Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project "Log-Dog", 1950 Chevy

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by cmarcus, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Slopok

Slopok

Alright, sounds like a good time and a lot closer than Bueno Beef. Next time you see me around somewhere come up and introduce yourself. Have already met several Hambers face to face since joining the forum and the breakfast club.

2. cmarcus

cmarcus

I definitely will - though every time I have gotten a shot of your car (last year at Roadblock, this year at Jalopyfest) I haven't see you by the car! ;) I will keep an eye out for you in the future for sure!

3. Slopok

Slopok

And there's good reason for that....if you look closely every nick, chip & dent that you see was done by me in the garage over the last 32 years. :eek: That's why I just park it and walk away anymore.:)

4. cmarcus

cmarcus

Well, I can't see a dang thing wrong with it! Love it. Perfect blend of hot rod and kustom!

5. Slopok

Slopok

Thanks for the compliments, I appreciate that.

6. cmarcus

cmarcus

Well, a 32 yr old car that looks that nice deserves it!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. cmarcus

cmarcus

So, got a little more help with my direction. Thinking to just go simple...I always had black or a dark blue satin in my head for this car, thought I would see it in both. I think I am leaning towards blue (and my wife always points out blue cars as well.... ;))...but we will see.
    50 Chevy black & blue.jpg

8. impala4speed

impala4speed

Man, you're doing a great job with this car. I like either the black or blue versions posted above but,yeah, I think the blue is just a bit cooler.

9. Slopok

Slopok

You'll never go wrong with Black w/Flames, Timeless!;)

10. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thanks Denny! I appreciate the compliments. Sometimes I feel like the only progress I am making is through photoshop, but better to have my vision narrowed down! Hoping to finish pulling the motor from the truck this week/end, and get the wheels mounted up, and the lowering blocks OUT of the rear.

Hmmm...wonder why you would say that?! :p

11. Slopok

Slopok

See if you can find someone who has that combination and show your Wife.
    Happy Wife, Happy Life.:)

12. cmarcus

cmarcus

Ain't that the truth!! :)

13. Slopok

Slopok

Whatever you choose, you many wanna consider gloss as opposed to flat. Tough to keep clean contrary to the belief, and not necessarily cheaper.

14. cmarcus

cmarcus

I am looking to use Squeeg's Kustom's product...I have heard a ton of good about it from other HAMB'rs....

http://www.squeegshotrodconnection.com/product/squeegs-top-coat/

15. Slopok

Slopok

Am I reading the instructions correctly that states you do not necessarily have to shoot over primer? Can be applied directly to bare metal. Sounds strange if that's the case but would save some money.

16. cmarcus

cmarcus

Yes, you are reading that correctly. From what I've read from others you can wax, wash, etc. Then if you decide to do a full on paint, you can use it as a primer (IF you have a straight body) it is not a high-build. Although my car is pretty dang straight with the exception of a few areas that I need to address. I will probably do one coat of high-build and sand prior to this. This car is being built as a more "rough and tough" hot rod style...perfection isn't in the books yet. Just a clean driver is what I'm looking for.

17. Looking good man! Can't believe I missed this thread!

18. cmarcus

cmarcus

Thanks @Dan Hay! Again, car is sitting in the garage here in Chicago, wheels waiting to be mounted, 283 SBC is in Michigan on a stand simply waiting for a rebuild, have the headers, trans, rearend, all just waiting to go in. Need a few good weekends of work, and I'll be onto something! Just hard to get to with this one around! ava.jpg

19. cmarcus

cmarcus

This ain't mechanical progress, but some fun nonetheless! And as someone put it, a project you can complete in one afternoon!

1430773166001.jpg

1430773225864.jpg

1430773251932.jpg

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Nice touch!

21. cmarcus

cmarcus

@1959Nomad thank you! Next up....wheel change!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Looking good homey.

23. cmarcus

cmarcus

Put a little elbow grease into 'er today, simple stuff and making progressbut it isn't costing me anything! Better to be in the garage than not at all.

How 1/2 looks so far...I think a previous owner was going to paint it black at some point and started by rattle canning the jambs on the entire car which resulted in overspray which kinda kills a somewhat decent patina be making it look "greasy", if that makes sense...

1430963322678.jpg

And 1/2 complete, laid into the bumper and trim as well with some polish.

1430963489728.jpg

I think once I get the new wheels on they will compliment the brightwork nicley, and I'll be able to live with the patina for now! Just need to get the SBC in there...

24. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Any progress is still progress, always nice to make some without having to open the wallet. Looking good

25. Looking good Charlie!

26. cmarcus

cmarcus

@1959Nomad @guthriesmith

Thanks guys! And then pulled her out yesterday cause it was 80+ degrees and haver 'er a bath. Is that progress?? ;)

A local car cruise at this great hot rod/biker bar around the corner has started up every Thursday, so it'll be nice to get over there soon. Had to help move a buddy last night so I couldn't make it. ..

1431087172728.jpg

1431087194824.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

It's looking great man. I've got a 50 chevy 4 door as well. Mine is going to need a lot of work to get to where yours is though. Keep it up.

28. mrconcdid

mrconcdid
    from Florida

Nice car.!
    Godspeed
    MrC.

29. Nice job, I really like the way the car looks right now.

30. cmarcus

cmarcus

@Crazy Backyard Builder thank you!

Doing a little more daydreaming...and playing with ideas. I know I need to hash out what I really want before I commit and make some expensive decisions! My previous iteration, more the "hot rod" version I feel doesn't make as much sense, since the 283 is certainly not going to win me any races, so wondering if a "mild kustom" would be more suited, granted, I am not sure I will be able to afford a chop anytime soon, and certainly do not have the skills!
    Thoughts? (I know, I know...it's my car, my decision...)

50 Chevy Kustom.jpg