Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Points or Duraspark

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bartikus, Mar 27, 2015.

1. bartikus

bartikus

I have been working on my falcon wagon for a while now and I don't know what direction to go with the ignition system. Figured I would see what guys on the hamb had to say about it. I transplanted a 250 cid out of a 1977 maverick into the car. So I have all the wiring and ignition box to make the duraspark work. But I also have a points style distributor I could throw into the engine just to help simplify things. What way would you guys go on this because I keep going back and forth? I know that the duraspark has a hotter spark and is more reliable, very little to no maintenance. But I've always thought cars with points were really cool.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. '51 Norm

'51 Norm
    from colorado

I converted over to duraspark because I don't like fussing with points. Thing is duraspark is now obsolete too.

3. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Duraspark! [if it has the mechanical advance]

You can also use a duraspark dizzy to trigger a GM HEI module that is hidden remotely

4. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

Pertronix in your points style distributor. Looks stock on the outside but you have modern electronics under the cap.

SPark

5. bartikus

bartikus

Yeah I've been leaning in the direction of the duraspark set up

6. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Stop at your local junkyard and get a Ford thick film ignition module with matching coil. It will work with points or electronic ( I would use electronic if I had a choice).

Most had the module built into the distributor and they have a habit of overheating and failing. Better is the remote module in a finned aluminum heat sink next to the radiator. Those are found on certain models like Aerostar vans, Impulse, Thunderbird and Cougar.

Get the plug and as much of the wiring as you can.

7. I'm not sure about the six-cylinder distributors, but I know on the V8 versions you can remove the 'adaptor' for the large cap and use the old style cap. These then look identical to a points dizzy, just with a couple extra wires coming out of it....

need louvers ? likes this.
  8. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

I'll vote for neither. There are several companies that make an electronic distributor in a factory appearing cap, which both works well and looks good. If looks are less of a concern to you and you keep the hood shut like I do, a GM style HEI is hard to beat for both simplicity and reliability. One power wire and you're done, and an easy tach wiring provision if you're so inclined. I had one in my 63 Fairlane with a 289 and I drove the balls off that car, powerful start and ignition even in the most frigid temperatures.

9. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

That's what I have for my SBF road-race engine!

An old Mallory HEI for a SBF fitted with a MSD high performance module that has a built in limiter.
    1 wire to power
    1 wire to the tach
    1 wire to set the RPM limit [a button to ground]

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Duraspark II for cheap. DUI HEI for maximum spark power.

11. vint

vint

I use Duraspark on my F-100 and it is a huge improvement over the points, totally worth using, especially if you already have the stuff

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

More important, if you points distributor is a pre '68 type for the Falcon six, destroy the damned thing so no one else can drop it into their engine in the future! The Ford load-o-Crappic distributor of '60-'67 was completely vacuum controlled via a "spark control valve" in the carb that was matched to the distributor. Unless the car is 100% original and has it's original carb and distributor matched together, there is a virtual 100% possibility it has no advance what so ever! That makes stuff like overheating and top speeds of 20mph so fun to tune away.... Then you put the Duraspark in it, fiddle with the advance to quicken it a bit, and it feels like you just added 30h.p.... 'Cause you have!

Remember, this has nothing to do with the spark, and how it is triggered, but everything to do with the mechanics of when that spark is delivered.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This man speaks the truth.

Listen to him.

14. bartikus

bartikus

OK you convinced me. It really didn't take much. I didn't know that about the pre 68 dizzys. Never really messed with them. I'm not going for a stock look under the hood so the duraspark set up I have should work just fine.

15. bartikus

bartikus

I've done the conversion with the duraspark before so I'm not that concerned about performing it.

16. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Points are a pain in the ass, and require too much work later, dwell changes as the rubbing block wears, go duraspark

17. T.L.

T.L.
    from Colorado

Pertronix...

18. The Duraspark is a reliable ignition with OEM parts; the main problem with them seems to be aftermarket modules. A club member recently replaced his 302 in his '55 Ford and bought a new module 'just because'. After having two new ones fail out of the box (from NAPA no less), he reinstalled the grungy OEM one....

The Duraspark dizzy works well with a MSD box too (simpler hook-up), so that's my choice.

need louvers ? likes this.
  19. bartikus

bartikus

yeah i have all the parts to do the conversion on my car so that is the way i'm going to go.