Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Please look at this wishbone repair.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by albertaboy, Sep 20, 2016.

1. albertaboy

albertaboy

This is from my 1940 Ford Pick up. The other side is welded in the same spot. Very amateur welds by today's standard. The truck hasn't been used since the late 60's and sat in a farm yard ever since. I planned to split the bones for transmission clearance.
    Would you use this?? What would have been the cause of this repair. I noticed the front cross member on this frame was bolted in place instead of riveted. Is that additional evidence of a front end collision? Vern note 4 Sept 20 2016 001.jpg

2. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

there are too many good parts out there to use junk. don't use it.

albertaboy and saltflats like this.
  3. I would just find some good ones and let the KB guys fight over those.

1oldtimer, albertaboy and saltflats like this.
  4. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I "wish" I had never seen that.
    "Is that additional evidence of a front end collision?" If not, it may cause one...

5. That wishbone is junk,a replacement should be easy to find. HRP

6. albertaboy

albertaboy

Enough said. My thoughts as well, just wanted to make sure. Cheers.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd say that they either repaired bent bones by cutting them in two and welding on the back half or shortened the original ones. Some crude work that looks about what the blacksmith that my grandfather hauled broken farm equipment pieces to to have welded.

albertaboy likes this.
  8. mike bowling

mike bowling

Wall hanger.
    (That's the kind of shit I think about on the Interstate when I'm going 65 mph.)

albertaboy likes this.
  9. The bolted-in crossmember may just mean that somebody replaced a cracked crossmember. Old Ford crossmembers were famous for developing cracks in the center where the spring is attached. If all the pieces are intact, it would be better to weld the cracks and repair the crossmember in place. Less work than busting out all the rivets that hold the crossmember in place. For some reason, front crossmembers crack more than rears (probably because the front hits the potholes first and takes the worst of it). Worn-out spring shackles contribute to the cracking of crossmembers. Since the deed is done and all you have to work with is a bolted-in replacement, check the front crossmember that is there for cracks and repair as needed, and check the bolts to make sure they are grade 8 and tight. Who knows what the story is on that welded wishbone or what the weld penetration is. I would replace the wishbone, as there are still a lot of good ones floating around.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    albertaboy likes this.
  10. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

I agree replace those bones.

albertaboy likes this.
  11. What we call a "farm fix".

albertaboy likes this.
  12. I would not use them in their current form, however they are not junk and can be repaired.
    I would sleeve and plug the bad side.
    Just as one would replace a tube in a rollcage.

[​IMG]
    Photo from-
    AZ Rock Crawer

13. albertaboy

albertaboy

That's a possibility. I made a call and found two to choose from. I'll likely go with a replacement.

It'll make a wall hanger conversation piece for now.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

14. albertaboy

albertaboy

I'd agree with this. The cross member in this frame- turns out it's the style used for the 6 cyl from 1941 on. 20160922_184150.jpg I pulled it from the frame but I doubt I'll use it given it'll make the truck sit higher. I've a frame from 1936 I plan to use.

15. Those can be salvaged as Robert J. suggests...not much different than re-positioning bones at the perch end. Don't be so quick to throw out old Ford parts with excellent steel in them.

16. 117harv

117harv

40ragtopdown and albertaboy like this.
  17. Pete

Pete

Iv seen many well established fabricators modify perfectly good bones to suite thair needs. I've seen them shortened and sleeved, pie cut and bent, heated and bent or completely fabricated from sheet stock. Booger welded repairs were very common and fixable but as most have said....there's plenty of good replacement pieces out there.

46international and albertaboy like this.
  18. albertaboy

albertaboy

Great link. Thank you.

117harv likes this.
  19. this is what I was thinking, many bones have been cut and rewelded, just do a better job

albertaboy likes this.