Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Prefect / Willys /Kadett Gasser Build.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mitchell Rish, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Micky welded in some threaded bungs and used the reverse box We had built. I bought up several sets of bearings etc from larrys vair shop. So we used what I had from there. We bought up several back years ago and finally got around to using them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
    els likes this.
  2. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Building headers today on the Willys. Gonna run the center two over the top and put the collector at a slight diagnal gonna exit about 1 and 1/2 inches below the fenders edge. Still need to dress welds and clean up. Yea I know a good welder isn't supposed to have to grind welds.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  3. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished one side. Now gotta match the other side. How funny is this. I tried them on the prefect also. Not only do they fit they look very good. Might trim the collector a little bit got to leave enough to paint strip and tune.

Attached Files:

4. Real nice headers, great job!

BradinNC, els and Legendlives like this.
  5. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Thanks. Took a lot of measurements and even made patterns out of card board along with a ton of pics. Would you believe the collector gave the most trouble. I am ticky about the plains and semetry matching. This is not my first set but to get the two deminsional/ diagnal right on the collector was tough. I wound up using a plum bob and marking on the floor.
    Custom header builders do not get paid what it's worth. But I like the fact that we do almost everything in house for us/ by us.
    I'll get back at it Saturday on the other side.

6. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Driver side work today. 2 tubes down and 2 more to go and the collector. Hopefully will finish in a day.

Attached Files:

els and Dog_Patch like this.
  7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice work. I know the time involved to do this fabrication, and to make all the pipes line up and look good is a job that takes a lot of patience.

els likes this.
  8. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today's work. Had to redo the 2 nd tube didn't match the line to suit me. Would have finished today, but due to 2nd tube I didn't. I did fit the jig over the down tubes so the collector install should be much easier. Remind me I said that. Lol

Attached Files:

els, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  9. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

One set of Willys headers completed.
    Yep they look equally good on the Prefect.
    Started second set for prefect.

Attached Files:

Atwater Mike, tomkelly88, els and 3 others like this.
  10. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Look great bud

els likes this.
  11. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Almost through with the second set. Been cold as of late. Probobly be next week before I get them finished. Will get pics later.

els likes this.
  12. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Today's work. I changed the exit angle of the collector buy about 3 degrees. Collector is shorter also.
    Now the other side.

Attached Files:

els and Dog_Patch like this.
  13. loudbang

loudbang

A thing of beauty. You put more work into your headers than some people put into their whole car LOL.

1947knuck and els like this.
  14. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Another great example of a true craftsman at work.
    Really nice and First Class work!!
    Best of luck.

Jimbo

els and loudbang like this.
  15. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Hope to get the other side buy Monday. No promises though. I did learn a little trick I'll pass on. I went from .030 wire to .023 wire. And wow. Almost no clean up. I spent a lot of time cleaning up welds on the first set not because they were that bad but due to the larger wire and the fact that I like my welds burned in deep and flat not sticking up. ( I ve built with tig also and that's never a problem. ) I just decided to use the Mig to speed up the process. That's all we used to use when we dirt tracked years ago because it usually didn't live long anyway. I am on little bit of a time scale so the Mig is quicker.
    But for the record it appears the smaller .023 is the way to go. I've also been guilty of cutting up Mig wire and tigging with it. Yea I know but a very skilled old man told me it would work. As usual it works very well.
    Later

Atwater Mike, els, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  16. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got two tubes done today. Will be a few days before I can finish everything up but I am pleased.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  17. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Finished them up today. Gonna try the new inside/ outside thermal header paint from Eastwood. Heard several people have had good results.

Attached Files:

18. loudbang

loudbang

Look real good. I don't think I have ever seen a set that "flows" like that. And I mean the look not how the exhaust flows.

1947knuck and els like this.
  19. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I built both sets (the prefect and the Willys) the way I thought they should flow.
    As luck would have it bringing the tubes in from the ends actually made all the bends very smooth. Then bringing the center two over the top allows more of a smooth transition and you can follow the 1st pair. It just about promises that they will flow the same.
    I did change the collector angle a few degrees on the prefect to look correct in the fender well.
    Now I have a set to build for the Opel Kaddet. As it turns out it may be big block powered. He just scored a wild power plant so we will see.
    Got to build the bottom of the rockers on the prefect so I can finish the floor pans and finish seat and mounts. Guess that's the plan. Will be a few weeks before I get another block of time.

els likes this.
  20. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Just let you guys know I am not just laying around on my well you know. Check out the new push / tow/ shop truck. One owner 1964GMC long bed. Needs a little tlc but ain't she neat. I think I am gonna two tone it like she came. Add some frankienstien push bumper and wala.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    els likes this.
  21. My younger brother is doing one just like that, it is a 65 but almost as nice as yours. BBC, 4 Speed, just a quick little cruiser. Great job on the headers I like the way they turned out.

els likes this.
  22. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Coatings for headers both internal and external are supposed to be in Saturday. Wish me luck but it's from Eastwood supposed to be good stuff

23. zeph4057k

zeph4057k

looks sweet ! im sure they will get along just fine !!!!!!!

els likes this.
  24. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Headers are done. I was very pleased with the internal and external coatings. They look just like they should even the white came out better than I had hoped for.
    Hey check out my shop wind chime. Lol

Attached Files:

25. loudbang

loudbang

Those are "work of art" headers. Came out awesome.

1947knuck, els and Baron like this.
  26. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

I finished the rocker panels under the doors . The curvature was not difficult ,but there were a lot of welds. Cleaned up nice though. I still have to weld them in. Little steps. Need to get on the Willys doors next. Got all the stuff to go manual window regulators. Just seems the right way instead of the easy universal electric. My patients may determine which?

Attached Files:

els, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  27. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Rocker panels are in. They turned out pretty good. Now time to get on the Willys doors.

Attached Files:

els likes this.
  28. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Window patterns for the Willys. Looks like I am going to be going electric Windows after all. I really hadn't planed to but other factors just about promises that it will be.

Attached Files:

29. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Scored a pair of fancy aluminum racing seats. Gonna cut the high kick up head rest off and take two inches off the inside of both seats weld the together and make a racing bench seat. Should also allow me run two sets of seat belts. Good to get back at it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    els likes this.
  30. Mitchell Rish

Mitchell Rish
    from Houston MS

Got them cut and welded ( at least on. The back side ) gonna cut the top down. Gonna put my head rest on the top bar. Plus they will look better with tops cut off. Thought it turned out good. Now I gotta get ride of the stickers.

Attached Files:

catdad49, els and loudbang like this.