Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Picked up a neat 1953 Ford convertible old mild custom yesterday

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Jul 12, 2015.

1. on my shoebox it the pads them selves would not seat for anything. I finally realized that the anchor pins were so bent that was the problem. I replaced them and it completely solved the problem.

2. @glandale yeah, I replaced everything but the shoes as they looked fine. New pins, springs, wheel cylinders, etc. Now it'll get new shoes too haha. Hopefully this gets it all working properly

3. That is a super clean ride! Love what you have done to it so far! I vote keep the floor shift and tube grill:cool:

4. I wouldn't toss that box in the trunk, either, it's as old as the work in the car.

5. Slopok

Slopok

That's the second parts car that you found that also looks to good to part out. A lot of guys would like to start out with something half as nice.

6. @Slopok yes I am going to sell it whole as well unless no one wants it. It will probably be pretty cheap too. If I had a place to put all this stuff I might actually keep the Vicky...it's a pretty nice car!

7. Got a set of new shoes yesterday and had the drums turned. Put it all together and everything looks good. Just need to swap the new shows on the other side, bleed the system and test drive it.

[​IMG]

8. Well first official "out of the neighborhood" drive tonight. Went about 15 miles and it did fine. Front end is a little loose and rattley, I'll have to go through it this winter

[​IMG]

jalopykid and Squablow like this.
  9. We are supposed to drive the 53 to a wedding this afternoon but it's a rainy day. Regardless, I spent the morning buffing the car and trying to bring the paint back to life. For me not really knowing what I'm doing it shined up pretty well

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

And done

[​IMG]

charleyw likes this.
  10. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looking GOOD! Are you going to drive that Convertible to Monitor

11. That's the plan unless the weather sucks

12. Got it on the highway today. Did really well. Cruises just fine at 55-60. If I really stand on the gas or climb a long hill it will loose power and buck a little like its starving for fuel. If I let off the gas for a couple seconds it's fine. So it is starving for fuel. But why? I checked the float level and it was fine. Maybe the pump can't keep up? I rebuilt the fuel pump and every single piece of the fuel system is new (including line). Anyone have ideas? It's nothing that will keep me on the side of the road I don't think, but annoying none the less

[​IMG]

Squablow likes this.
  13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'd think the electric pump would be able to keep up ok with the flathead. I ran one of those little Purolator cube pumps on a 76 Cad Seville I had changed to carb years ago.
    I'd check for restrictions in the line (s) either a twisted, smashed or kinked steel line or rubber line. If you see a fitting that looks like it has been changed out, check to see that it doesn't have a built in restriction in it. I had a dual 4 327 back in the 70's that someone had stuck a natural gas fitting with about an 1/8 orifice in the hookup to the carbs. It ran ok until you got on it and then it ran out of gas until you let up and the bowls filled in the carb.

14. F-head

F-head

rod worn?
    try a thinner stand gasket?
    cam lobe?

15. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

This shot makes me think of a Weesner drawing. Looks awesome! Love the stance.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Nice score Chris.Looks like a fun family ride.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

17. @F-head I compared the push rod to a new one and the length was fine. I have one stand gasket on and it's just a regular old paper one. I'm leaning twards a worn cam. This car had an electric pump on it when I got it, bypassing the mechanical pump. So I think it may have had a problem to begine with. I may try shimming the fuel pump push rod to give it more lift...worse case I have a new Carter 6V pump sitting here I can put on it.

18. The mail man was nice to me yesterday, I won this on Ebay for what I thought was a pretty good deal considering what restored ones go for. It needs some work but will be perfect in the Sunliner

[​IMG]

StrickV8 and Squablow like this.
  19. Well I drove it to work today...or tried. About half way to work it acted like it ran out of gas, although has about 3/4 of a tank. I tried getting it started but finally had my wife come flat tow me back home. While being towed I put it in 3rd and let off the clutch...let it go a little ways, hit the key and it fired. So it must be the pump or somthing clogging the tank or fuel line. I'm going to investigate tonight, and if I see nothing blocking the line I will install the electric pump and hopefully be done with this...it's getting old quick haha! I still think the cam lobe is worn and just not pumping enough fuel, but not rueling anything out

[​IMG]

20. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Keep at it, you'll figure it out.

21. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

I had a rubber hose that connects the hard line to the tank develop a crack and that gave me problems like you are having

22. Well I think I fixed it?! After work I took the sending unit out and looked inside. I saw some debris...nothing big but figured I should clean the whole system. So drained and pulled the tank. Washed it out with the garden hose and blew air through the pickup tube a ton. Then the fuel line. Had the filter off so cut it open and it looked clean inside. While everything was off I ran a 6' piece of 5/16 hose from the pump to a can of gas I had just drained. Fired the car up, removed hose from gas can. Waited for it to start to die and dropped the hose back in the tank. It only took a second or two for the sediment bowl to get fuel rushing in and the car picked up and kept running. So I'd say the mechanical fuel pump is working well. Hooked everything back up, moved the filter location as it looked like the filter line could have been pinched in a curve, checked all fittings and clamps for tightness and took it for a drive. The starvation for fuel on heavy acceleration and climbing hills is gone. I tried getting it to do anything unusual but it ran fine. So hopefully my fuel problems are gone

One question though, while running I occasionally see what looks like a rush of tiny bubbles in the sediment bowl. Just every so often and it does not seem to effect it. Could this be signs of a problem?

23. ROBERT JAM

ROBERT JAM

It's getting air from some where

24. Steves46

Steves46
    from Florida

I went through the same thing with my 46. Replaced the hose and the problem went away.

25. Well I guess I should wrap this thread up by saying I drove the car on our reliability run and it did a flawless 350 miles! Goes down the road nice and smooth! This winter/next year I plan to have a top installed, all new top seals, rebuild the leaky steering box and entire front end, and just keep driving it. I need to go through the 3rd member as well, as the crush sleeve is gone so the pinion is slightly loose. And at some time put the overdrive transmission in it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And when I think it needs it, I picked this nice rear clip yesterday from a fellow V8 member who has saved it for 35 years. It will repair all the "wrong" with my rear quarters that were radioused out and poorly repaired years ago.

[​IMG]

Tiny likes this.
  26. Figured I should bring this thread back from the dead with an update. My friend Paul at Cedardale Upholstrey did a top for the car, I picked it up last weekend. It looks fantastic! I'm glad to have the car home. I also splurged for a sought after accessory steering wheel and I chromed the garnish moldings for the inside of the windshield which I installed as well. Summer is coming!!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Tiny, jalopykid, Gotgas and 1 other person like this.
  27. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Looks Great Chris!

28. Man that top is oh so perfect.

29. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

30. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Lookin good Chris!