Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ~~~ peaking & polishing a 32 axle ~~~

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 117harv, Dec 31, 2013.

1. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Since the channel between the flanges on the original Ford axles ends in a nice rectangular end at the spindle boss rather than the tapered round end todays aftermarket axle have no one should think it is a new axle.

2. There's no doubt that this axle is beautiful.
    The craftsman ship is beyond outstanding.

I just experience nervousness about removing all the good metal to bring the depth of the pits to the surface and sanded out.

117harv likes this.
  3. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1466 (Small).JPG HPIM1467 (Small).JPG HPIM1537 (Small).JPG HPIM1468 (Small).JPG HPIM1470 (Small).JPG HPIM1511 (Small).JPG I worked on the ends today, thought I might have to do some filling but all went smoothly...pun intended:p The first three pics and second three respectivly, are before and afters.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    mgtstumpy, kidcampbell71 and -Brent- like this.
  4. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Hot rod jewelry.

117harv likes this.
  5. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1474 (Small).JPG HPIM1495 (Small).JPG HPIM1493 (Small).JPG HPIM1501 (Small).JPG HPIM1525 (Small).JPG HPIM1531 (Small).JPG HPIM1490 (Small).JPG To do the king pin ends I used tapered rolls, straight rolls, flap discs and scotch brite pads, followed by fingers and emery cloth. To do the recess I took a piece of cold bar the right width and tall enough to grip the emery cloth at each end. I contoured the ends and sides to fit. I used two grits of paper, the coarse is too wide and it works great to get the flat and side smoothed, followed by the finer grit.

As for the questions about the web thickness, I used an outside caliper and checked several areas of the stock and polished axle. I used a veneer caliper to check the outside and inside of the outside caliper, before and after removal from the axles and came up with the following measurements. After polishing, the recess was 55-65 thousandths thinner depending on area measured. Factory thickness is 200-215 thick. I also used the caliper to measure the wishbone mount, you can see how much under 2" it is, chrome will take up some, but a shim will be needed. All holes will get a kiss with the chamfer bit as well.

In addition, a stock 32 axle weighs 23.2 lbs. the polished is 22 lbs. even. I still have some minor detailing to do, but the weight should not be any less. This is the last post on the polish/tech, the final post will be the completed axle.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
  6. doctorZ

doctorZ

holy crap that's beautiful!!

117harv likes this.
  7. A Rodder

A Rodder

Harv, how many hours.......don't lie!

8. 117harv

117harv

Joe, I kept track at first, but 45 min. here and 1/12 hr. here I dont have an accurate count. My best guess with time left to finish will be 15 hrs. give or take a half hour. I work on it in between other work in the shop, I hope to have it done in a few days....thanks for the comments guys:)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Nice. Harv. If mine would have been that banged and gouged up, I'd have done something similar but the only damage I could find with mine was stretched numbers/letters from dropping it. I drilled mine and had it jet-hot coated as it was too rough [and too expensive] to chrome.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. I wouldn't be able to run that axle. I'd frame it and hang it on a wall instead.

Nice work Harv!

kidcampbell71 and 117harv like this.
  11. Harv, thats amazing ! it looks exactly like mine...LOL..........

117harv likes this.
  12. 30TudorSedan

30TudorSedan

Wow! Amazing work!

117harv likes this.
  13. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

You are the master of detail on axles. Please wrap carefully and send it to the Henry Ford Museum for display.

117harv likes this.
  14. Fleetliner

Fleetliner
    from Oregon

Great work once again. Same great eye to detail as all the work you have done for me.

117harv likes this.
  15. 117harv

117harv

HPIM1571 (Small).JPG HPIM1581 (Small).JPG HPIM1573 (Small).JPG HPIM1589 (Small).JPG HPIM1575 (Small).JPG HPIM1595 (Small).JPG HPIM1601 (Small).JPG Here is the final product, I have done all I can on my end, the final work will be done by the chromer. This was a massive amount of work, I hope it will be all that the owner expects, and lives a long life under the front of a bitchen traditional hotrod...ORIGINAL parts rule!

I would like to thank all here who take the time to take pics and document their builds/tech threads. Doing a thread like this is alot of work, setting up the parts and or pieces during the process, taking clear pics, going through them and picking the best ones and adding the text. The HAMB is about sharing, and if this thread answered questions someone may have had, inspired someone to try it for themselves, or just made for a good read, than it was all worth it...thanks for all the comments guys:)

peaked 1932 heavy ford i-beam axle

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    ratrodrodder, RICH B, ls1yj and 4 others like this.
  16. Good read and inspired. I've got a victim hanging on my wall! Thanks for showing the way

117harv likes this.
  17. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Incredible.....a true piece of art. Awesome job, Harv.

117harv likes this.
  18. chopt31

chopt31

wow, too nice to chrome

Atwater Mike and 117harv like this.
  19. NealinCA

NealinCA

I just keep coming back to look. That is an amazing job! Thanks for taking the time to document the process.

Neal

117harv likes this.
  20. LB+1

LB+1
    from 71291

Inpeckable hand eye work - just think of doing it all with hand files

117harv likes this.
  21. GARY?

GARY?

mucho perfecto

117harv likes this.
  22. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

23. chickenshift

chickenshift

wow that looks great

117harv likes this.
  24. 117harv

117harv

Thanks guys, I have a couple more tech. threads in the works, maybe in the next month or so.

25. rtomss

rtomss

Great job Harv!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

117harv likes this.
  26. 117harv

117harv

I have another little project, I thought I would just add it here instead of starting a new thread.

A HAMBer asked if I was interested in giving his early Chrysler axle the special treatment, as always the answer was yes. The axle is in good shape for it's age, but it has alot of pitting. It seems that all the parts shipped to me by other members have this type of pitting making the polishing/detailing job that much more difficult....enough complaining, time to get down to business.

Here are the first pics, as you can see I have my work cut out for me. I am useing a new type flap wheel that is exspensive, but man does it cut. I ran the first passes up against the forgings, the flap wheel has a nice square edge and does a great job. I polished around the tube in this direction untill I was about 3 inches away from the ends and then started polishing lengthwise on the tube so I wouldn't buzz into the forgings and make a gouge that would be difficult to repair. There is a small peg on the ends in between the rivets, more on this later.

Pics coming in the next post.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  27. 117harv

117harv

28. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

holy smokes, who makes that flapper disk, Harv?

29. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Show me more Harv. This little flapper does the job.

30. Is that a ceramic disc Harv? I've just started using ceramic sanding discs and 3m ceramic Rolok discs, man do they cut through the metal and they last about 3 times as long.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

117harv likes this.