Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Project [s] you wish you had finished...

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by sloppy jalopies, Feb 26, 2017.

1. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Scan0018.jpg This one comes to mind... drew a profile scetch ['03]... had the car 7/8 finished and when my back retired without me !
    New owner [FLA.]sent me 4 pix of it when he got it on the road... don't like the grill SPEARS or the SPEEDO...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 26, 2017
  2. Harms Way

Harms Way

Started this a few years ago as a Daily Driver.... Ended up selling it to an old High School pal who fell in love with it..... This would have made a really great DD.
    [​IMG]

Jet96 likes this.
  3. hotrodyankee

hotrodyankee

Had so many that I'm still kicking myself in the ass! Happy what I have now.

4. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

I have two. One not exactly HAMB friendly, the other would be...mostly.

A 65 Corvair. I had bought a Crown Kitted, mid-engine Corvair. A LOT of fun to drive. Who needs brakes when you have a car that handles like those do. This particular car had it's problems though.
    I sold it after a year or so and started out to build my own mid-engine Corvair. I used the V-6 Buick engine with a V-8 Powerglide trans. This way, I didn't need any special seats, or have to have them moved up so your knees were hitting the dash. I made an adapter for the engine/trans. bolt-up.
    But...my desire for power got ahead of me, and by the time I had all of the required engine parts, I had the makings of about a 400hp engine, with a little 6" (ish) ring gear in the differential.
    This was to be my daily driver. I didn't want to be changing ring gears all the time. Too late to go back and build another engine...sold it.

An Altered (drag racer). Had the car about 85+% done, two and a half engines, a lot of stuff. I lost my job. I was selling toys to keep my house. The Altered finally had to go. I really did miss that car.

Mike

5. Latigo

Latigo

image.jpg I was building this in high school in the late 60's. I traded or scrounged all the parts. Went off to college and didn't want to leave it cluttering my parents back yard so I sold it to my sister's boyfriend for $75. She later dumped the boyfriend and I have no idea what happened to the coupe.

6. Drewski

Drewski

This..........unfortunately in 1967 I got a letter from Uncle Sam requesting my presence at the local draft board for an all expense paid vacation for a few years.

[​IMG]

Jet96 likes this.
  7. Yeah,I sold several cars when my mom was going through chemo and I was trying to help her with living expenses,a few of them was no big deal but the last one to go was very close to being a finished car and I wish I could have finished it. HRP

[​IMG]

Jet96 likes this.
  8. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In looking back all of these years, there were many times we had grueling conversations after 1966. (60-65 Recovery and college) When we got together, it was about how we would have finished our 40 Willys C/Gas Coupe. If we had another month, it would have been finished in time for the Nationals in Detroit 1960. Our Willys Coupe was a true backyard experiment, as it was our first full race ( but street legal) competition car we built from the ground up.
    upload_2018-7-1_5-12-11.png
    With the build the way it was, we were very competetive in the C/Gas class. Our times were within a ½ sec of the national record. But, looking back, we both wish we had enough money to finish the car the actual way we wanted it to be.

The major roadblock was the LaSalle 3 speed transmission and clutch. We could get off of the line, but the faster racers were switching over to the stick hydramatic transmissions. That was in the future for us, but if we had put in that stick hydramatic with the new re-build of the 292 SBC and the 671, the clutch would not have blown up and the fire would not have happened. We would have been on our way…
    upload_2018-7-1_5-13-9.png 1960
    We had ordered bigger M&H slicks, Halibrand wheels, 2 port Hilborn injector that was on its way the following week of August. Our B&M trans was in the works as my brother just got a big check from his work. We had an appointment for a full upholstery job and paint for the following two weeks, so by the end of August, we were going to be ready to tow back to Detroit for the Nationals.

Jnaki
    upload_2018-7-1_5-15-47.png
    The Willys was going to be ready to race at Detroit in C/Gas with all of the goodies that we had on order. The main thing was that it would have been finished with the B&M instead of that 3 speed LaSalle. So, yes all of those midnight conversations about our first Willys Gas Coupe build and what could have happened, did come up with results that would have made us very happy.

Maybe we would have still been in the industry. Then again, maybe not, as life, relationships, and family came a knocking on our doors…

upload_2018-7-1_5-21-30.png

Jet96 likes this.