Register now to get rid of these ads!

Project 29 Tudor in Mass.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mikel50, Apr 17, 2015.

1. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

That flathead looks promising to me actually. It looks a lot better than many I've seen. It looks better than mine did when I drug it home. The key thing I find with FH evaluation in New England, is that as long as it was parked in a buttoned up state like that one, mainly with the spark plugs still in the heads in particular, you may well be in luck. That one looks like a "ran when parked" engine to me.

2. Mikel50

Mikel50

The owner said his father brought it home for a spare engine for the F6 dump in the other picture. He said they never needed it though. It looks complete so I'm hoping there is a chance it can be rebuilt at some point. Fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    brEad and patmanta like this.
  3. mike bowling

mike bowling

Very Good; proceed.

brEad and Mikel50 like this.
  4. Mikel50

Mikel50

Garage therapy session this afternoon. I typically don't do much on the weekends because I spend time with my daughter at the barn.
    So I got to work on my radius rods today. I'm not all that confident in the integrity of the thin walled factory rods so I'm adding an upper arm to them. It's 1-1/4" DOM tubing mated to a plate I made. It bolts to the axle tube at the brake backing plate bolt location. I made it so it will bolt on the top two holes and will be welded to the upper surface of the radius rod mount and to the top of the rod itself. I cut the tube at the front at a taper from the front edge to 24" back. Took a while because I wanted to get it to fit just right.
    I'm going to make the passenger side before I tack anything and finish weld it tomorrow.

[​IMG]
    Started with a cardboard template

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Then started cutting and bending things ...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I called in a favor from a good friend and this showed up the other day. Put it to use today
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Mike,
    Pulled the body off my car this weekend to make some changes/upgrades to it including new front and rear springs along with some 3.54 gears for the rearend.

With the suspension unloaded I have 6" between the frame and axle. I'm going with reverse eye springs and I'm going to kick up the rear a couple more inches to drop the back end and make the car level.

Cliff
    IMG_5053.JPG

volvobrynk and Mikel50 like this.
  6. Mikel50

Mikel50

Cliff what body do you have. (Wondering regarding weight) I switched out the rear reverse eye a few days ago to gain a little more clearance. I gained about 3/4" between the axle and the frame.
    I know I'm going to have to notch the underside of the frame for my radius rods now. It will be boxed and I'll line the notch with a larger radius tube to clear the upper rod.
    If things don't work I may have to go another route. But I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

7. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

Mike,
    I have a Tudor but it was pretty sparse inside.

Gas tank was in the back and just a front seat. Making changes to fit a rear seat for the grand kids, it was one at a time but would like to take them AND my wife too.

Where in mass are you, I'm right down the road, Windsor locks, Ct.

Cliff
    IMG_1970.JPG

biggeorge, volvobrynk and Mikel50 like this.
  8. Mikel50

Mikel50

I'm located in South Shore Mass in Middleboro. Thanks for the pic, nice to see what my car is supposed to look like.

9. Mikel50

Mikel50

Got some things off my check list this past week and weekend.

Got my radius rods fabricated w the added 1-1/4" DOM tubing. I ended up figuring out (afterwards) the larger tie-rod ends have a larger shank on them than used in the tapered mounts I bought. So I had to hunt down a reamer and reamed them out so they fit.

Got that done and got things fitted up I welded things together. Moved onto the frame by removing the tabs someone had welded on for some type of radius rod/4 link setup at some point before I bought it.
    Cleaned those up, filled the banger motor mount holes with plugs I made from some 3/16" plate. Filled the added steering box mount someone torch cut back when. Filled an exhaust pipe relief someone cut into the frame on. It's top and bottom sections of frame rail.
    Filled sanded, filled sanded fender and running board bracket holes down both sides of the frame...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I made sure I stayed hydrated and warm in the garage while the snow was falling. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  10. Mikel50

Mikel50

As you can see in the last pic I bought an Eastwood tig 200 because I wanted to learn how to tig weld... so I got everything I needed for it. The jar to the left of the torch helps ease the frustrations quite a bIt thankfully.

clunker and biggeorge like this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Looking sporty mike

