Register now to get rid of these ads!

Plymouth Flathead Valve Adjustment

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TexasHardcore, Oct 11, 2009.

1. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

Anyone know how to adjust the valves cold? We're getting ready to toss in this 218 Flathead 6 into a friends car and I want to get the valves adjusted or close to spec before the motor goes in the car. All of the procedures I have found say to adjust the valves with a warm motor. Exhaust valves should be .010" and Intake at .008". Should I run them a bit loose...say .015" for now until the motor gets hooked back up and we can fire it off, get it warm, and then adjust them to the proper clearances?

2. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Factory says .010 for itake and .013 for exhaust.

.012 is a good general cold setting for all valves. One thing to check is to make sure the lifter contact face is square. Some folks have reported that they will dish with extended miles, if so your feeler will be reading the ridge around the lifter, and not the depression where the valve sits.

a bit loose is better than to tight.

If its going in a stock bodied car, doing the adjustment with the manifolds in place can be a frustrating activity. Many of the cars had a panel on the inner fender that will come out allowing yo access through the wheel well.

Here is more than yo probably eed to know

http://www430.pair.com/p15d24/mopar_forum/showthread.php?t=14963&highlight=valve+adjustment

3. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

thats what I figured, thanks for the reply...and I'll check the face of the lifters.