Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects questions on lowering a 48 hudson coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by morecowbell, Jun 14, 2016.

1. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

now that i am moving onto the suspension of the 48 Commodore I am thinking of lowering it a bit - not into the weeds but def drop it down while updating the original shocks/coils that have sat for 50+ years (prob keeping leafs as is since i dont have 650$ for new ones).

I measured the leaf spring width and got 2 inches. Just need to get the axle diameter now.

For the front I have read somewhere that the Ford Aerostar coils would work. Has anyone done this on a stepdown Hudson?

From literature I have the following specs:

Hudson coils:
    Free Height: 15-5/16"
    Height under curb weight, 9-9/16"

the Ford ones:
    Free Height - Inches 11.65
    Installation Height - Inches 8.75
    ID - Inches 4.07

Thanks for any insight.

- jason

2. First off if you are looking at 650 dollar leaf springs forget the restorer chit and go to the local spring shop.

Now for the info on the aerostar coils there is a big variable there. Vehicle weight. The curb height on those springs is going to be affected by vehicle weight. If you don't want to drop it a tone and I am sure that you don't if you are keeping the original suspension why not take the original coils out clip a coil and put them back in. You can still go with new shocks for ride control.

triman62 likes this.
  3. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

good point Porknbeaner . i guess i don't trust my measuring ability to make sure i cut both springs equally lol - and keep reading that the ride will be affected greatly especially if i fudge em up good (though i guess if I do i could get new ones from Eaton?)

Was just wondering if there were any new coils available at a local parts place that would work.

I appreciate the advice. Thank you.

4. You can probably look up the spring rate @ eaton as well as the specs size wise then cross reference looking for springs that are shorter and similar rate.

Cutting them is really not that big a deal, you just hang a string down from the end of the coil that will get you one complete coil, do the same on the other. You would be surprised at how many of these jack legs that are not smart enough to pour piss out of a boot manage to cut their coils.

triman62 likes this.

5. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

well i gave in and stopped at a local parts store. sure enough they had a set of 2 in lowering blocks and u joints. $55. thought about making a set but assumed it would be faster this way and if i didnt like it i can return em.

1.5 hours in i have the passenger side done lol. 2 inch blocks is prob the most that can be bolted in and still be able to change the tire. i did it just to check and while not exactly fun, it wasn't too bad. will get the other side sorted thursday night then its brake lines this weekend. then finally onto the rewire. going to save the front suspension for down the road and once the new tires come in.

6. 50dodge4x4

50dodge4x4

Some of the 40s cars used plates the front springs sat on that were riveted or bolted to the lower control arms. If you car has these plates and they are attached o the top side of the control arm, you can lower the car by simply moving those plates to the bottom of the control arm and bolting the plates on with the correct size grade 8 bolts. Moving to plates from the top of the control arm to the bottom of the control arm lowers the front end about an inch, and doesn't effect anything else on the front suspension. Gene

7. morecowbell

morecowbell
    from colorado

thanks 50dodge!