Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Pre-War Midgets on the Boards...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Pre-War Midgets on the Boards...

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Dean Lowe likes this.
  2. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good stuff! Was Nuttley inside or outside? The Kingsbury Armory in New York was a board track inside the building. I'll post some photos tonight. Bob

3. Cool video. I would not have my history with hot rods if Dad had not built his first midget in 1937 and brought it to California to run with the "big boys" in 1939. To a guy in his 20's this was the place to be. He only went back to Nebraska to get my Mom, and bring her to hot rod "paradise". Midgets played a huge part in Lowe family history.

4. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

Think Carl Hungess (sp) wrote a book on Nutley...I know everyone is aware of California, but Patterson New Jersey had it's own "gasoline alley" for years...mostly midget based, and I think they are still having reunions at Hinchcliff, in Jersey. Lots of east coast midget guys did little else until TV took away the fans. They actually could race seven nights a week.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014

5. cuzncletus

cuzncletus

Think these guys were nuts? Check into board track racing motorcycles. For all intent and purposes, these were bicycles with Harley Davidson V-twins on fuel. No throttle, no brakes, just wide open running with a kill switch to shut down the spark to slow the spindly contraptions for the turns. There was even a mile board track in Daytona virtually where the Speedway sits today.

I know this is supposed to be a car site, but I'm guessing most here are like me; in love with anything old that had a motor and went fast.

6. tevintage

tevintage

Not the thirties. However I went to midget races in the Teaneck, NJ Armory in the early sixties. Very thrilling and noisey! T

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. vonpahrkur

vonpahrkur

8. chickenshift

chickenshift

It reminds me of a slot car track when they enter in and out of the turns!!

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

A gentleman I know here in KC raced midgets in the 40s and 50s at Fairyland Park on the old board track there.In fact,he still has his car.From what I understand,they also had Negro leagues baseball there AND some of the best concerts this side of Woodstock.....Now I'm definitely thinking that I was born in the wrong era. :(

10. floored

floored

I can never get enough of the board track history, it just freakin' amazes me!

Ron

11. autobilly

autobilly

[​IMG]
    "Big cars" on the boards in the '20's by Robert Williams. These guys died.

12. sled56

sled56

Having raced on veledromes as a teenager, trying to pilot a midget around one seems crazy, I think we have all become soft as these guys played for keeps, no roll cages, no 5 point harnesses, just brave men and fast race cars. Cool pics, thanks for sharing.

13. "The driver misses death by the thickness of tissue paper"......awesome!