Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Radical Ray Erickson

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Steve. Ray has the original Cranktwisters plaque on his Packard now.
    [​IMG]

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray:
    Back in 1980 I bought an old 1971 Pinto. It had seen better days. I fixed the rust and repainted it black with flames. Then I went full-house on a 4-banger: Mellings cam, .060 over bore, milled head, 4 barrel, and Offy intake. Full headers. It was fast if you had the rpm up when the light turned green, but I got caught too many times idling. So, I put nitrous on the damn thing. I ordered a nitrous kit for a 2000 cc engine, took the kit home and installed it that evening. Took it out for a road test – NOT GOOD. It blew a piston apart. I WAS PISSED! Went to the shop the next day, and found out they had sold me a kit jetted for a 350 engine. Got a new piston, fixed the engine, then soldered up the two squirter jets. I drilled the jets ‘til I got to .028 thousands and that worked just fine. Fast mother, but I was spending 20 bucks every 4 days for a bottle refill. TOO MUCH FUN! I couldn’t resist racing other cars (nobody wants a Pinto to beat them). But it was too much money for nitrous. So, I got a 289 Ford for 50 bucks with a 3 speed toploader. I rebuilt it to stock, it had a 2 barrel with a quiet single exhaust. I lengthened the front end 6-1/2” to make the 289 install easier. By lengthening the front end, I could use the stock hood latch (no hood pins). It would top out at 138 MPH. Had 3:40 rear end gears and 13" wheels & tires. It was fast and a lot of fun. I switched the complete roof for a hatchback and sliding sunroof. WOW! Talk about fast! I drove it for 16 years, all fun, all the time.
    <O:p</O:p
    The flamed picture was before extending front end and 289 engine.
    [​IMG]<O:p></O:p>
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. I has the pleasure of meeting Ray this past summer at a show.
    That Pinto story is great! I think Ray may be my new hero...

5. The "GT" part of LaJoya really piqued my interest and wonder if there wasn't some Jaguar FHC influence going on...
    [​IMG]

6. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

No. I was facinated by the "Aston Martin DB4"

Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Ray sent me this photo of his current club's plaque for my website .....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

I engraved Both plaques- ORIGINALLY we had plaques cast in Topeka ,Kansas This guy SAID HE COULD MAKE THEM WITH A HOT ROD ----------WELL ,THE CAR LOOKED so "STUPID" ,LIKE A CARTOON CAR- soooooo THE GUYS WOULDN'T USE THEM,,,, SO THAT WAS WHEN i COPIED A 27 t ROADSTER FROM A MAGAZINE - SO TO CONTINUE --the Cranktwister plaque was needed because We [the KCTA club] gave the "incorporated KCTA name" To have the official KCTA drag strip, which the other clubs could join. There have been KCTA duplicate plagues made by John Povenmire . I gave him a silicone rubber mold for that purpose. I can tell a duplicate from a original by where I had 2 holes where I bolted my KCTA plaque on my 34 Cabriolet front bumper bar ----I made the cranktwister plaque so it could attach on top of our KTCA plaques. When casting the duplicate they filled those two bolt holes with clay for the casting impression . I DID NOT MAKE THE MISFITS PLAQUE!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2012
  9. Hi Ray, good to see you here.....when ya coming back up to my shop...youre welcome anytime man/Kenny

10. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Hi! Kenny -- you probably won't believe how many times I told guys about you & your skills. You have built so many cars in your career ,I am barely of an amateur compared to what you have accomplished-----What I have had going for me was a long life which gave me yrs to accomplish what shit I have done.I do not go as many places as I used too. For one thing I really can't afford the gas- There is something that keeps happening..I intend to go visit old friends. & I am too late-They have passed away! BUT ,thats life. One of my best friends in the world died 2 yrs ago ,Then about a year after that ,his wife who was a special friend also died-I am now 83 yrs old & my knee replacement was a success ,BUT, Has limited doing projects near the floor. I could stiil chop tops but, when you weld inside the car,can't really do it-- Heres wishing you the best !

11. Well then if I get down your way Ill come by....and I was as glad when you came up here as I could be....You my friend are the celebrity....:)

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh contrare, Senor! I don't care how good Kenny is Ray, you don't need to say this to anyone! Humility is obviously one of your many virtues.

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump for those who have not seen Ray's work yet.

14. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

15. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So . . . almost another year gone by . . . thought I'd bring this back up for those folks who've missed Radical Ray's hot rod and custom exploits . . . such a great story . . .

16. richie rebel

richie rebel

man,that was back the day for sure.............

17. For the record, I made three copies of the KCTA plaques for John Povenmire back in 1991 from an epoxy pattern he sent me. I made 50 of the Misfits plaque for Ray Richardson in 2007.

Dennis O'Brien

18. grim

grim

Today, Ray tells me he's got a cancerous tumor on one of his kidneys... They're planning on having surgery, but he seems pretty down on survival.. Pass it on. Let's get our asses movin'; he's earned it.

19. Hang in there Ray!

20. Hey guys-Prayer and Good thoughts for our friend Ray,let's keep the faith for a real deal Legend of hotrodding!

21. lo-buk

lo-buk
    from kcmo

We are praying for you Ray. Hang in there...

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hang tough my friend, we're pulling for you.

23. 296ardun

296ardun

Only know him from this story, but he is what lots of us aspired to be, a homegrown talented hot rodder and customizer....hope he pulls through.

24. Abomination

Abomination

Wow - I just found out.

Ray's hardcore! He'll make it!

~Jason

25. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ray has surgery on March 13 to remove a kidney tumor. Please keep him in your prayers and thoughts.

26. Send your words of encouragement here[or a PM] for our buddy Ray.......Its hard worrying about your health and every bit of good thoughts from friends surely helps the spirit......

27. grim

grim

Good news, friends...

Ray Erickson:
    "Man, I've got to tell you, the support from so many people is really NICE & amazing. I am so grateful for all the prayers & caring friends. It gives me a big lump in my throat.---- Dr. said 92% chance of surviving this. HERES HOPING!!!"

28. Ray Erickson

Ray Erickson
    Member Emeritus

Date of surgery changed to March 29th

29. Matthew Boney

Matthew Boney

Hi folks. Ray Erickson is my grandfather. I wanted to let everyone know that he has terminal cancer and he's resting at home. I saw him a few weeks ago when he was still up and talking and he was in good spirits. Thanks everyone for all of your support during these hard times for Ray and his family.

30. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Could spot that Packard a mile away, hopefully I'm reading wrong but it looks like he passed this weekend :/

Rest in Peace