Register now to get rid of these ads!

picked me up a 51 mercury

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jfrolka, Apr 11, 2010.

1. jfrolka

jfrolka

I was browsing thru craigslist looking for a project for my buddy when I came across an add for 51 merc coupe for sale. I went and checked it out and got hooked! I ended up selling my 64 cadillac to my buddy and pickin up the 51 for myself.

The 64 was my first time really building a car for myself and I learned quite a bit and was craving a entire build from scratch. I have been building frames and doing metalwork for a couple of my buddys for awhile now and learning a lot so this should be real fun.

To the point... its a 51 mercury coupe rolling shell basically. Not chopped, shaved or modified in any way that I can see. I got the front/back bumpers for it and most of the dash. The car came with a set of aftermarket rockers, dont know what brand they are but hopefully their the reputable ones I hear about. I posted some pics of the rockers, hopefully someone can id them.

It needs some work in the floorboards but the trunk is real clean, door bottoms solid, quarters solid, drivers side fender got a little chewed but no rot.

So far I have removed the drivers side rocker. Passenger side was already removed. Took the doors, front sheetmetal off. Some of the door hinge bolts were stuck so I had to drill them out, but other than that so far so good.

I definitly want to chop it and leave the 51 rear window in. I still cant decide whether I want to leave the b pillars straight vertical or very slightly angle them. Lower it, no airbags. Get the 51 skirts for it. No side trim, wipers, badges, but I am thinking of keeping doorhandles on it. I never see doorhandles anymore, maybe i'll be the only one tryin to bring em back in style

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 11, 2010
  2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I'm likin' it, and likin' your idea of keeping the door handles! Great score!

3. big creep

big creep

what did you pay for it? just curious.

4. jfrolka

jfrolka

Heres the rockers..

And here are the handles I want to run.. 60-62 caddy doorhandles

Attached Files:

5. big creep

big creep

6. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

"Kustom" work to put door handles on a '51 Merc? Door handles ON? For shame!

Idk what kind of rockers they are, but they look like they could be nice! They aren't Green Mountain that I know of, unless from a different supplier. I believe he changed sheetmetal shops a few years back (two maybe?) so perhaps this is an earlier batch. I did notice the factory drain holes in the bottom, so chances are that if someone took the time to punch those in place and make the whole nosecone that goes under the fender on the outside of the A pillar, they probably didn't skimp on the curvature. You will know within 2 minutes if they are right or wrong, right as you go about hanging them!

That is a solid car, great score! Solid door bottoms. Damn! Best of luck with it.

7. jfrolka

jfrolka

Ya I know i'm gonna get shit for the handles.

Ya their def the nicest repro panel I have seen, lotta time invested. The previous guy had them blasted so maybe their a really old pair or were just left outside.

I'm on the hunt for a steering box/column for it. I have all the tierods up to the pitman arm but thats it. I dont really wanna do a different column but theres always the option. I also need to get my hinges fixed, their pretty worn out.

8. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

I have one, but I have a crazy project I have it earmarked for, I "may" end up with a spare if I am able to score a pair of Mercs near me, make two into one type deal, if I do I'll let you know.

9. Congats on the merc !!! I like what you have planned for it.

10. Looks like a clean car and the starting price sounds more than fair.

How about some Lincoln push buttons instead? Though one way I have diverged from a classic 50's chopped Merc look is that I added in a Hudson fuel filler door rather since I don't want to fill the gas by popping the trunk.

11. Sweet, I like 51's extended fenders

12. jfrolka

jfrolka

Keep me in the loop if you come across a spare, much appreciated.

Jeff, I like the stance of yours... how much did you lower yours?

I dont really like the look of the just the pushbutton, maybe I could hide it.

13. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks like a solid project id say you did good , hope you post some build photos , mercs are cool

14. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Congrat's.Looking forward to seeing a build thread.

15. Looks like a great deal. Hope to follow your progress...

16. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

pretty nice start!! looks solid. i think they are the green mountain rockers chris, but like you said a different batch. good to see ya pop up too!!! the ones on my 51 im playing with look identical to those. they were put on the car about 15 yrs ago the guy said. keep us updated with pics and i vote for a slanted pillar. just looks so right with the line of the back window.

17. jfrolka

jfrolka

I'll be posting pics as much as possible, still unloading in the new shop so its gonna be slow for the next week. Thanks guys, hope to be cruisin real soon.

18. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

always been crazy 'bout a Mercury---envy you. what grille you planning??

19. rustyhood

rustyhood

Yes sir...nice find, I will be looking for your build thread. That body looks solid and will be a nice project.

20. jfrolka

jfrolka

I like the desoto grill teeth but I'm thinking of losing the bottom flat part of the tooth that sits on the splash pan. Might have to re-cast a couple so I can put them on a floating bar. Got some plans.

21. UnIOnViLLEHauNT

UnIOnViLLEHauNT

Thanx Matt! Your facebook post on my page made me get back on, hadn't been on in forever. Forgot how much good Merc stuff was a happenin' on this place.

Yeah that could be about the rockers, I just have never seen the ones that Mr. Merc was supplying (back in the day) but I heard they were nice. For all I know they could have been reboxed Green Mountain rockers under Mr. Mercs name! I have not seen the ones Mercuryland sells either (in person) but in video they do look nice, just priiiiicey. $500 or something? They do however make a 4 door slip on that they claim has the correct curve but flat sill area, substantially less money. It just gets welded to the quarter panel anyway haha.

22. jfrolka

jfrolka

got the floor framed out for the most part and did the trans/driveshaft tunnel... gettin somewhere

Attached Files:

23. jfrolka

jfrolka

Started the chop. 4.25" vertical on a-pillar with 6" vertical in c-pillar. Im gonna do a very slight slant on the b pillar. Keeping the 51 rear window.

I did a couple quick drill holes in the A and C pillars to put a 18 gauge plate behind and plug weld for a good foundation to work off of.

Attached Files:

24. chopnweld

chopnweld
    from Nor Cal

Forgot about this Merc build; glad to see you are still at it. You may pass me up soon! Nice flow on the roof line. Keep it up!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  25. billys54

billys54

26. jfrolka

jfrolka

So im really on the fence of keeping the metal top on the this thing or going CARSON TOP??????!!!!!! I really dig the carson top in black canvas. Maybe finish the metal work and make that a removable top??

27. hvychvy

hvychvy

Lookin good!! I vote for keeping the top.It will be kool either way,keep us posted.

28. WHAT??????? Carson tops have to be white! Otherwise they look bad. Just leave the top on and finish chopping it!!!

29. twochops

twochops

jfrolka---If you don't clone everyone else they won't like you.
    TwoChops