Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical power steering pump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by earlyv8, Aug 4, 2014.

1. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Greetings

I have searched, but have not been able to find the answer I need.

I am considering a hydro-boost on my car without power steering. Space is limited so the conventional Saginaw pumps appear too large to fit in the space in front of the SBC engine.

Has anyone used the type II GM pumps and are they easily adaptable for lower power steering pressure compatible with the hydro-boost only? My guess is that the pump should be limited to about 900 lbs pressure.

Also, looking for plumbing information. Hopefully, using mostly hard line to avoid sagging hoses.

Thanks
    Jack

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You are going to have to have some flex between engine and chassis mount master assembly.
    I am sure you can valve most any pump.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

4. earlyv8

earlyv8
    from oklahoma

Thank you for the response.

Where can you get the shim kit? From auto parts stores or dealerships?

Jack

5. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Have you considered the electric power brake booster used on many GM cars in the '80s?
    I know of several off roaders who used those, quite successfully, specifically because they did not require engine vacuum and when their engine died on an incline, they still had the desired brake boost.

Ray

6. 34toddster

34toddster
    from Missouri

The small pump shown will work fine ,mine does. I'd install it w/o shimming the valve you may like it just like that..I have awesome brakes now.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Alan Grove Components, Mullens Steering Gears and Borgeson Universal company sell those flow shim kits to rectify pressure issues.

8. I'd be interested in getting some more info on the 80's ones. I have one in my garage, and don't know if I should try to use it on somebody's car.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've used the Type II pump to drive both Saginaw boxes, and late 80's T-Bird racks. Works well with either.

You will have to accommodate two return lines in you system, so be aware.