Register now to get rid of these ads!

Progress Pics - 49 Ford COE project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 38Chevy454, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Here are a bunch of pics that is a condensed progress on my 49 Ford COE project from about the last month. Follow along the description with each pic. I already have the COE body, now I just need to mount it on a chassis, I am not using any of the stock frame or drivetrain. This is a low-budget build, trying to use existing parts and not spend any real big money.

First have a good buddy give you a suitable donor chassis. Tim (TERPU) had this 74 GMC, and only wanted the 454 and turbo 400 back. The chassis was mine to use, I drove this home and started disassembly.
    [​IMG]

Stripped the GMC down to the bare chassis. Lots of pressure washer and engine cleaner and now I had the rolling chassis ready, note I kept the brake booster and master all hooked up, gonna use that as-is, along with the GMC's inside swing pedal assy:
    [​IMG]

Next, take my wife's 37 Chevy coupe apart to get the 350 SBC from it, a good runner, nothing beyond stock. The 37 is going to be built up Westergard style, but here it is getting ready to start stripping the chassis and minus the engine and trans.
    [​IMG]

Next, after making a deal with Tim to keep the turbo 400 trans from the GMC, I gave him a slip-yoke 400 instead. This enabled me to use the driveshaft and not require any custom work. Some cleaning up degreasing and bolting to the 350 which also was degreased and cleaned up, here is the COE's drivetrain:
    [​IMG]

Hereis the engine and trans mounted in the chassis. The engine and trans mounts are the same as the 454, so it is an easy bolt-in:
    [​IMG]

Once the chassis was ready, time to put the COE body on, start trimming metal and mock up the location. Trimmed off about 12 inches from the front of the GMC frame, and lots of sheetmetal from the COE inner fenderwells:
    [​IMG]

This is the inside cab, the firewall is about at the front of the engine, and will have pretty serious trans cover:
    [​IMG]

Finally, here is a shot with the hood just set on to show the overall look. The suspension needs serious lowering, it will sit much lower when finished. but I need to get it all mocked up and need to get the body mounted for sure, then do the suspension:
    [​IMG]

2. long island vic

long island vic

looks good makes me want to work on mine....whats going too happen in the back

3. Forgot that part, it will just be a flatbed, cheap and easy, will be about 10.5 feet length.

4. speedaddict

speedaddict
    from Austin, Tx

Sup Terry, got some crazy projects still going on I see....coming home for LSR this year??

5. phat rat

phat rat

Don't know about the Ford, but I did up a 48 Chev COE and a regular booster/master set-up was too long to fit under the hood. So I used a booster/master from a Dodge van that mounted sideways, like the Kugal set-up. One thing not every van had a set-up like that you just have to hunt

6. Instead of modifying the suspension, what about channeling the body lower on the frame? Then you have a smooth ride with plenty of suspension travel.

7. burger

burger

I like it a lot! Are you going to have enough room left in the cab after the doghouse cover?

8. ray

ray
    from colorado

what happened to that RV that blew up in your yard a couple of years back? wasn't that going to be the donor?:D

9. Speedaddict, I want to make it for the LSR, I will let you know.

Phat Rat, I will have to see the clearance once it gets more detailed in the build-up, thanks for the tip.

Richard, the suspension is not even compressed at this point, it is sitting all the way up. The front sheetmetal is channeled somewhat already, that is what i cut all the inner fenderwells to allow.

Burger, the engine cover is not actually that bad, it will be tight, but I actually think it will be pretty good room. The floorpan can be flat until almost at the bellhousing, then it just needs to go up and over the distributor and carb and around the heads.

Ray, the RV chassis is still at my house and is going to go under my other COE, the blue 51 GMC that you can sorta see in the background of some of the pics. The GMC will be engine behind the cab and be made into a car hauler. Trying to make this Ford COE as easy, cheap and fast, like one of my old girlfriends!

10. lesabre59

lesabre59

Hey Terry,

I cant believe I missed this post, looks like your moving along, wish i were there to help ya wrench on it. Lemme know if your gonna make the Roundup this year.

11. what are your plans on the steering? I've heard of guys using a p30 box to get the angle upwards toward the dash. otherwise, I think there's fits with a conventional-cab-oriented steering box...

12. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

terry that is a pretty motor you have there. explain the difference between the trannys... educate me

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

As far as steering goes look for a 1 ton van steering box . the input shaft is vertical as apposed to rearward tilting. Solved a bunch of steering hookup problems.

Frank

14. I don't think I know anybody else with two cabover projects going on at once.

You still driving the ElCamino??

15. 47fordcoe

47fordcoe
    from San Diego

everybody knows I love the COE projects.....cool as hell brother!!!:D

16. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

Good looking project. I've always loved the old F-1 COE's.

17. Wow, an old post back from the archives.

Update, the brake booster and master cyl are mounted on the firewall under the hood, it fits fine. This is the exact one fromm the 74 GMC chassis donor. Used the same swing pedal set-up from the truck as well.

Steering right now I think I can use the stock box, just need to get one of those high dollar U-joints for the angle between the box and column. Will find out for sure this weekend.

Boones, there are truck turbo 400's that have a bolt-on yoke, kind of like a rearend yoke. With the caps and all, the driveshaft must have the slip yoke. Think of a front driveshaft on a 4wd. Car versions have the slip taken up by the yoke sliding in and out of the trans.

Flt-Blk, I just sold the 59 El Camino last weekend at Turlock. To a guy from Sweden believe it or not, it is going overseas. Yes I still have the 51 GMC COE and that will be made into a car hauler, but several years out until that gets worked on.

The 49 Ford COE will be my daily driver soon as I get it running. I will post more progress pics once I get the more photographic stuff done. Cab mounting, brake and steering are not too exciting of pictures to look at. That is what I am working on recently. Thanks for the interest from everyone, it will be fun once it is up and running.

18. Hotrod F-1

Hotrod F-1
    from OK

That's exactly what I did on my F-1. Mine came from a '79 though.

19. egg man

egg man
    from IN.

just finsh 48 and started on a 48 4 door

Attached Files:

20. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

I was reading your post and drooling at the same time because of all the info you had. I am building a 48 FORD COE and need all the info I can get. You said you had to trim off the front of the donor frame 12"? You had to do this so the COE fenders would fit? The motor and tranny are still in the stock position on the donor frame? Thanks for the pictures, they are very helpful.

21. wow didnt know you had a build thread,hey what happened to the pics???
    this is sweet

22. Inferno38

Inferno38
    from canada

yeah would love to see the pics sounds killer!

23. xtremek

xtremek

24. LabRat

LabRat

Dates people ... Thread is from 06 - 07 ....

25. I won't put all the old build pics back in, but here are a couple finished pics. At least finished as it is for several years now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PM me if anybody wants specific build pics. Basic details: chopped 4 inches, 74 GM reg cab 1-ton longbed chassis, dropped spindles and air bags front, flipped rearend on stock leafs and notched frame rear; will bag the back someday. Custom flatbed is 10 ft long, rear fenders are 46 Ford big truck front fenders cut and rewelded. 350 SBC/T400 drivetrain. Driven to Bonneville for Speedweek last 6 years.

AHotRod likes this.
  26. AHotRod

AHotRod

What's it get for gas mileage?

27. Wow, old thread here coming back.

About 10-11 mpg doing 75, not exactly very aerodynamic! In town probably about 8 mpg, but never really checked it enough to worry about. Cruises great down the highway with A/C blowing cold, has one of the 60's under dash units that works great.

Still have the COE and still drive it around, but no longer a daily driver like it was for couple years 2007-2009 timeframe.