Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rapid Rabbit #112 Build Thread

Discussion in 'HA/GR' started by 64 DODGE 440, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Good to see you makin' progress Tom!

2. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

Yesssssss, it is begun! :cool:

3. class 'A'

class 'A'
    from Casper,Wyo

Coming along nicely!
    Hope your health keeps up.

Mike
    Waiting for Champ Pics. :D

4. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Had a doctor's checkup Tuesday and he said I'm doing good. My goal is to stay that way and make this car come together!:D

5. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Another step forward, got the bat wings made and the spring fitting on the front axle,made the spring clamp plates and got the thing mocked up to figure where the hairpin brackets go.

I have the rear axle mount plates done and fitted to the chassis and once I get the housing cleaned up I'll hang the 8"ford under the back side. Ain't far from being a roller. We be havin' fun.:cool:

First picture is from the front showing the spring mount and basic layout for the hairpins.

[​IMG]

Second shot is from the drivers point of view.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2010
  6. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

That's FREAKIN' COOL Tom! Love that front end.

7. Old6rodder

Old6rodder
    from SoCal
    1. HA/GR owners group

I don't think bone mounts attached with a spring clamp and a pair of vise grips are going to pass tech ........... ANYWHERE! :D

Nor can I truly believe that a rear end-less frame needs kitty litter. :eek:

Parts are starting to resemble a car. Lookin' good Tom. :cool:

8. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Looks cool. :)

that's a lot of leverage. Have you stood on the nose and watched the spring movement?

9. nexxussian

nexxussian

Dang, how'd I miss this? Good news, glad to hear it.

Good to see progress too.

10. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Been there, done that.......I believe that's how the saying goes.

Made that spring from a military M37B1 3/4 ton rear leaf, it doesn't flex much.:D

With the engine setback we'll be running and the planned weight of the car, I don't think we'll have a problem.:cool:

11. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Life is good.......got up this morning and I wasn't in the obituaries, it's another beautiful day to make race car parts.:D

12. 2b-banjo

2b-banjo

Excellent job!!! Very creative, I like it.

13. nexxussian

nexxussian

That's good, it's also the one part of the paper I DON"T read.:eek:

14. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

I wish I lived nearer to ya, I'd swing by and help ya knock it out. :)

15. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

For me it's not the speed of the build or the car when it's done that matters, it's the joy of the trip that makes it all worth while.

We may not be the quickest out there, (in build or ET, though I will admit I cut a pretty good tree), but our goal is to enjoy the journey to the maximum.:D

Quick times and fast runs gather wins, but consistent runs and good reactions do too. Been doing this stuff on and off since 1962 when a couple of friends and I built a gutted shell of a '53 Ford Victoria into a gasser and always done it because it brought a smile to my face. Made some boxes of little pieces out of big parts, (mostly transmissions) and it may have pissed me off at the time, but I have some great memories and tales of "the time the trans case spread across the street", and things like grenading a '39 box and Columbia rear end on the same launch.

If we ain't doing this for fun, what the hell are we doing here?

16. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Well.......got about a week of goofing off in the shop and finally have some more progress to show for it. Got rid of the spring clamps and vice grips in the process and made up the brackets for the rear of the hairpins and the mount plates to hang the 8" ford rear under the rails.

First shot is the rear mount plates.......Rocky, note the liberal use of holes.:p

[​IMG]

Second shot from the front quarter.

[​IMG]

Third shot of the hairpin bracket.......hole saw used here too.:p

[​IMG]

Last shot from the front just 'cause it looks cool.:D

[​IMG]

Stay tuned for more to come. This is looking to be a good month.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  17. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Looks neat. :)

Just curious, how do you plan to dampen the rotational movement shown in the image?

the movement shown is greatly exaggerated so it's easier to see.

[​IMG]

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

MMM Holes.:D

Looks good so far.

19. Toymaker

Toymaker
    from Fresno,CA

Lookin Good Tom! Are you sure you didn't buy those brackets? They sure look nice :D

20. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

It didn't seem to be a problem for these guys, (reference post #66), running much faster than we can hope for so I'm not really concerned with your perceived problem.

Plan on having the front wheels balanced and if an excess of bounce occurs we will deal with it at that time.

[​IMG]

21. ThingyM

ThingyM

Tom,, Don't ya think you might need some sort of a panard bar for the front end..???? And shocks... But it really looks cool...

22. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for the compliment, Rocky.

Sometimes I amaze myself in what I make with a drill press, band saw and belt sander.:p

It takes a bit more time than if I had a properly equipped shop with a mill and lathe and such, but it does link back to doing it how they did back in the "old days".

Must be a carryover from all of my years as a machinist and tool maker that some of it sunk in to my thick skull before I fled the computerization of the trade and took up wrenchin' on old aircraft.:cool:

If tech would accept fabric covering for the body like on the old aircraft I could knock a bit more weight off of the car.:D

23. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The sideways motion is taken care of by the spring, that three leaf quarter ellyptic was made from a military Dodge M37B1 rear spring and is over 1" thick. Plenty stiff enough to handle the loads and damn near rigid so shocks shouldn't be a necessity, but if needed I have that in the plans as an easy add-on.

24. ThingyM

ThingyM

What I was thinking Tom, That you might have some movement at where the spring is clamped to the sq, tube. Thats all... "The Spring From Hell" he he he.......On my Fiat, The front spring is a single leaf 3000# trailer spring...It don't move either.....

25. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

The mounting to the square tube has another piece that isn't there yet, shouldn't be a problem.

26. Man Oh Man...
    This thing is gonna be WILD!

i really hate it when you guy do things that i would NEVER think to do....

REALLY NEAT CAR!

that front end design is just too cool.
    i dig the way you've got your rear end in there.
    love the intake and exhaust.

now get it done.
    if you let DickM get his done first there will be unspeakable thrashings to be had.

27. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Thanks for the kind words, we strive to be unique.......

Not worried about DickM.......he's older than me and I'll take the thrashing.:D

28. vectorsolid

vectorsolid
    from Montana

Your car, do as you please. :)

But "looks like" is not the same as "exactly the same". I'd drop those dudes a note, see if they can get you a close up shot of the front end. Been a year and a half whats a few days to verify something that critical? :)

I looked for over an hour and nobody else is doing it like that. Maybe your extra clever. And if so, I say congrats. the shackle bolts make me uneasy, the trapezoid shape of the front end geometry requires that there be no slop in that joint or it will move side to side. that leaf has become a panhard of sorts. Just be safe, that's all I'm saying (and a few others).

nothing personal, I'd rather have you look at something a few extra times than regret it later. :eek:

29. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Trust me I have checked that front end out from all angles, there is no side play on my setup, no panhard is needed, there is no shackle, (design secret) and the front end is quite safe. No regrets. Just because others haven't taken a path doesn't mean, "lions, tigers and bears, oh my".:D

Back yard engineering still exists and works.:p

30. nexxussian

nexxussian

Um, so it doesn't bother you that you aren't in Kansas anymore?