Mikel50 likes this.
  12. Mikel50

Mikel50

Been a few weeks since I've posted anything. Been picking away at things cleaned up the frame a bit more.
    Got the F1 crossmember mounted for good finish welded my radius rods.
    Finally got the front spring/perch/shackles figured out. I used the main leaf on a 31" reversed eye and used the leafs from the orig spring I purchased with the axle. Minus the #2 leaf. (I don't like those plastic sliders) [​IMG] (I need to shorten the lower leafs and put my rebound bolts on the spring )
    Got the hairpins mocked up and the mounts tacked onto the frame. Had to modify the top tube by removing the last 1/2" of thread so I had equal thread showing and equal adjustments if I need to change my caster in the future. [​IMG]
    Axle is at 6-7deg with weight on the spring. Mounted some cycle tires on the 40 steels and set it on the ground. [​IMG]
    With the weight on the springs my frame has a 3deg rake. I'm pleased with the stance at the moment.
    I moved onto getting the F1 steering box mounted to the frame.
    Had a tough go at it with the available space with the factory manifolds. I then remembered I was given an old boogered up set of headers from one of the gentleman I had purchased parts from. (He said I may need them) boy was he right.
    [​IMG] this made my week.
    Moved onto the steering.
    Cut off the A flange and then cut up the F1 box after stripping the internals.
    Things went smoothly. (I didn't weld anything yet. Just mocked up with the A sector shaft holding it in alignment.)
    I wanted to set the body on to see where the stance was now it was on the ground...
    I plan on channeling the car so I know it made no real sense sitting the tub on the frame.
    But I couldn't resist.
    Set the tire ring fenders on and fiberglass Grill Shell on there while I was at it. (I'll be chopping the Grill Shell when it comes time when I do the channel.)[​IMG]
    Maybe some day I'll stumble across a real one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'm happy with how it's looking this far. I know I have some changes to make but it's good to see it resembling a car.

13. Mikel50

Mikel50

I was also given a full set of 4 Mobil Tire Deluxe 5.00-16's. I threw some tubes in after cleaning two up for the rears. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Tim and biggeorge like this.
  14. Mikel50

Mikel50

Ups dropped off all my Brake parts for the front today and also my wheel bearing kits for both ends as well as a few boxes of other things I need to keep moving forward.

Time to start researching how to channel this thing ...

biggeorge likes this.
  15. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Man, that looks great! Check out Pete's build thread- "the 32 nobody wanted" he did a light channel on his car. Very straighforward and tidy.

Mikel50 likes this.
  16. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Oh yeah, the 'shine' is great! I need to come see your set-up. I would like to make some myself

Mikel50 likes this.
  17. Mikel50

Mikel50

Petes car is amazing. I've been following it since I started working on my car. I've been searching through the forum and have found lots of pics and threads focused on channeling.
    I would like to get the wheel well / fender arch just above the tire. I really like that look, think that puts me about 4". I need to mock up a seat first though. I'm not real tall but I know that headroom is minimal in these cars. Mine is already chopped 3"-3.5"

18. Mikel50

Mikel50

I'm glad you enjoyed it. That jar had been in the fridge since mid summer. May have lost some kick.. I can get things set up and be prepared for you to take a ride down. It's a long process but the results are worth it

Last edited: Mar 4, 2017
  19. Mikel50

Mikel50

Thanks Ron, I appreciate it.
    I read up on Petes build thread again. Definitely like the way he channeled his car. I need to get my pedals situated and the hand brake location and mounted not to mention the firewall removed and recessed.

Think I better stock up on cutoff wheels huh.

20. great project, keep up the good work

Mikel50 likes this.
  21. Mikel50

Mikel50

22. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

What size cut off wheel you use, 4 or 7? I can provide either. If you're up this way let me know when.

23. Mikel50

Mikel50

I have both sizes... but I went to Tractor Supply and bought all the 5 packs they had of the 4" and picked up some 7" for the big stuff.

I've been out of town in Jersey all week.
    Just got home hoping to get in the garage this coming week to start figuring things out.

24. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Mikel50 likes this.
  25. Mikel50

Mikel50

Thanks Ron. That's very kind of you. Been searching for hand brake mounts and pedal mounts...that will be the next few items on my list.

26. I got the Eastwood Tig 200 as well. I dig it. I've been watching this thread, you're doing a great job. I'm learning a lot from you, I also would like to build an A. Thx. I live in MA too.

Mikel50 likes this.
  27. Mikel50

Mikel50

I really like it. I've spent some time using it over the last month. It's a lot to learn. I'm hoping to get some more time under my belt throughout my project.

Thank you for the kind words, I'm glad you've learned something from my posts. It's nice to know people are following along.
    It's been a long road.

28. Mikel50

Mikel50

Where abouts in Mass are you located ?

29. '52 F-3

'52 F-3

just enjoyed looked through your thread, you did a great job saving that model a frame.

Mikel50 likes this.
  30. Mikel50

Mikel50

I greatly appreciate that. It's a good feeling to finally be making some progress on it and see things coming together.
    Thank you