Register now to get rid of these ads!

Photoshop ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -, Mar 25, 2004.

1. I got my 32 home last night and I want to play around with chopping it on Photoshop. I can do a straight chop but without airbrushing I can't do a angled chop. Is there a way to rotate the section you cut out to give it that angled look? I am using the tape to get an accurate cut in photoshop. I'm using MGI Photosuite if that matters.

I know I'm getting a little ahead of myself with chopping it. I need to get a chassis under it and some of the bad areas fixed first.
    Clark

Attached Files:

2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Hot Rod Ron's 5W deuce had a angle chop ( 3 1/2 out of the front, 4 1/2 out of the back ). It looked like shit.
    We raised it back up to a straight 3" chop.

3. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Ya know... I was wondering about how to do an angle chop with PhotoShop the other day... I'm glad you asked.

MetalShapes... isn't that the point of PhotoChopping?? Mess around with an idea to see if it works or not before ya start cutting metal or spending cash. I do agree with you that an angle chop would probably not work in this case.

4. 3 1/2 out of front and 4 1/2 out of the back????? That would look like shit [​IMG]
    I want to try 4 1/2 in the front and 4 in the back.
    Without the rest of the car mocked together it's still gonna be hard to tell if it's gonna look right.
    Clark

5. Sweet! I know you exude an abundance of creativity...I also know your blood runs traditional (please fellas, no definitions/debate)....photoshop for fun but be very care not to re-invent. Have fun!

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

[ QUOTE ]

MetalShapes... isn't that the point of PhotoChopping??

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is...
    I just made my reply because we thought a real live angle chop with more taken out of the back looked like ass...
    One with more taken out of the front would probably look a whole lot better.
    Also this is the first time I unchopped a car, and I thought that was funny...

7. Metalshapes ...It really had more out of the back???
    I just thaught that was an error in typing. Taking more out of the back works on customs but never a Hot Rod.

I don't want a big rake on the roof. Just a little. Either a quarter or a half at the most. I do want a radical chop on it.
    Clark

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

Yeah, they took more out of the back...
    But honestly, I am not sure it was planned that way, there was a lot more wrong with it than just that angle chop.
    ( somebody might have just made a mistake measureing ).
    The cowl was not from the same car as the rear of the car, and the rear had been rolled.
    They also chopped it before the had doors and they did not lengthen the roof, so the thing ended up to short.
    Ron found steel doors and a steel decklid for it and we had to cut the body in 5 pieces to make everything line up...

9. =mike=

=mike=

You cant chop a car like that more in the back ?!?! Regardless , I'm not a big fan of sloped chops on hot rods in any direction , but it could be cool if you did it the amount you are saying , not enough to look stupid . Kind of 60's style showrod stuff . . .

Attached Files:

10. Django

Django
    from Chicago

ok, I'll bite. I think it could look good...

Attached Files:

11. Mike's looks like it has just a little too much angle.
    Django's looks great but doesn't look angled.
    How did you guys get the angle?

12. =mike=

=mike=

"free rotate" , & "move" , on the photoshop . just drag it around till it looks right . I cut it the amount you had taped off ( close as I could ) . . . I think it looks better with a little more than a little less , otherwise you can't really tell it is angled . PLUS once you get it all together and if it sits level or dropped in the front , that will make a little difference too . I think it could look really cool .

13. After lookin at Mike's a second time I'm liking it more.
    Thanks for both pics!!
    Clark

14. Rix2Six

Rix2Six
    from So. Cal.

Wow Metalshapes... sounds like that car was quite a project. It's always harder to fix someone else's mistakes.

15. Anderson

Anderson

Threw it in a chassis...

Attached Files:

16. metalshapes

metalshapes

We are not out of the woods yet...
    We plan to have it on the road in about a month or so.
    It still needs a ton of metalwork, but we can do that once he is driving it.

17. Django

Django
    from Chicago

Yeah, it's angled, but you only asked for 1/2" difference. Compare it to the angles of your pic. Mike's looks more like it's 1-1 1/2" difference. When I cut it straight across at the back, there was still tape showing on the front, so I cut the front down that much.

I do it with multiple layers and cutting sections of the top and moving them as a layer, not unlike actually doing the metalwork. I use masks too.

18. 41ChevyTrucker

41ChevyTrucker

bored @ work so here's my version. I like the angled look. in photoshop I use lots of layers, blend tool and tranform. also there is a cool tool called "clone stamp" that lets you extend body lines. not that it helps you with the accuracy part doh!

Attached Files:

19. Ragtop

Ragtop
    Member Emeritus

I always thought Deuce 5 windows look best with a straight chop where the rear side windows were almost square. Don't have a clue how much that is though.

20. Fat Hack

Fat Hack
    from Detroit

Aw, ferget the angle...just chop & section the hell outta the thing!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Attached Files:

21. plmczy

plmczy

Holy chit, that looks to be in pretty good shape. Do I see an eastcoast HAMB chop coming up? I know you guy's can do it no prob, but it would be cool for us not in the know come an see how it's done, maybe get dirty. Maybe an eastcoast HAMB thrash so you have it ready for the Jalopy Showdown [​IMG]. later plmczy

22. K&R... I wish it was that easy!!!
    Django...Thanks again!! I don't think my photosuite has layers.
    41Chevy...Ilike the leaned front post. Hell you even fixed the bad areas.
    Fat hack...You're just trying to make more work for me.
    Clark

23. Plmcrzy... we're gonna need to do a thrash to get some stuff done before the Showdown. The 32 is gonna sit for a bit. I'm gonna build a modified REAL quick before Larry's show. I've got a couple of tricks for the 32 chassis and they're gonna take too much time to get it ready for Larry's show.
    Clark

24. 331caddy

331caddy

KUSTOMS AND ROCKETS do you have alll the photos of that car that was on ebay that you put that 32 5 window on???? pm me if you do

25. fatabone

fatabone

Here is a pic of Ron's unchopped 32.

Attached Files:

26. hatch

hatch
    from house

Here ya go...DONE!!!

Attached Files:

27. What Metalshapes said about the car is right on. when I bought the car in a package deal with some other secert stuff that Metalshapes and myself wanted. The car also has 227 bullet holes in it as well hence the name of (the 227 bullet coupe). It had no doors when I got it. Put in a call to Buddy from Hot Trio fame and Pres of the Lucky Devils of Santa Ana Ca. Buddy hooked me up with some doors. I also had gotten 3" sections from another 5 window coupe to help repair the top of the car. Without the doors and the 3" sections Metalshapes and myself would have had a next to impossible time of chopping it correctly. The car was abused real bad but is coming back to life slowley. This is the worst car that I have ever undertook to rebuild. Thanks to Metalshapes for helping me out and teaching the tricks of how the metal goods like Metalshapes do their work. More updates will be coming soon so, Stay tuned to your HAMB channel.