Register now to get rid of these ads!

R.I.P Ted Gotelli

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Benzine440, Nov 3, 2005.

1. I just found out that Ted Gotelli Sr. died on September 16. He opened Gotelli's Speed Shop in South San Francisco in 1961. It's still in business.

http://www.gotellispeedshop.com/

I didn't know him personally, although I probably helped put his grandkids through college. Ted was responsible for some beautiful and fast dragsters.

2. Dawn

Dawn

Ted actually passed away about 5 years ago.

His grandson, Larry, has been active in the nostalgia drag racing scene.

Dawn

3. Stoner

Stoner

And on another note of interest:

Bruno Gianoli, famed mill-builder, has opened up his legendary machine shop in the very same spot where the Gotelli digger was kept during its heyday.

For all y'all who don't know, Bruno was one of the main players (PF-ers), along with The Goat, Jim McLennan, Denny Milani, etc., etc., who shaped Champion Speed Shop, Gotelli's and the entire NOR-CAL drag scene from the early days.

It's a pretty big deal that Bruno's working with Gotelli's again--that's real living history right there and if you get a chance, go drop in for a visit. Well worth it. Matter of fact, I think I'm gonna throw the Vans on and go down there right now. Brun should be drinking coffee down at Liquor Land in San Bruno right now and I think I can still catch him...

4. RenoRat

RenoRat
    from Oxnard,Ca

I used to live around the corner from that shop it kicks ass!!!

5. plan9

plan9

his son john gianoli helped build my first motor, his pop was always chillin with a fat stoggie in his mouth and an old piston with 2-3 butts in it... at 17 they seemed like no bullshit type people but anytime i had a question there was always an answer.

that is really cool news... i was at sonoma when Goodguys (i think) were honoring Gotelli Sr. and i believe it was the first races they had been to with their blown/SBC FED.... thought they gave up on it awhile ago. i remember that day well because one of his sons saw me and a buddy and had us come up to the tower for some food and drink.... then they let us hang out at the starting line to experience FEDs launching off the line... i didnt think they would even recognise us outside their store.

the gotelli's are great people... the stories they would tell a friend and i were RAD and set the precedence for the stuff iam into. that was 13 yrs ago.... just got my license!

edit - i picked up a video made by Xydias during the early 60s... it talks about the progression of dry lakes racing and how it spawned drag racing. its got a little clip of the Gotelli dragster launching off the line, pretty neat... think ill mention it next time i go in. :)

6. Whap! The information I recieved just gave the date. I know better than to not verify.

I guess I can return this rental tuxedo.