Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Period correct license plate

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wbsrodshop, Oct 9, 2015.

1. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

I have a question for you... I´m building a 34 Tudor and it´s not period perfect but i aime on havi´n it look like it could have been built in the mid-fifties (283 with power packs etc). At least that feel... What would be the right year license plate for it? I´m swedish so i can´t use it on the road anyway i know a little about your Yom plates. But I would like to have one period correct for shows and photoshoots...
    [​IMG]

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

I would go with the 56 plates. YOM doesn't always agree with the period the car is trying to represent. Fifties hot rods and customs could get away with YOM plates as many brand new cars were immediately hot rodded or customized. Thirties cars were done in the forties and fifties. I have been playing with ideas on how to get away with running newer plate than the year of one of my cars (50 Ford). I've got some ideas but haven't done anything yet. For photo shoots having a period to the build plate is a good idea. Do the photos in black and white and that would really look good.

kiwijeff likes this.

3. Finding a tag from the mid 50's that defines the era you are striving to achieve would be cool,especially if you were to use it at shows. HRP

i.rant likes this.
  4. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

Thank you! Glad to get some input!

1927graham likes this.
  5. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

That plate is actually a trailer plate, two sets of three numbers

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I agree that 56 plates would be cool, or even the 1963-1969 Black background/yellow letters. of course California plates would be cooler than any other state since this is where all the cool cars come from:)

...and since you only need one, or a pair that is not DMV clear to be used on a car here you would save a bunch of money.

7. I think probably a later '50s plate would be appropriate for the average rodder when the small blocks became more prevalent in the wrecking yards. If it were me I would avoid a California plate like the plague. I got nothing against California (I am from the west coast) but they are played out, to stand out I may be looking for a Kansas plate ( they were shaped like the state) or an east coast plate.

olcurmdgeon likes this.
  8. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

I've been thinking about a texas plate, thats where the car came from....

40fordtudor and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

'34 Texas is still the black over yellow plate I believe

10. Put a wanted ad for a pair of plates that are NOT clearable for YOM use. They will be a lot cheaper. Even cheaper you could use two single plates, how many people remember the license plate number as they walk from one end of the car to the other at a show? I intend to use the second alternative for my '31 RDPU since California commercial plates for 1931 in YOM clearable pairs are almost impossible to find and very expensive when you do find them (if anyone has a pair please email me). I think mid fifties plates that are black with yellow letters would look best on your car. If you don't like that idea you can go to http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/ and pick a plate that goes with the color of your car.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  11. ..............................Correct. $_35.JPG

40fordtudor likes this.
  12. dodge35

dodge35
    from kentucky

That is one beautiful 34, it's a shame that you can't drive it.

13. clem

clem

Why can't you use it on the road? Tough laws? Wheel on the wrong side ?

14. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

If I read the original post correctly, I believe he means he can't drive it on the road with American plates. And just wants plates for shows and photo shoots. At least that's how I read it.

Squablow likes this.
  15. wbsrodshop

wbsrodshop
    from Mo, Sweden

55 Ford gasser is right I can drive it with swedish plates. I just think american plates look cooler for shows etc..

16. 2racer

2racer

17. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

fer sure 1956 cali plate... or even a 1951 Cali plate.
    I have some 1941 Cali plates with 1942 plate toppers. but I personally think they are too old for a rodded or customized car from the 30s.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  18. Black CA plates like the hot rods in the '60's magazines had; but those '34 TX plates would be cool too.

19. j3harleys

j3harleys

I run a 1962 plate on my deuce. It was built in the 60s and it's pretty darn close to the way it was I have just a few things to get it all the way to period correct. It is registered with a horseless caraige plate with a letter to use the 1932 plate that I have but I run the 62 plate. A lot of people don't get it but that's ok. I Evan had an officer ask me once how I could have that plate on there, I just said who said I can't he just shrugged . I don't think the police want mess with a bunch of goofy old bastards. So if I was you I was you I would put what looks right to you. Oh by the way cool car.

20. For me it would be a tough decision between a California black plate and a California '34 plate. Remember that once you get away from plate pairs that can be used for YOM registration the price falls considerably. A single plate (all you need for a photo shoot) or an unmatched pair should be fairly cheap. EBAY would be a good place to brush up on prices. Place a wanted ad or contact some of the people that sell or restore plates and see if you can find a set that was restored for YOM use and then found to be not clearable. Then there are the reproduction plates made of aluminum as an option. When I ship plates I cut 3 pieces of heavy cardboard about 1 1/2 inches wider than the plate. I then use painters tape to attach the plate to both sides of one piece of cardboard so it won't move around. Next I add a piece of cardboard to the front and back followed by a lot of clear shipping tape. If you are worried you could add a piece of thin plywood to the center of the sandwich to make it more rigid.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  21. A Boner

A Boner

On one of my cars, I bought some California year of period (not year of manufacture) 1956 plates, then I got some Wisconsin personalized plates with those same letters and numbers. Don't know if when I get stopped that the cop will believe I forgot to change them out, but having the same number might help him believe I didn't have any criminal intent.

55 Ford Gasser likes this.
  22. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I wish we could run period representation plates instead of year of manufacture. That would be a great look.

23. If your going to use it just for shows, I would pick and era and look on google for ALL the different state plates and choose on that looks the most odd.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like your line of thinking, Plates that match the build era for show rather than YOM plates that would have matched the brand new version the day it rolled off the show room floor at the dealers. Personally I can never figure out why hot rodders are so hung up on having YOM plates on a car that is hot rodded to represent a specific time frame years later or worse yet these mod rods that pack YOM plates.

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

26. I live in Illinois where use of yom is quite limited.
    I bought a near NOS pair of 1961 IL plates for my avatar because the period was close and the IL colors look really good with the rod.
    I haven' t run them on the street for fear of a hassle.

27. Here in California it's next to impossible to find a car with anything older then '63 plates (black plates) with regular registration (not YOM). All my cars had the new white reflective plates on them so for me it was YOM only.

Lame:
    [​IMG]
    SUPER lame (legacy plates) + $50 to apply and $40 a year.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  28. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Any side shots of the sedan? Looks like a bad ass ride.