Register now to get rid of these ads!

Powerglide leaks Fluid when stored

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Apr 15, 2009.

1. BJR

BJR

I am working on a customers 55 Vett. It has a powerglide transmission and when it is stored for a month or so the fluid drains out of the torque converter and spills out all over the floor. I know I have read about a fix for this but have searched and can't find it. Can anyone help? Thanks Brian

2. The powerglide in my altered used to do that. Drove me crazy until I found it was leaking out around the dipstick tube seal. Replaced the little o-ring type gasket where the dipstick fits into the 'glide housing and no more leak.
    Of course later the damn thing started leaking around the tailshaft seal!!! ARRRRGH!!!

3. LUX BLUE

LUX BLUE
    Alliance Vendor
    from AUSTIN,TX

You forgot about when it leaks from...
    The selector shaft seal (D'oH!) the speedo gear (DAMMIT!)
    The servo cover (Seriously God...Are You up there? Do You hate me, or the 'Glide?) and then, once all of that is sealed up, it will then begin leaking around the pan, or go back to the starting point.

I also like it when You leave a full transmission out, and the heat cycles of the day make it puke a little bit each day. then, when least expected, You look over and "Sherzam! Gonna need to shamwow up the 9 quarts of transmission blood off the flo!"

I feel Your pain.

and the easy way to keep it from leaking? start it every 48 hours. there are worse punishments.:D

4. coupster

coupster
    from Oscoda Mi

I am assuming you are refering to a cast iron glide. I had one in my 55 Nomad and tried to remedy that very problem for over 30 years. My final solution was to take it for a ride every Sunday. No more leak. Good luck.

5. Wesley

Wesley

A leak from a powerglide is not a flaw, it is a feature. When it quits leaking you know that you need to add fluid.

6. wvenfield

wvenfield

IMO it's not just the PG. Many old tranny's will leak from lack of use.

7. Nomadness

Nomadness

8. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

This is the phenomenon known as "burping". There have been several "fixes" tried by the tri-five restorer types. The best seems to be "one-way" valves placed in the cooler lines. But, like several others have said, drive it more often. Butch/56sedandelivery.

9. kustomkat

kustomkat

My dads 56 has done it for years. Never knew there was an actual fix for it... Have to try it.

10. striper

striper

Wow, I never knew this was a feature of the powerglide. Mine does it too and I always thought it was strange that it leaked when sitting for a long period.

I could understand if there was a bit of a leak after a drive but I would expect it to stop after all the oil drained down.

I feel good about mine leaking now and feel less inclined to try to fix it. I have a family!

Pete

11. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

Its just marking its territory.

12. UncleJoey

UncleJoey

My cast iron glide has always leaked in my 58 Belair. When it pisses me off I just look at the "completely oiled" underside of the car and smile, knowing that it won't rust under there!! (I'm waiting for a fix too!)

13. chopz56

chopz56

Man is this some funny shit here cause mine does the same thing,plus to boot it sometimes has a mind of it's own and shifts in and out of 1st and2nd but not at high speeds so dont worry!I just check fluid all the time for my own sanity!:D

14. kevron

kevron

try lucas stopslip it helps but start it up dayley as the oil in the converter drains back down into the box and thats a shitload of xtra oil got to go some were the floor sounds like a good place ps they are still tuff tranie kev

15. Clutch 2

Clutch 2
    from Maryland

The cast iron power glide did that in my '60 Impala. There is a very large "O" ring on the torque converter (the cover plate is removable). It gets cracks in it over time. When the car sets, ATF leaks out. As long as it runs it really isn't noticable.

16. hey that ain't a leak,it's just "marking territory".

I'm in the middle of repairing the leak in mine today.

1939fiat