Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Pinstripe on painted flames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim636, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Jim636

Jim636
    from Wyandotte

Hello everyone......so I'm thinking about painting some flames on my Fleetline but I don't want to spend the money to have someone pinstripe them. So I was thinking of doing this one of to ways. First way paint the flames then go back and tape off leaving a 1/8 " line around the flames and air brush the 1/8" showing which would be the pinstripe ,second way spray the whole flame in the outline/ pinstripe color then mask off the final flame color inside that.......thoughts,comments.

2. I would wait and save up the money to have it striped. You'll be happy you did. The hand painted pin stripes make the flames pop, I don't think there is any substitute for them that looks good. JMO.

3. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Second option.
    Spray the edges of your masked flames in your chosen pinstripe color then 1/8" tape the edges again and spray chosen flame color.
    Voila.

4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I did my own, but I'm not worth a shit at it. My advise is to have a real striper handle it for you, but if you try to do it your self, drink two and only two beers first...

[​IMG]

Sorry for the shitty pic, but it is dark out...

Good luck, -Abone.

5. WillyKJr

WillyKJr
    from Blackstone

X2 if hand stripe coin isn't in the budget.

6. I just did these tanks then had my buddy Paul stripe them and you can see how it pops afterward !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. If you need to do your own pinstripe, Mashed has the best solution. I would pay to have it striped and save taking the chance of tape pulling up paint.

8. 1pickup

1pickup

when I did my '39 (30 years ago) I double taped the edge of the flames. yes, used pinstripe tape on the inside & outside of the flame edge & then used a Buegeler(sp?) striper to paint, & then removed tape. of course, I had more patience then. and now I would just call my buddy Johnny B. Good to lay some lines.

9. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Two pieces of advice . 1. You get what you pay for . 2. It always costs more to fix someone else's mistakes . Good luck .

10. I would vote to have a profesional hand stripe the edges;but then that is what I do for a living. The time involved in masking off the job(twice);plus the cost of the extra paint plus the chance that it is going to either bleed through at some point(usually on a radius)or pull up the base color or stripe or both;it is likely cheaper in the long run to hand stripe it. JMHO.

11. Muttley

Muttley

If you don't do it right you will regret it. Regret is much more expensive than a decent stripe job.

12. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

If you can spray paint - then do your own pin stripping - no beer - scotch and water.

13. JMPO,,,do it right or don't do it at all,,I have seen more than my share of cars & trucks with poor flame paint job attempts that just ruined the car they were on. HRP

14. alchemy

alchemy

Over 30 years ago Dad had candy flames painted on his '33's fenders. They layed a light coat of candy rootbeer down over the flaked base, then taped off the flame "outline" with 1/8" tape. They sprayed a few more coats of rootbeer on the middle of the flames, then papered over the whole flame pattern. They sprayed the brown metallic over the remainder of the fender, then peeled off all the tape and paper. Last they cleared the whole thing and color sanded.

15. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

I keep reading posts about "I can't afford to have my flames, scallops, splash, etc. striped, it's so expensive"...
    Last time I was at Billetproof (Antioch, CA) there was a striper doing his thing on the interior of something, can't recall. I talked with him a little, he worked for a half hour or so, some on the nose, deck, and door handles...
    He charged the guy $35, nice job.

I'm not 'current' on stripers' prices, (not that there's a union scale...or IS there, in this state of economic dissertation?) LOL

16. Flame it then save your pennies and get it stripped ( sp?). The flames don't have to be stripped immediately and they look much better with proper pin stripes.

17. When i did my flames, or rather hepled my painter buddy do them, i payed him to stripe them. After the flames were done, i liked em so much wihout the striping, that we decided to run them, as is, untill i got bored with the look, and then stripe them. Two years later, and i still like em without the striping. We did stripe my driveshaft, which i flamed, and my buddy used white striping on. I get mates rates, but i cant imagine striping to be stupid expensive.

18. drtybiker

drtybiker
    from florida

Get a stripe brush and paint, practice till you think you got it, then go for it, If you can lay down good flames, then you can stripe them , the feeling when you do it yourself is second to none. I have confidence in you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!