Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please don't buy this Rat Fink Sticker!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sonny Depalma, Nov 15, 2010.

1. It really blows that he ripped you off but the one thing he can't take from you Sonny is your immense talent...it'll catch up with him...I own a screenprinting shop and every week I have to turn away jobs brought in by people who are trying to print bootleg images of other people's artwork...they think I am a jerk when I won't print "their stuff" for them...unfortunately there is always some guy who is willing to make a quick and unscrupulous buck who will print them up for them...good luck and I hope this guy gets caught

2. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

I'll keep my eyes open here in Tucson! Hate f-in thieves!

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

I love that image of yours. It's always been one of my favorites after BDR passed away.

There's nothing that people won't steal. I've had people requesting a CD of images that I've posted on the HAMB, but in RAW Hi-REZ "because I like to collect them". Right......:mad::rolleyes:
    I've also had my vintage drag photos that I took in the 60's show up on Ebay. Even vintage drag movie footage of mine ended up on DVDs when I have told the producers that I would not allow the use of my footage because I had promised my footage (for free) to the producer of the DVDs "Lions, the Greatest Drag Strip". Even when I said "no", they used it anyways.
    I have never charged a dime for any of my old drag photos or movie footage, but all I ask is you get my permission first. I guess that is too much to ask....
    Ethics is the one value that I miss the most from the days of my youth in the 1950's and 1960's. :mad:

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. that sucks, that is a really cool piece of artwork, Ive had a few inventions that I never pursued and someone else came up with.. that sure stings.. i can only imagine how I would feel if someone stole em..

5. Zombie Hot Rod

Zombie Hot Rod
    from New York

I can feel your pain. I work hard on making Hot Rod Documentaries and I would lose it completely if I found someone bootlegging my stuff and would most likely land myself in jail.

So, if you like my movies and see someone bootlegging them, please get to them before I do. I can't make movies from inside a jail cell.

Seriously, let us know if there's anything we can do to help, this sort of shit really angers me.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. fender lizard

fender lizard
    from mcallen tx

Sucks to hear, I live right off the border deep south and people around here think everything is fair game! No morals, respect, nothing! Hope you catch the jerkoff

7. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Sonny Depalma: Some thoughtless loser counterfeiting your work and selling for profit is criminal. Once our work enters the interweb "cloud" people think it's all free. An eyeopener for me this year was the stuff I put on the HAMB FAS ends up on pages and pages of free wallpaper sites who never ask permission. I've also been warned about the artist who takes your core idea and recreates it in his own style. What to do?

Hopefully the HAMB and your lazy-ass lawyer can help put pressure on the counterfeiter to stop. For the wallpaper thieves, we artists should only post low resolution images - small files at 72dpi - and put on a clear, visable watermark to at least get some free publicity from all this "reposting." I sign my name on each piece fairly large to also identify it as mine. Protecting against other artists is tricky because we all draw from the same car cultural references so I myself could be accused of "stealing" from time to time when I don't give credit to the original source. But I've been told to keep some designs off my own website (and even the HAMB) and only show it live for sale in a gallery or at an event if it's a t-shirt/poster design I intend to offer for sale.

On one hand I want my name and work out there to establish my own style and on the other hand I don't want it to fall into the wrong hands. It ain't easy bein' the artist.

Losing a few bucks by the counterfeiter at small shows cannot be stopped. But the counterfeiter's real sales opportunity is the larger shows which many of us attend. Let's stop this lowlife.

8. Truckedup

Truckedup

I see a few HAMB member's avatars are what appears to me to be artwork taken from product logos.On the first page of this thread is what appears to be the Thush Muffler woodpecker.It's flipped around but it is what it is...
    If you change one thing does it become your "artwork"?

9. CURIOUS RASH

CURIOUS RASH
    Classified's Moderator

Well, no.

I know you probably didn't mean me in particular but,

Admittedly, my avatar is not my art work.

I never said it was and I never tried to turn a buck off of it.

I should also point out in my previous post I roughly put my wife and my dog in the same category....

Unintentional. ;-)

10. cleatus

cleatus
    from Sacramento

The difference is that no one is trying to sell their avatars to make money off the original artist's work.

11. This suck`s Period. Pete.

12. Truckedup

Truckedup

Cletus says;
    Yes,but if you had an original something and I used it like it was mine,you would be fine with that? Or would it be free advertising???

13. vintage tin

vintage tin

That does suck. Nothing is sacred to a thief. I will watch for this at the shows I attend.

14. kopperkart

kopperkart
    from Wisconsin

One of the Friday Art Show regulars had his artwork slightly altered and was being sold on eBay also. A database of counterfeit/stolen art being sold would be useful in a crackdown on these leaches.

15. gsp392

gsp392

I'll keep my eyes pealed. I've got a RatFink toy still sealed in the package autographed by Ed Roth that one of my dads freinds gave to me. One of my most prized possessions

16. dirtydixon

dirtydixon

Stealing a piece like that is disrespectful on many levels.

17. smarg

smarg

Someone needs their teeth kicked in.

Hope they catch the guy.

18. Rich Rogers

Rich Rogers

19. Buick59

Buick59
    from in a house

Sad to say this, as wonderful as the Friday art show is and as renowned as its become. It has also drawn out the thieves. Like many artists, I have found my photography on other sites that I never have posted to.

It's a double edged sword the internet. We can share cool stuff with each other, but have to worry who else might be looking at the cool stuff with hungry eyes.

20. Chuck Most

Chuck Most
    from Saskatoon

Not only will I not buy it, I'll make a note of who I see selling them.

21. Sonny, is this piece reproduced legally anywhere? It's a really nice salute to Ed Roth.

My wife and I sell stickers. If I am approached to buy these, I will contact you, ASAP.

22. glenn33

glenn33
    from Browns, IL

You got it man....

23. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

okie dokie from stuckin ,kansas .
    permission to kill sir ?
    I AIN'T GOING TO KILL NOBODY , JUST PUT THE ASSHOLE IN THE HOSPITAL FOR 9 MONTHS.

24. cooltoys1

cooltoys1
    from Buffalo NY

All due respect, but how do you figure its yours when you post it on a site for all to view and take, and its not copywritten?

25. cheveey57

cheveey57

That is awesome & I would love one, Can you tell me how I can get one from you?
    Thanks Pete Staab

26. crotex

crotex
    BANNED
    from cuero, tx

27. edweird

edweird

i will honor your request.

28. purdyyj

purdyyj

Ed Roth was a hottroding hero to me and to hear that a painting that was made out of respect and as a tribute to him was stolen to make money by some Fawcking bum that dosn't care one bit piss me off to no end!! I'll watch for them and spread the word not to buy them.

29. 39 tow

39 tow
    from Utah

You've gotta be Fawking kidding me here? I am reading this right? As soon as it left his hands it is personal owned property of his. His signature is on the bottom and clearly marked, any altercations i.e. removing the sky and his name does NOT make it right.
    It makes it Illegal. it is the intellectual property of the artist. PERIOD
    Taking from a website where he was clearly sharing his work, I don't care how you look at it, that spells THIEF!!!