Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Question for the Y block guys

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SCtattooer, May 27, 2015.

1. I recently bought a 55 Ford pickup from a shop that rebuilt the motor for a customer, and the customer never came back for the truck. The motor is the original Y block and 3 speed trans. (Don't ask me what size, I have no idea about these motors.)
    I'm thinking about changing to a later model big block and 4 speed. My question is this. What would this y block motor and trans be worth if I was to sell it? It's only been run to break it in at the shop. Compression is great, clutch is great, trans shifts smooth. any educated guesses are appreciated, as I have zero knowledge of these motors.

[​IMG]

2. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

The shop that rebuilt the engine should have told you what the displacement is as they would have had to measure it for new bearings,rings,and pistons. If i had to guess what engine it started out with in 55 I would bet on it being a 272. However it has been 60 years it could have had several engines in that time.

As for pricing the engine if you don't have documentation to prove the rebuild all you have is a good used engine. In my opinion a good used y-block is worth 500 to 1000 and 1500 to 2500 for a rebuilt y-block with documentation.

3. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

May I ask why you want to replace the y-block? I think they look great dressed up and they just sound bad-ass! Plus they can be built to make tons of power just ask mummert or mctim64.

If you are dead set on swapping in a later engine. You can bolt in a Ford FE using the same motor mounts that bolt to the y-block no cutting or welding required.

Rodshop likes this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

From the picture I do not see a road draft tube on the lower left side of the motor. That would make it a 60s 292. A rebuilt complete 292 ought to be worth a $1000 up.

5. It has the 57 and up intake on it. It might just be the intake or it could be the whole engine is later than 57. Look for a casting number on the head. ECZ-G heads are the good ones and I would think a rebuilt 292 with those heads would be worth 1500-2000. It would cost someone about that much to rebuild one now.
    Thats my opinion, your results may vary.

6. I would just rather have a later model motor that I'm more familiar with. I'll be using the truck for towing a camper or car trailer also, so more HP is a must. According to what I read last night, the factory y block for 55 puts out only 132 HP

7. So how did you get familiar with the FE motors? Its just a motor, like any other motor.

Which Y block did you say that it was? in '55 you could get a 272 or a 292. Either one will pull a camper or a car trailer.

That said I would first ask the shop that rebuilt it. I can see from here that it doesn't have a stock carb not that it is a bad thing to not have a stock carb. If it isn't the original engine for the truck it could be a 312. That alone makes all the difference in the world as for pricing it.

But if it is actually rebuilt and not just a rattle can overhaul even a 272 is going to be more valuable then your FE to the right rodder.

8. A late model 4 barrel on an aluminum intake, headers and a Pertronix ignition and that engine will run just fine.

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look at the lower left corner just above the pan early motors had a road draft tube there with a filter. Ford went to a road draft coming out of the valley cover some had a plate over the hole for the tube. Late motors the hole was cast over. If it is cast over it has to be a 292 or a Merc 312.

10. Getting info from the shop is no longer possible, the shop owner passed away and his son is settling his estate. I do feel more than comfortable that this motor is in fact rebuilt and not just cleaned up. I appreciate all the info, I'll try to figure out this weekend what motor I'm actually dealing with. It seems when I look up parts like 4 bbl intakes that I'm only finding ones for sbf, 289, 302, etc. Are simple parts like water pumps, timing gears and such readily available for these motors? I did find a few sets of headers, alternator and ps brackets and such.

Thanks so much for the info so far!

11. Rodshop

Rodshop

These days you can have about anything in a day or two. I carry a water pump for my Nailhead, just in case. Have two Y Blocks in the build process, so will likely do the same. I have had no problems finding parts for the Y Blocks.

12. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

It is easy to find y-block parts. Egge and Kanter both carry all the parts you would need to maintain your engine.Hell you can get a water pump from rockauto.com. If you want to build more power into the y-block you need to talk to Mummert he sells new aluminium intakes, cylinder heads, roller rockers, timing chain sets, and stroker kits. There is another guy on here named Ybloke who has made an intake to install a 4-71 supercharger on a y-block.

for more info look at y-blocksforever.com and ford-y-block.com

13. vintagetinman

vintagetinman

You should also look at yblockguy.com

14. sunbeam

sunbeam

Aftermarket 4 barrel intakes are hard to find and good large carb pattern stock 4 barrel units only came on 57 312s and larger trucks I did see one at my last swap meet for $150

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  15. pdq67

pdq67

I just found out that the later(??) 312 engines have a modern combustion chamber design.

I think it was over in Speedtalk's "Valve Shrouding -- Myth or Fact" thread.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5623

It's an old and very long thread but to me well worth the read..

pdq67

16. A FE unless it a truck engine like a 330 or a 361 out of a big truck. Will not fit on the 55 Pk Y block mounts. The truck Y block has two rear mounts on the bellhousing and one at the front. a Car and Pk FE has two side mounts on the block and one at the rear trans tailhousing. the bob trucks have the same FE mounting as a Y block.

17. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

A 55 truck could also have a 239 and since it has a later water pump and the 57 and up intake its probably a 272 or 292.