Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Rare 1964 Studebaker Cruiser with Avanti R-1 engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by toml24, Apr 1, 2015.

1. toml24

toml24

A regular at the Saturday morning Donut Derelicts car show in Huntington Beach, CA. is this rare 1964 Studebaker Cruiser that came with a USA factory installed Avanti R-1 Engine. Only 38 cars in this configuration were ever built and only 4 of those were green, and this one of them. With the Avanti motor comes a 160MPH speedometer. The owner has a long history with Studebaker. His father owned a Studebaker dealership for many years.
    005.JPG 006.JPG 008.JPG 011.JPG 012.JPG 014.JPG 015.JPG 016.JPG 017.JPG 018.JPG 020.JPG 023.JPG 024.JPG

2. Awesome information. Not so trivial triva. Thanks for sharing.

3. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Absolute sleeper indeed.
    Very cool car :)

4. Phttttt I don't like the color of it. :p:D

Nice old stude. Rare is cool for sure. :cool:

5. The car is ugly but I'll bet it's quick. HRP

6. atomickustom

atomickustom

Yeah, but it's ugly in a good way. (Even I don't know exactly what that means but I know it when I see it!)

7. Years ago I got my clock cleaned by an Avanti powered Lark 2 door post sedan. It had a supercharger too.
    It was mud spattered, missing a couple of hubcaps, had a flattened left 1/4 panel. It looked rougher that 3 nights in jail.
    I thought I was hot stuff in my '57 Bel Air until he showed me the way down the turnpike.

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

That's called getting suckered!!!

volvobrynk likes this.
  9. I wonder if it was owned by Ken Frederick's father? Ken had the Iced T among other cars but his old man was the sleeper nut.When I first met him at the age of 15 he had a 50 Stude coupe with a 53 Cadillac engine.He had a bunch of Studebakers afterward;most of them Cadillac powered but he would try just about anything. He even owned a VW trike built by Ed Roth.
    His last car was a 50 Stude 2 door with 38,000 original miles and powered by a turbocharged SBC.When people asked him about it he would say that it got him to the Social Security office really fast!

volvobrynk likes this.
  10. Robert Crosse

Robert Crosse
    from WNY

DSC01522.jpg
    Learned to drivve on a 53 Commander, three-on-the-tree.
    Dad loved the 53's, had four while I was in HS...58 Golden Hawk was the last Stude we had....now that was pretty quick!!

Bob

11. Zerk

Zerk

Love that Cruiser. Studebakers are a blast! Someday I'll have another, and this time with a 259 or 289, preferably 3sp.OD.