each) and the American Torque Thrust ($45 each). High prices likely led to their poor sales and eventual demise, after all coming up with about $350 for a set of four wheels with caps and lugs wasn't easy for most custom wheel buyers in the mid to late '60s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original Hurst warning stickers still intact.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very clean wheels for being nearly half a century old. The plating on the steel rims still looks nice and bright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Close up shot of the rivet heads inside the rim. Note there is some sort of sealing washer under the rivet head so modern tubeless tires can be used.

[​IMG]

Backside of the forged wheel center, surprisingly almost all of the inside edges of the forging are knife-sharp.

[​IMG]

The 'Hurst' logo is forged inside one of the spokes. The Harvey Aluminum logo can be seen as well. The wheel serial number was hand written in permanent ink inside on one of the spokes on every wheel in this set.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Note the steel tab welded to the rim so that the forged aluminum center can be fastened using 2 rivets at each spoke.

[​IMG]

You can see one of the five spring clips used to retain the trim ring here, it's tucked into a void inside the welded tab.

[​IMG]

Trim ring clip.

[​IMG]

Trim ring.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There are 5 small holes in the backside edge of the trim ring right next to the spokes where the end of the wire clips nest to retain the ring. The trim rings tuck into a tightly engineered space in between the spoke and steel rim for a smart finished look.

[​IMG]

Original center caps with faded paint (the gold turns to green) and pitted chrome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Original Hurst long-shank lug nuts, the ones that Hurst demanded be used or risk voiding the lifetime wheel warranty.

[​IMG]

Serial number stamped on the center of the wheel just under the center cap. What I would guess would be a forging number stamped as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Very unusual and beautiful wheels, it's really not too hard to see why they are so coveted by hardcore '60s Pontiac enthusiasts. :)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  8. flux capacitor

flux capacitor

I helped a friend carry a set of these out of a swap meet at a national muscle car assoc show / swap meet in Memphis in early 90s. We "car pals" couldn't see his eagerness to buy them but he's a Pontiac lover & was going on & on about how he'd never seen a set before & he sure didn't let the dust settle before he gave the seller his 200 bucks. Not near as nice as yours but nonetheless in great shape. Now I understand. He's still got them. I'm sure hoarded away with all his other car treasures. Flux

9. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

Found a set of 4 original Mickey Thompson / Rader mags. The original owner had them for sale on Craigslist. He bought 2 of them during his senior year in high school, and his parents bought the other 2 as a graduation present, in 1964.

Two have Sears Roebuck cast into them , (where all 4 were bought), and the other 2 do not. They were only run for about a year when the owner went off to Vietnam. They were stored in his Mom's basement for about 50 years. All of the original lugnuts came with them, too. No center caps, though, because he had never bought any.

Rader 2.png Rader 1.png Rader 3.png Rader 4.png Rader 6.png

Attached Files:

enloe likes this.
  10. das858

das858

16"x10" magnesium S2 americans. 20140627_131306.jpg

mgtstumpy and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  11. hemidart1

hemidart1
    from Moncton NB

12. VinDeuce

VinDeuce
    from SoCal

Howdy Hamb'ers,
    I am looking for a set of the Hollywood Barela wheels, preferably 5x4½. I would like to purchase the set as a gift for my Dad, if anyone has a bead on a set in SoCal or in the vicinity it would be appreciated. The picture is of the wheel I'm looking for. I know theyve been discussed on here before.

Thanks in advance.

BARELA_wheel.jpg

13. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Just scored a pair of the 15" x 13.5" N code gusseted Americans...

Attached Files:

LTM75110 and enloe like this.
  14. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Rare as chicken lips.
    May I ask $$$

LTM75110 likes this.
  15. Todd553

Todd553

Solid 15x8 IMG_2857.JPG IMG_1025.JPG Halibrands.

oldtymehiboy and Jet96 like this.
  16. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

I was given these wheel outers several years ago but no information on what or who made them? They are not a actual wheel cut in half, because they are not thick enough at the lip. Maybe a wheel cover or a advertising sample, no numbers or manufacture information. Anyone seen these before? I polished the lip on one and mounted to the garage wall as a electrical cord rack. IMG_1 (2736 x 1536).jpg IMG_2 (2736 x 1536).jpg IMG_3  (2736 x 1536).jpg

17. They are the aluminium face cut from a two piece wheel, aluminum face welded to a steel rim. Steel tabs are cast into the back of the aluminum were it was welded to the steel rim. Many wheel makers produced the two piece wheel as a cheaper alternative to a one piece aluminum or magnesium wheel. Keystone, and Rocket are just two possibilities. E-T also made a two piece but they usually had the E-T cast by one of the lug nut holes and Mickey Thompson even made one but the spacing for the center cap screws is wider apart then the others and the had the M/T logo cast on the back of a spoke

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
    bowie likes this.
  18. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

Thanks for the information....

19. Here is a pic of the original 6" x 15" Rader mags and new/old 10" x15" Inglewood Pos-A-Traction recap slicks I found for my Mysterion clone. Tires were brand new never used built in the early 60s. Wheels are steel rimmed aluminum centered Raders made in the early 60s. They are exactly what Ed used on the original car. I of course had to reverse the wheels and used Port-A-Wall white side wall inserts because the whitewalls on the slicks didn't match.

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy, Kan Kustom and enloe like this.
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

This guy is selling the tires! Any guess on the rim? Only photo.

lkklkllk.jpg

21. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Well curiosity got the best of me so I called. Old Volvo wheel. Not exactly hot rod material but not bad, and 4.5" bc I believe.
    [​IMG]

22. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

Cant wait to see this done ! Nice work.

23. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Looks like the aluminum section of the old two piece steel rim/aluminum center rims. Nice job on the hose hanger.

24. wheelguy

wheelguy

Q JETCARB WHEELS PARTY 059.JPG E-T 111 17 (yes, seventeen) x 10 > most were 16 x 10.
    I called TEAM THREE WHEELS and they told me very few of these were ever made . I sold the Willys and changed my avatar. ATTACH=full]2995255[/ATTACH]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
    mgtstumpy and Hotdoggin DaddyO like this.
  25. pnevells

pnevells

ET 15 x 10 on our nostlgia altered , radir spindle mounts up front hilltown-1-4.jpg

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. split51

split51
    from guthrie ok

image.jpg Here are a few of my wheels. A pair of 15x4.5 Rockets, a pair of 15x4 slots, a pair of 15x8 tri rib Radirs, a pair of 14x6 MTs and a few pair of magnesiums

enloe likes this.
  27. mags10inch.jpg 15X10 magnesium Americans

chevy57dude likes this.
  28. the closest thing I have to a 'rare' wheel would be a pair of 15" by 6" wide '49-'51 Lincoln wheels I found searching around during Vern Tardel's liquidation sale a couple years ago. They can be made into a real nice looking chrome reversed rim. ...but not too rare.

29. mrrooth

mrrooth
    from Sweden

I have these Ansen Sprint spindle mount. Never seen any other. Then i got Halibrand spindle mount on my roadster, may not so rare. IMG_7090.JPG

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  30. Rocky - The wheels you posted are identical to the ones on the rear of my Chevy. They would be easier to polish if the valve stem was in the spoke area!