Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please don't buy this Rat Fink Sticker!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonny Depalma, Nov 15, 2010.

1. 28 jalopy

28 jalopy
    from arizona

Northern AZ. is watching out and boycotting for you! My dad and Shakey Ben (pin stripers) were friends of Roth and my dad and I are on your side!

2. swimeasy

swimeasy

This is going to be a huge problem in the future because some of the "connected" generation have no problem with taking art, music, or whatever and just flat out steeling it! I think that you are doing the HAMB a great favor by making us aware of the fact that you have been riped off! Good luck in catching this jerk and thanks for the art!

3. cooltoys1

cooltoys1
    from Buffalo NY

Easy 39 blow, im was just askin. I didnt know it was signed.
    Cool your jets, speedracer.....damn

4. Fourdy

Fourdy

I've often wondered if the artists at the different car shows I frequent that airbrush Rat Fink T-shirts is an infringement on the rights of the Rat Fink name, org, etc?

Just curious.

Fourdy

5. The Berne Convention asserts that authors of creative material become the copyright holder of said material upon initial formation of the work. Copyright is automatic and does not require that the artist register the work or mark it with copyright notation. It is the artist's property at the time of tangible creation. Registering the copyright does have benefits, including, but not limited to Public Record and Proof of ownership. In order to file a copyright infringement lawsuit, it must be registered, but this can be done at any time prior to the suit. Additionally, if the copyright is registered before an infringement, the owner of the copyright can claim certain alternate damages plus attorney's fees.
    Copyright's last for not less than 50 years past the creators (or owners) death.

6. movingviolation

movingviolation

No worries Sonny!

Thieves are truly bottom feeders......

7. roadworthy'49

roadworthy'49

I'll keep an eye out

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

I will not buy any and I will keep an eye out in southern AZ

9. cooltoys1

cooltoys1
    from Buffalo NY

Thanks Hotroddon, for that very concise and intelligent reply. Now i understand. Mucho thanks

10. Jon SSS

Jon SSS

Them Bastards! Check in upstate New York for more clues. Hint: Paul Jr. of OCC (or whatever) is good at ripping off people's designs. Could be him!?

11. pastlane

pastlane

Was a guy in Florida with no morals at all. He would color copy (now digital print) and laminate into a sticker any image he could get his hands on & wholesale them out to anyone & everyone. I know Sherry from Clay Smith, Chico from Moon & others including myself were after the guy for some time but bottom feeders are good at hiding.

12. chopdtop

chopdtop

Now why can't these thiefs have the luck that I have?

Within 5 minutes of me trying to sell something like this, stolen image, I'd have the SWAT team busting down my door!

Several years back I was sellings shirts on Ebay, that I got from another HAMBer, that were officially licensed and I had them removed from Ebay by the license holder. After a few phone calls Ebay was contacted by the license holder and the shirts were relisted for me.

13. drchopper

drchopper

You are not lying about the Teutels "borrowing" ideas , I built this bike about 12 years ago and if you notice the primary drive belt gaurd , it looks kind of like "exactly like" what Paul Jr built his whole career on , this bike was featured in the Horse Backstreet choppers and Biker along with many photos in all of the bike publications at the time , I just would like a lil thank you from those untalented thieves !!
    [​IMG]

I hope you find the pricks that stole your killer artwork and they get their come uppance !!!

14. milner3268

milner3268
    from buffalo NY

If i see this punk around here Ill tie him to the bumper and DRAG HIM !!!!!

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

I'm thinking "blanket party"................catch the scum and let's all join in.

Frank

16. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Some ideas are universal. If I put a flame job on at a 32' ford am I infringing on someone creative license? http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241476.html

But this is a question of distribution. Copying an image identical to its creation and distributing it to masses. Not good and good luck.

17. Troyz

Troyz

do you want us to post when we see them at a show? mooneyes x-mas party will be next for me and i'll keep an eye out. great tribute piece, sad that it got ripped off. integrity seems to be a fading trait.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Signed or not, doesn't matter, but if the artist is nice enough to share for viewing and maybe even personal saving, but to turn around and sell it is stealing pure and simple. I applaud all the artists that share their work here for us. I hate to see it stop because people get ripped off.

19. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

20. zmcmil2121

zmcmil2121

Yeah, I know of only one swap meet, but I will tell every vendor that they are selling stolen merchandise. Sorry again, good luck taking that ass out!

Plus, it is pretty cool that you knew ed "big daddy" roth!

21. 39 tow

39 tow
    from Utah

Alright I may have been a little heated, but damn I get sick of my personal art getting taken and used without my consent.
    There are a lot of artist losing a ton of money (some older ones even a living) because of the younger generation thinking they have a right to use everything they see.
    It sickens me to see; we can be better then this.

P.S. I will keep a look out for the stickers here, although our season is about over now with the damn cold coming in, not very many shows.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  22. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

Catch em , Tie a rope to em and draaaaag em ! YEA.

23. tunram2quad

tunram2quad

sorry for the disrespect.haven't seen any yet,but i'll be watchin

24. big bad john

big bad john

.....I'll keep a eye out for this crook..........I hate it when people steal....

25. seventhirteen

seventhirteen
    from dago, ca

i own a silkscreening shop and turn down this kind of stuff all the time. I hope this works out for you, I do wonder how the period inbetween your agreement with Ed in 1984 and the changes in ownership of ratfink will effect you. Typically change of ownership would void your licensing unless it is renewed, and i'd be shocked to hear that Mooneyes also gave you the go ahead to use the image when they owned it. Hopefully the legal mumbo jumbo doesn't get in the way of right and wrong....

26. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Legal mumbo jumbo almost always gets in the way of right and wrong.

27. skiviskaves

skiviskaves

awesome artwork! sorry to hear you're getting ripped off

28. PASTDUEBILL

PASTDUEBILL

Just an observation, mind you, and I know no profit is being made, but about 20% of the people who commented on this thread have a copyrighted image in their avitar.

Sorry your work was stolen.

29. onedge

onedge

will do. (good point pastduebill on the avitars)

30. SteadyT

SteadyT

What a bastard. Is it safe to assume YOU have proper licensing on the image?

You don't need this bum finding a legal loop-hole...