Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest POST or HARDTOP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Feb 17, 2017.

1. I have had posts and Hardtops of both manufacturers tri fives. I like both hardtops better.

I bought the 55 Chevy off a car lot in Charlotte. It was 1967 and I paid $35 and put wheels and brake drums on the front and drove it home.

The factory chopped them for you.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In our high school group from back in 62, there was a post 55 Chevy 2 door, post 56 Chevy 2 door, a 57 Chevy Bel Air, and a 58 Chevy Impala. So, it depended on what looked cool to the owner. In 62, our friend in Los Angeles had just purchased a very fast, black and white 56 2 door post Ford and wanted to sell it to me. Eventhough I had a 58 Impala at the time. The car was a racing 56 Ford with Moon Discs that supposedly drove at Bonneville, modified motor, floor shift, roll bar, lowered and it had the look of...I AM FAST. Today, I would buy that 56 Ford in an instant, but back then, no one wanted a Ford painted black on the lower panels and white on top...Including me.
    Jnaki
    On the drive home from Montebello, I wished I had more money so I could buy that racy looking 56 Ford 2 door post car. But, I had a 40 Ford Sedan Delivery sitting in the yard, a 49 VW sunroof that my brother gave me, and how could I afford another car? (It was fast and sounded so healthy...it was very tempting) Hey Dad, want to...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. MMM1693

MMM1693
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

HRP and Irant pretty much nailed it. I'm not fond of the 55 Chevy or Ford but the 56/57 Chevy has to have a post. The 56 Ford should be a hardtop while the 57 should be a post. Then again nothing is better than a 57 Olds 2dr hardtop! IMHO.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  4. phat rat

phat rat

my feelings 100%

upspirate, biggeorge and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  5. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I can generally just about tell a guys age by which one he likes best;) The guys that were there when 55s etc. were newer generally seem to like the hardtops best.

OahuEli, upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Converts first, then hardtops. Much classier looking!

HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  7. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I like both. While there are more leaks and wind noise with a hardtop, there's just something about opening the door with the window down and not having a window frame in your way. What did most of the custom guys do back in the day to a sedan? A lot of them turned sedans into hardtops, some with more success than others. I don't remember ever seeing a hardtop turned into a sedan.

Barn Find, upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  8. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

I'll take a '57 Pontiac Hardtop thank-you! IMG_0006.JPG
    KK

brigrat, henryj1951, Blues4U and 8 others like this.
  9. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Most impressive hardtop design of the time (to me) and Im for the most part a chevy guy.
    .......and they even look better with all the windows down.
    [​IMG]

brigrat, Barn Find and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  10. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

To me it depends on how it's put together. I saw some fuggly custom post cars on the recent big $ auctions. Fuggly street rodded ot style. Me, post should be more hi-po style, dog dish radio delete. Hard tops could prob go anyway I guesss. All about execution, cheers an thanks for reading

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  11. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Two seat roadster then Hardtop,an customs ,then I liked wagons,after that what ever ran

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  12. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

The 55 ford hardtop isn't getting any love in this thread. I'll admit , the 56 roof line is better, but the 55 can still be a sexy custom if done right. Maybe I'm just a little protective of my own car.
    image.jpeg

13. I would be the exception to that rule.

Absolutely no argument from me ,this is the cats pajamas. HRP

biggeorge and low budget like this.
  14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I'm a 2dr.sed. (post) type of guy, must me the drag racer in me. From 49/50 Olds coupes to 55/57 Chevy and big cars like 62/63 Pontiac Catalinas. The lightweight Fords and chrysler corp super stockers and OT 442's and GTO's.

Pat

i.rant and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. I'm a huge fan of '59-'60 GM vehicles, they all kinda share the windshield and roofline those years. Even the 4 doors look pretty slick as hardtops with all the windows down and miles of open space (those uppers were mostly glass anyways). Harley Earl designed the '59 Caddy to be so low that customers kept bumping their heads on the roof, they had to raise it several inches later. It adds to the rocket ship/jet fighter thing. So I would say I'm a hardtop. Older cars I dig the post, looks right on those cars.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  16. upspirate

upspirate

I think my fondness for hdtp's came from Dad never could afford anything other than sedans.
    My brother and his friends all had hdtps.
    My first cars were 61 Fairlane 2dr sedan (free), 65 Buick Special 2dr sedan (inherited), 65 Skylark conv (first real car that I bought).
    Through the years I had sport model O/T cars as well as '51 Bel-Air 2dr hdtp,'56 Bel-Air 2dr hdtp, 64 Nova SS hdtp

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Hard tops for cruisers, posts for racing.

upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

barryvanhook, belair, clunker and 7 others like this.
  19. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

When I was in high school and earlier years...if it wasn't a hardtop, it wasn't cool.. period.
    Now in later years (73) now, I prefer the look of a two door post... :)
    Although both still have the cool factor, the post just looks a bit more Mean, or Tough !!
    Good post..

upspirate and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. Post, no question about it.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. When you get to the 60's I agree. HRP

clunker, falcongeorge and Moriarity like this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

DSCF6899.JPG My earliest automobile memory is driving out of the Buick dealership in a Norwalk, Ct. in Dad's new 1953 Buick two door Hardtop, I wasn't 2 1/2 years old yet. That was replaced with a new 1961 Ford 4 door Hardtop. Put me in the Hardtop Club. Bob

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

Hardtops any day. If I want to be practical, I'll drive my Tundra.

HOTRODPRIMER and olscrounger like this.
  24. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

55 BelAir hardtop for me-have had mine 40 years. Have played with 20+ trifives over the years but always kept this one. Was our main driver for many years. It is in my album along with my 57 Fuely BelAir hardtop

Attached Files:

Moriarity and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

I had No idea so many people liked sedans. I've always loved hardtops. I assumed that was universal. This is good news, I guess. There's something for everyone. Now, who will stand up and admit they love a hatchback?

26. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Duh, this was supposed to be about tri fives.... I have one of each. Still favor hardtops though[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. No off topic discussion here. HRP

Moriarity likes this.
  28. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Post are for keeping.
    Hardtops are for selling.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. 54vicky

54vicky

the title is hardtop not hardup=hatch

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  30. I'm thinking one of each for the stable :D
    55 chevy guy for life been around one since I was a little kid.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.