Register now to get rid of these ads!

History >>>Proof is in the Pudding:Early Chevy V8 Hot Rods!!!!<<<

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Dec 24, 2009.

1. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Is'nt this the Fiat body a HAMBER found a while back, and was asking help in identiying it? As far as the SBC and days-of-old go, keep them coming. Butch/56sedandelivery.

2. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok...just 2 weekends ago I pickd up my '55 265 4bbl, dual exaust stocker w/PowerGlide. Appears to be an January built motor. Anyway, it's going in my '29 Roadster.

I've wanted a 265 for awhile and this one pops up.

To me these are as traditional a motor as any out there and like I have said before...set the flathead on it's ear!

Now, I'm looking for a couple of dressup pieces for it. '62 Corvette flat air cleaner (if it fits my Carter 4bbl and the finned Corvette staggered bolt valve covers. I'm looking for the worn look not the polished shiny cause I'm not repainting my engine.

So this gives me my flathead in my '32 pickup and the 265 in my roadster.:)

3. Tony

Tony

GREAT thread JJ!
    SO much cool stuff!!
    You already know i'm a SBC guy..boring or not i love em :D especially the small journal high winding ones..

Here's the little 331 i'm building for my 32. 63 block, 65 heads 67 GMC 6-71..etc etc etc.. it's not the proof in the pudding that those killer vintage pics show, it's just carrying on what they started :)

Tony

Attached Files:

• 331g.jpg
      331g.jpg
      File size:
      165.9 KB
      Views:
  4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Anybody that would put AFB's on one of those intakes needs to be tied to a car and dragged. I know YOU will do the right thing...;)

5. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Ah, well.. There may be a change in plans. Don't worry, I'd run the factory WCFBs if I could find some but something else caught my eye. I can't reveal too much just yet.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Take a gander at this.
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416175&highlight=265&page=20

Starting on pg 20, and over the next 3 pages or so, Heathen and I went off on a tangent on making non 2x4 WCFB's look and perform the part, lots of info here.

7. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

That's one of my favorite threads on here. Thanks for reminding me about it. I know what I'll be reading through today..

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

So cool to look under the hood of a 40 Ford see a small block Chevy bolted to the Ford Trans and 32 Ford motor mounts in front. now tell me chevy did not know what thay where doing. It was meant to be

9. [​IMG]

Getting Closer :)

10. Josh, That beast is looking awesome! It ought to make the Can-O-Worms cower with fear! And THAT'S saying something!! :D

11. E.C.

E.C.
    from Tx

Awesome!!!

12. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is another one of those threads that I've been subscribed to for a long time but could never get caught up to the end . . . until now. :)

Great stuff JJ, very cool.

13. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Damn these boring belly button motors!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
  14. cball

cball

Here is my fathers 36 chevy pickup with a dual quad 327.. always loved looking at these pics when I was a kid.

Attached Files:

15. Jeffery! I hope this message board is still active, I am going to bring up an old subject that might dated. My name is Russ Aves and some history of my 1932 three window coupe. Back in late 1951, I was 15 at the time and a pretty good mechanic i bought this 32 Ford for $75.00 off of a used car lot in West LA. Stock 21 stud / the works. My drivers license came not soon enough in January after an early Equipment ticket . Starting a bunch of early engine and Chassis modifications in my 2 periods a day in High School Auto Shop I Headed off to the Saugas Drag Strip. I learned not to give any cushion to a 37 Buick Century Coupe. Well let me jump ahead to my Perches of one of the first Chevy 265 to end up in a Competition Hot Rod. After High School I got a Good job at a Chevrolet Dealer Ship. After about a year in late 1954 the new 1955 Chevy V8 was released. After fixing many new car warranty problems, Rocker arm and rear main seals I had to have one. Still in 1954 I tried ordering a complete Motor . ( was not available ) Next I ordered a short block. At $112.00 . Heads at $12.00 each Valves and springs extra. the Pan about $6.00. Next I needed A bell housing Adapter to a 39 Ford Trans. I had got to know Tony Capanna with WILCAP I gave them the Engine for pattern work and bingo A bell housing adapter. I checked with Jack Engle for cam work but he was busy with Oldsmobile work. Off to Ed Eskenderian, he and Sig Erson Fixed me up with an E2. Next over to Frank McGurk for some Head and manifold milling. Vic Edelbrock was later with a 3/2 setup. I wasn't on the road by January But was very close. Who was first I cant say But I am willing to shear .
    Russ Aves PS I am now back to a Z block Flat Head, could not be happier

16. McFly

McFly

Great story...thanks for sharing proost. Let's see some pics of that 3W!!

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Awesome!!! What a cool story thanks so much for sharing!!!!

18. Proost= awesome!
    Cball- love the truck!

19. Randy P

Randy P
    from Austin, TX

Proost, super cool Deuce 3W, channeled and full fendered no less! It's an awesome car and even better story that you still have it and it continues to evolve, now full circle with a flattie again. I hope you don't mind but I'm going to post these pics from your profile, too cool not to...

Attached Files:

20. 60srailjob

60srailjob
    from nowhere

way cool thread....the pictures are awesome and the vintage speed parts...cool

21. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why didn't I htink about looking in his profile??!!! That's so awesome!!!!

22. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Fantastic story Russ. Thanks for sharing.

23. Jeffery! Your SBC Valve cover quest takes me back some 59 years to 1954.
    Back then the 265 was not a recognizable engine so I chose to keep it that way. The first thing I did was to hammer down and grind flat the Chevrolet Script on the V/C Before plating,. The Exhaust manifolds were early Corvette with just a 2 bolt flange.I had welded the plate on to create a choke stove. The pictures i will try to attach aren't that clear.
    The Best Of Times Russ

Attached Files:

24. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Pure awesomeness Proost!!!! Those manifolds look so cool and the VC's are even cooler!!! Love pics like these!!!

25. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Last post Jan '13? Time for a bump to the top...

26. The one thing that I really enjoyed with this thread were the old
    HRM rotogravure style green pages. Those were the first place I would go through when the the new issue hit the stand at the drug store. Thanks for posting all of them, brought back a lot of memories. I still have most of them.

27. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bump for the sbc haters.

28. Ruth Realty 38 copy.jpg Jerry "The King" Ruth in 1960. His 1938 Chevy coupe ran a blown 327.

29. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Im a fan of SBC's--not so much crate mtrs thought. Fond of 327's and took out my 57 283 CI 283 HP Fuely today with the Rochester FI and solids-love the sound and the feel-takes me back 50 yrs. A 40 std I just did had a snotty little 63 327 in it and ran quite well too-pretty quick and sounded great at full tilt and up in the rpms.

30. I always get these sidewalk supervisers that come up to me and say, "Why'd ya put a Chevy in it?"
    and I always tell them, "Cause that's what they did back in the day!" (They don't believe me.)

Then they say,"Ya should've put a Ford in it." and I say, "Ford put Fords in them, and when they wanted to go faster, we put Chevies in them!"

There you have it... the proof's in the pudding. Thank you for this thread.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015