Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Questions about Ford straight front axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by MAtthew RIce, Jul 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

I just picked up this old front straight axle and related parts. Not sure of the year or application, but it came from Bakersfield California and was reportedly on an old street rod. Anyone have guesses on the year? I also have a question about one of the axle features, I circled it in one of the pictures. Was this for a shock?

The axles measures 50 1/2 from kingpin center to center. The spring is 1 3/4 wide. Everything else looks home made - but well done.

My research showed 32 Ford axles measuring 50 1/2 from center to center....so that's my guess right now....

$_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57.JPG what.jpg $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57.JPG what.jpg $_57 (1).JPG $_57 (2).JPG $_57 (3).JPG $_57 (5).JPG $_57 (6).JPG $_57.JPG what.jpg

2. jrsiron

jrsiron

Go to Nostalgia Sids website. It has pictures of all Ford axles

loudbang likes this.
  3. roundvalley

roundvalley

4. It's a 48 Ford axle.

loudbang likes this.

5. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Yes, first [only] year I believe for tube shock and the 50-1/2 deminson is right....I think spring is aftermarket, leaf ends not tapered..I would not consider hair pins very strong at clevis/bolt ends..IMO

6. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

I agree with the strength concern, I'll need to figure something else out I think. They have a slight bend as well, not sure if that was by design or from use. Perhaps I scrap them.

I'm curious about shock angle if I use the stock mounting point on the axle. I'll need to fab the frame mounting points but to get a reasonable angle it would be quite tall, I'd think. Maybe its not a big deal. Opinions vary on the searching I've done.

7. Who needs bolted perches, just weld 'em on.

8. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Probably to get them in different spot? Way worse than that been done!!

9. Far from an ideal axle for a hot rod.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

10. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

I hope you mag test the welds........

11. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

And here I was all excited that I had a piece of history to use for my hot rod!

Shame on me for not buying a Speedway axle, and doing it the old fashioned way. Like my grandfather and his grandfather.

I'll have the welds tested so I can sleep at night, but there is always a weld somewhere that can fail (even on bolted perches).

12. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think spring may be an original '32-3 or Model A, the reason perches have been fabricated inboard. The new perches are not bad in concept, usability would depend on quality of welds, straightness, etc. Radius rods look flimsy, with badly chosen type and severely undersized hardware. If batwings are sturdy, they could be the basis for an early style setup with 4 tie rod type bars, if not they can be obliterated and the axle holes used for alternatives.
    This axle choice would probably be rather high used as stock type spring-over, might be best for a car lowered at frame in front with suicide perch or otherwise raised spring location.
    Rear bars look like traditional 1975 style ox cart...pretty disastrous in geometry, but at least they are...ummm...heavy.
    They would make a good pedestal if you've been having problems with them hotrod kids running over your mailbox.

13. Chill out boss, the guys around here give you good advice; a lot of them have been building hot rods since your grandfather. And FYI; stock Ford perches are forged, not welded...never seen one fail, but I've seen plenty 'home brew like my grandpa' crap fail; not pretty at speed (but then again, I have a family, enjoy my life, and don't really want to lose it anytime soon).

Your mileage may vary

14. The "old fashioned" way would be using an "A" or '32-'36 axle, preferably dropped. The advantages of using these earlier axles instead of "making do" with a '37-'41 or worse yet the wider '42-''48 axles has been discussed many times.

gwhite likes this.
  15. MAtthew RIce

MAtthew RIce

Some guys give advice, others just want to crap on what you have to work with. I'm comfortable enough to handle it on my own from now on. Appreciate everyone's advice, don't get me wrong. I guess I like more constructive criticism than telling me whats wrong, and offering no advice to correct it (as some of you have). Wrong place for me to be. End transmission, and my account.

Markmonty likes this.
  16. Best of luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.