Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Pictures of a Model A race car I found in barn today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twenty8tudor, Aug 18, 2014.

1. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

*******first off i will start by saying the owner of the property said it is NOT for sale***

anyway.....i work for a local telephone company and was at an old farm house fixing a ladys phone...i had walked back and forth to my van i dont know how many times and had walked right past the car and didnt see it.

I fixed the ladys phone and was putting my tool belt in my van and happened to look in the shed(like i always do before i leave somewhere) and i seen the roof and the visor sticking above the panels..

Sure enough it was a 28-29 model a that had been a old local dirt car.... i walked back to ask the lady to be allowed to take pictures of it ...knocked on the door and when she came out i said " just have a quick question about the model A in your barn"

I no more then said barn and she started laughing and said i can assure you its not for sale... I laughed and said thats ok i just want to take some pictures of it. She said that was more then fine and there was always people stopping and asking to buy it... we talked and i know who the actual owner of the car is and i know he does not part with anything..... i dont believe he would sell a 1 dollar bill for 10 dollars.

she said "he is going to fix that up when he retires here soon" and it has been park in this spot since about the early to mid 70's but anyway here are the pics that i took with my phone... asked if i could come back and take some pictures with my normal camera sometime and she said that was alright to but was confused why i wanted to take pictures of an old car that was falling to pieces.. haha

IMG_3498.JPG IMG_3493.JPG IMG_3492.JPG IMG_3491.JPG IMG_3489.JPG

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

IMG_3495.JPG IMG_3496.JPG IMG_3497.JPG

IMG_3499.JPG IMG_3500.JPG IMG_3501.JPG

kadillackid, Tim, quick85 and 3 others like this.
  2. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

DAMN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that's nice

3. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Big block Chrysler. Someone had their head screwed on straight.

loudbang likes this.
  4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

5. Low Black Special

Low Black Special
    from SE Iowa

Whoa, that's cool!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool - when you go back to take more pics be sure to give the lady a brite colored piece of paper with your name, etc to contact you if ever it does go up For Sale. also, leave one inside of car too.

Eric H likes this.
  7. slowmotion

slowmotion

I'm real familiar with Coultrap's Speed Shop. Can't say I ever seen that car in this area though. Looks more drag than dirt to me. If that say's Troyer (?)on the back, I'd guess Dover, New Philly, Sugarcreek area. Second thought with Midvale in that area, it could certainly have been an asphalt oval car of the day. Very cool.

8. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

Thanks for all the replys and yes a cool piece... i have done some aluminum welding for a guy that knows the owner really well... i might have him work on him a bit and see if maybe he will come off of it... it would be a lot of work to bring it back to a road car... with all the stuff that has been cut on and cut out of it.

my guess would be a little bit of both maybe dirt and drag though out its life..

im sure it raced up around tappan lake due to the coal traps sticker and she said it mostly raced at the muskingum county dirt track which is close to zanesville. the car is about an hour or so from the dover/sugarcreek area...

dover is where our local office for work is at..

9. The37Kid

The37Kid

It is what is, but what is it? Sure it is a 28-29 cowl, but the doors are odd and the quarter window area is strange. I full side shot would be nice to see. Bob

10. Wouldn't sell a dollar for ten dollars......that is priceless! Cool car, thanks for sharing.

twenty8tudor likes this.
  11. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

yeah i thought the same thing when i was behind it thought maybe it was some weird fiberglass back half or something but there is a bubble of rust a little bit below where the quarter windows would be...and i knocked on the rear quaters and across where the trunk should be and you could tell where they had fastened and mudded the trunk together... from a quick look in the dark it looked like the whole floor was gone and the trunk pan so it almost seemed as if the body was fastened to the frame and roll cage....

it would be nice to dig it up and out to get it outside the barn to get more light on it and better pictures..im going to take a good flashlight with be next time i go back for better pictures

12. Wonder what kind of critters are living in the engine.....

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

that paint job and decals screams late 60's, early 70's

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Mom's.....gotta love em.....

15. Thats very cool.

16. Andamo

Andamo

Is everyone in agreement that it's a Model A and not a Mopar ?

17. Most likely will sit there and rot into oblivian, damn!

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Famous last words. It will never happen. Hopefully it will remain undercover and be preserved for someone to do it justice at some stage in the future.!

19. slowmotion

slowmotion

After a closer look, & a couple of cups of coffee, I think drag/street was that car's last hurrah. Headlights, taillights, plexi sunroof, etc. Not to say it may have done some dirt time in an earlier life. Still way cool. If that says Ross(?) on the back, there were some drag racers of that name around the Flushing/St.C area.

20. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

21. Amazing! I can never find cool s*** like this:(

22. Awesome find !!!

Cool shit isn't for everyone !
    And I gotta ask, how many properties do you WALK onto?

Telephone and electrical lineman walk onto a lot. As do Cable installers, meter readers, mail men & parcel delivery

23. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Awesome find. I hope it gets rescued before the shed collapses on it.

24. redo32

redo32

Interesting what racers did to get a car on the track, but a backup light? The doors might measure out to be 2 dr sedan with the window frame cut off. Cut into the quarters for the extra length and filled what was left of the quarter window. Don't know about the door handles. Windshield frame appears to be roadster cut down. Any thing to fill the hole. '70's ingenuity at work.

25. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

haha yes my last three jobs make it kind of easy to find stuff...

first job.....outside sales for napa auto parts... netted a lot of old drag cameros,firebirds, and mustangs in old small garages

second job...cable repair main for adelphia/time warner cable... found a 72 pantera all orig from cali and a very solid car, a 1969 rs camero convertable that had sat in the basment since about 74ish, a 53 buick 4 door with 16,000 orig miles on it owned by a 91 year old lady, and a guy that had a stash of model As a roadster, two coupes, a four door sedan, and a two door sedan.

current job... phone repair... found this car, some chargers sitting in the weeds, a guy who collected tri 5 chevys, and today i just found a mid 70s mustang fastback and a probably 1970 mustang convertible in the same building. im sure there are a few im forgetting also

and though out all the jobs i try to pick up old antiques while im there.... but to answer the questions you can figure about 6-10 properties a day with all three jobs and cover about anwhere from 60-150 miles a day mostly on back roads. :)

26. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

i would say it had some strip time under its belt cause there was a one slick that was on a wheel laying in the corner behind it...... i dont know who choose the style of lettering but it sure hard to read

27. 296ardun

296ardun

I'm guessing the same thing, not a lot of dirt track cars got chopped because it cut down vision needed for roundy tracks, but for drag racing you only needed to look straight ahead...

28. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

i was kind wondering if thats why the bottom of the door window openings were cut down flat... to be able to see out the sides..... ill give it a few weeks and go back to take better pics... she wasnt sure if she had any pictures of it back when it was running.... i hope she can find a few.... that might answer some of the questions

29. 48stude

48stude

I spent a few dollars at Tom Coultraps Speedshop back in the mid seventies:rolleyes:. Bill

twenty8tudor likes this.
  30. twenty8tudor

twenty8tudor
    from Ohio

my dad used to flat track motorcycles and had a few cars and he always talked about.... unfortunately in the mid 70s i was still jumping on clouds trying to fall through one :)